+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 168 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

FORT Fanatic
    I think when your a "celebrity" people are critical no matter what. I watched some of the show yesterday and I like Nate too, but in a way Nate Berkus is bate for Oprah. He is a true ratings grabber. Im not saying its good or bad, it just is. He appeals to people because he comes across genuine. I sorta think they use each other. But the both end up rich, so it doesn't matter.

The Gayle King thing is getting out of hand. Gayle is no dummy, but in some ways I feel like Oprah typecast her. She had a solid career as a tv anchor, but her short lived talk show failed.

I think the "old" Oprah had appeal, because people could relate. She had problems and shared it on national tv. The Oprah we see today is very celebrity oriented, she might as well have a show like Ellen or what Rosie did.

FORT Fogey
    What? Nothing bad to say about Oprah's show on poverty and/or her dedicating portion of her show to catch sex offenders?

The poverty show was ridiculously depressing. I shut it off after about 2 minutes. There's just something about Oprah and Maria Shriver talking about poverty that made the show kind of silly. I kept thinking Maria &/or Oprah should just cut the poor people a check if they feel so bad for them. JMO.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by DetGuy
    What? Nothing bad to say about Oprah's show on poverty and/or her dedicating portion of her show to catch sex offenders?
    Ok, I didn't want to continue this discussion. I felt I've said enough. But this sarcastic remark just made me all fired up again.

Yes, DetGuy, every normal person in the country is applauding Oprah for her show on sex offenders. Every responsible person on this Earth will thank Oprah for that particular show. No questions about it.

At the same time I caught a few minutes of Oprah's other show about Katrina. She had a CNN reporter on it who happened to be in New Orleans the day BEFORE hurracaine.

He told Oprah that that day, again the day before the disaster, Amtrak offered the major of New Orleans an empty train with 1000 seats to evacuate some of the people. The mayor's and his office response was "Thank you, WE DON'T NEED IT". The Amtrak train left New Orleans EMPTY.

When I heard this I was shocked. Oprah's reaction? " Do you know this for sure?" The reporter's answer" Yes". Smile from Oprah and she went to another segment. If this is not bias, I don't know what it is.Things like this what make many former fans upset.

And don't even start me on the whole show dedicated to her hair.
    Last edited by Justafan1; 10-14-2005 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justafan1
    He told Oprah that that day, again the day before the disaster, Amtrak offered the major of New Orleans an empty train with 1000 seats to evacuate some of the people. The mayor's and his office response was "Thank you, WE DON'T NEED IT". The Amtrak train left New Orleans EMPTY.

When I heard this I was shocked. Oprah's reaction? " Do you know this for sure?" The reporter's answer" Yes". Smile from Oprah and she went to another segment. If this is not bias, I don't know what it is.Things like this what make many former fans upset.
    I caught this too and found it very ironic of her to cut Anderson Cooper off. Of course she wouldn't want to expose the fact that it was an error on the local government's part to get their people (those with no means of their own) out before the impending destruction... that wouldn't fit in with her fairy tale version of blaming the federal government for all of it)

FORT Fogey
    First off, I was talking about the most recent show on poverty, not the one on the Katrina issue (which just exposed the issue of poverty to American's who acted like it didnt exist). And as far as the whole Katrina thing goes, I know some people like to give Bush a free pass on everything, but at a fundamental level the role of government is to protect its people - if nothing else - and EVERY level failed in this situation. The local goverment should have done a better job of preparation but what happened days after the hurricane hit is another example of this administration's repeated incompetence and is inexcusable.

Quote Originally Posted by DetGuy
    First off, I was talking about the most recent show on poverty, not the one on the Katrina issue (which just exposed the issue of poverty to American's who acted like it didnt exist). And as far as the whole Katrina thing goes, I know some people like to give Bush a free pass on everything, but at a fundamental level the role of government is to protect its people - if nothing else - and EVERY level failed in this situation. The local goverment should have done a better job of preparation but what happened days after the hurricane hit is another example of this administration's repeated incompetence and is inexcusable.
    The show was about poverty and, in one segment, they did showcase the victims of Katrina (those so poor they didn't have a way out). I'll hand it to Oprah .. the show wasn't about government failures, and it is her show, so she can cut off any guest she pleases.... I'm just sure that if Anderson had said something disparaging about the federal government's response, Oprah would have let him continue with his exposure.

Getting back to the show, I kept hoping Oprah would give handouts to the people they interviewed. She is so generous at times, I thought she might give them a year of dental care or something. Not that she "should", I just hoped or thought she might. It just seemed somewhat cruel for these rich ladies to go into these people's homes/communities and quiz the people about what they couldn't afford when their limos were waiting for them outside.

I was very impressed with the people that they interviewed. They did not seem to be without hope. I'm glad they didn't take this "exposure" negatively. Let's all just hope and pray that Oprah's method of bringing the issue to light does help them out.

On the whole, I like Oprah. I just notice her biases so much, and actually think it's comical the way she preaches it (or snuffs out opposing ideas, as the case may be). But, again, it's her forum. She has that right. She definitely attracts an audience. Even those who disagree with her.

FORT Fogey
    I have a feeling that if Oprah had started handing out stuff people would have said on here that it was all about Oprah again and not the victims.

I won't get started on the whole issue of how Oprah has discovered poverty for us... she just cracked me up as she implied that no one knows about poverty. How she is exposing us to it for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by katkitty
    She (Oprah) can cut off any guest she pleases.... I'm just sure that if Anderson had said something disparaging about the federal government's response, Oprah would have let him continue with his exposure.
    Oh my.. she did cut off Anderson Cooper... didn't she... just right before she was about to call him a liar. hahaha! You could hear it in her voice.. she did not believe him & how dare him say something negative about her good friend the Mayor of New Orleans....

Quote Originally Posted by katkitty
    Getting back to the show, I kept hoping Oprah would give handouts to the people they interviewed.
    What I hope for... if Oprah does anything for them... is help the town get their zipcode so they can get the help from the federal government. That is the one thing that would give that tiny town the help it needs with the whole water issue.

There was a documentary on Kentucky & the people who never left the moutains that Maria Shiver's cousin... Rory Kennedy... did on poverty a few years ago... made me wonder if this is why Maria choosed to go there. It was a very powerful documentary and the Kennedy girl did an outstanding job on it...

What amazed me was that 3-4 year old girl that already had rotten teeth and the Mother had the same issue. All I could think was the Mother probably wasn't 35 years old yet and she was in such poor health.

FORT Fanatic
    detguy,

This is not an attack ,but you assume we think everything that Oprah does is in bad taste, but its mostly how she does things. Its all about her. If you watched her show in her earlier years she was much different. I havent watched Oprah much this week except for yesterday, because I thought her "top secret" or whatever you want to call it was an apology to the people at hermes. Oprah is very preachy, and likes to tell us what's important in life, and I guess for her, its a hermes bag.
    Last edited by jman79; 10-14-2005 at 12:33 PM.

+ Reply to Thread