+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oprah

Re: Oprah

I got to see the Barbra Streisand/Robert Redford interview yesterday – soooo glad I did – if only for Hubble.

who am I kidding - I always cry when she sings "the Way we WEre" - would love to find the movie on DVD and watch it again and again and again.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

I watched it and couldn't help thinking that Barbra was probably really annoyed that they spent so much time focusing on Redford!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Of course the very first thing that was noticeable was that Oprah sat on 'the other side' - I don't think I've ever seen her sit on that side - Babs is such a diva - I suppose she's earned it, but she poops on the crapper just like the rest of us.

Robert's comment about not doing interviews with her because he knew he wouldn't be able to get a word in edgewise and the first question O asked him, Babs answered........
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

How many of you are watching Oprah lately. I have been recording and watching it and I have been so blessed by it. I'm not sure if they are reruns or not, but some are. Yesterday they had Susan Lucia, Ginnie Frances, and other soap stars. I was crying it was so touching.

I also saw Marie Osmond on. I know that was a rerun. I cried like a baby, but it was also a blessing to see it. I could tell Oprah was quite moved.

I saw Oprah say that this final year she only wanted guests who she REALLY WANTED to talk to. It shows! This is truly the best of Oprah.

I missed the Meredith Baxter episode and really hope it gets repeated.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    How many of you are watching Oprah lately. I have been recording and watching it and I have been so blessed by it. I'm not sure if they are reruns or not, but some are. Yesterday they had Susan Lucia, Ginnie Frances, and other soap stars. I was crying it was so touching.

I also saw Marie Osmond on. I know that was a rerun. I cried like a baby, but it was also a blessing to see it. I could tell Oprah was quite moved.

I saw Oprah say that this final year she only wanted guests who she REALLY WANTED to talk to. It shows! This is truly the best of Oprah.
    True, but about three weeks of reruns when she's only a couple of months away from wrapping it up for good is a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I also saw Marie Osmond on. I cried like a baby, but it was also a blessing to see it. I could tell Oprah was quite moved.
    I watch Oprah pretty regular or at least a topic I may be interested in. Anyway, yes there seems to be allot of repeating lately.
    I cried as well at the Marie Osmond show with Oprah. Oh dear Lord, to lose a child to suicide … just so incredibly painful.
    What confused me about all this was her son Michael loved her so much. You could tell by all his actions throughout his life as she shared with the audience. And he would say to Marie over and over again "I just want you to be happy" … Now by doing this, did Michael really think his Mom would be happy … that is what I am trying to figure out … did he not think that she would be beyond devastated at taking his life from her's … and from his brothers and sisters … ?

So sad. So very sad.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    I watch Oprah pretty regular or at least a topic I may be interested in. Anyway, yes there seems to be allot of repeating lately.
    I cried as well at the Marie Osmond show with Oprah. Oh dear Lord, to lose a child to suicide … just so incredibly painful.
    What confused me about all this was her son Michael loved her so much. You could tell by all his actions throughout his life as she shared with the audience. And he would say to Marie over and over again "I just want you to be happy" … Now by doing this, did Michael really think his Mom would be happy … that is what I am trying to figure out … did he not think that she would be beyond devastated at taking his life from her's … and from his brothers and sisters … ?

So sad. So very sad.
    Yes, the depressed person truly believes that everyone would be better off without them. Remember when Marie said she felt like that when she had postpartum depression, but because she was an adult woman, she was able to reason herself out of that way of thinking. She went to a phone and called for help. If you are a younger person with not as much life experience, then your mind convinces you of this lie. That's why depressed people do the most bizarre things. They truly believe that their pain is so bad that only death will end it.

FORT Fogey

Marie Walsh is promoting her book on Oprah and has a bunch more interviews scheduled. She is not going to sell one book because she has told her story and it isn't compelling enough to buy for any more details. The Cliffs Notes version works for me!

FORT Fanatic

I work during the day and only tape where a show seems unusually interesting - which is not that often.

As to why Marie Osmond's son would commit suicide, he really did think the world would be better off without him. It's all part of the illness. You cannot judge him as a rational person.

An idiot co-worker of mine made some nasty comment about why anyone would be dumb enough to commit suicide. When a relative of hers took her own life, I didn't hear any more stupid comments from her again.

+ Reply to Thread