+ Reply to Thread
Page 163 of 168 FirstFirst ... 63113153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168 LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,630 of 1676

Thread: Oprah

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Oprah

OK, so Patti made me cry!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    Back to the show...

I caught the one yesterday about Erin, the woman who died of breast cancer and had made video tapes of herself for her daughter when she was gone. I remember crying when I saw her on the show 10 years ago and was not even a mother yet, and I bawled my eyes out again yesterday. It was nice to see that her daughter appreciates the videos as a piece of the love her mother shared. Her final words that her husband shared yesterday - wow. So powerful.

I also remember when Mattie Stepanek was first on Oprah. I thought she had a really nice tribute to him today. To hear about what first brought him to Oprah and then the kind of relationship he had with her. Incredible. So old and wise beyond his years.
    I cried my heart out. Erin's daughter is beautiful, and a credit to her father, her mother, and her stepmother. I don't think I could be as brave as Erin.
    Mattie, dear little Mattie, before the message boards changed, he was on them for very short while. I was able to post to him, and he answered me and I saved it. It was about his heart songs. I know Oprah and Mattie emailed a lot, and I love that about her. I think Mattie's mother is also very brave. Those are our true Idols, imnsho

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    OK, so Patti made me cry!!!
    I've been crying most of the show! Like her or not, Oprah's made a huge impact on women all around the world. The young girls saying how they've been impacted was really touching.
    Count your blessings!

I saw a clip that showed Will Smith's wife telling Oprah that while she didn't have children, she has mothered millions. I realize that is supposed to be a compliment, however, IMO it's a backhanded compliment. It infers that you are at a loss somehow because you don't have kids. It's like they are offering you up some kind of consolation prize. I know it sounds picky, but that's how I see it. When someone is honoring you, they shouldn't point out what you don't have. It seems critical of Oprah not having children and calls attention to something that is none of Ms. Smith's business IMO.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I saw a clip that showed Will Smith's wife telling Oprah that while she didn't have children, she has mothered millions. I realize that is supposed to be a compliment, however, IMO it's a backhanded compliment. It infers that you are at a loss somehow because you don't have kids. It's like they are offering you up some kind of consolation prize. I know it sounds picky, but that's how I see it. When someone is honoring you, they shouldn't point out what you don't have. It seems critical of Oprah not having children and calls attention to something that is none of Ms. Smith's business IMO.
    I didnt take it this way. I think it is sweet. But what shocked me? Madonna has thick ankles!

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    I didnt take it this way. I think it is sweet. But what shocked me? Madonna has thick ankles!
    I hope Oprah didn't. I'm sure she was polite and humble, but I did see it that way. IMO it's like recoginizing a Special Olympics winner and saying to them on stage, While you are not very smart, you have conquered you physical disability. It's not very nice or well thought out IMO. You give them a compliment, but preface it with a comment about something they lack.

I'll check out Madonna's ankles. Does she still have her British accent? LOL

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I see what you're saying, but don't forget that Oprah has said before many times that she doesn't regret never having children, because she knows it would be impossible for her to have done what she has, and also be the kind of mother she'd want to be. Because of that, I think the comment from Will and Jada was acknowledging that the choice she's confident in was a good one, and one that is appreciated by many.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I see what you're saying, but don't forget that Oprah has said before many times that she doesn't regret never having children, because she knows it would be impossible for her to have done what she has, and also be the kind of mother she'd want to be. Because of that, I think the comment from Will and Jada was acknowledging that the choice she's confident in was a good one, and one that is appreciated by many.
    Plus she has stated, that her children are the ones that go to her school.I think its all very lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Plus she has stated, that her children are the ones that go to her school.I think its all very lovely.
    Correct, they were just reiterating a comment Oprah herself has made about the decision to not have children and that she has become a mother to all her school kids in Africa and the other children she has helped.

Patti Labelle still has it going on!
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread