+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 168 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm
    -
    -Someone mentioned Oprah's 'best friend' Gayle. OMG I get SO SICK of hearing about GAYLE and Gayle's KIDS and Gayle's DIVORCE, BLAH BLAH BLAH. Gayle isn't stupid, she knows what she's doing... Imagine how much Gayle benefits from being Oprah's 'best friend' Gayle is the head of "O Magazine", GEE, wonder how she got that great job?! LOL!!!!! She should be ashamed of herself if you ask me...JMO.
    Gail was our local news anchor for years, in Hartford CT, and is accomplished in the same field as Oprah. They were friends in college while majoring in journalism. Of course she got that job because of her connection but is highly qualified at the same time.

I go hot and cold on Oprah. My biggest beef is her jawboning about how people are born to do something grand, God has a greater plan, etc. Not everyone is destined to make big changes in the world. Living our lives with integrity and compasion is enough. We all touch each other in many small ways and that is as admirable and giving 10 million to hurricane victims or becoming directly involved in causes.

I do know why she continues to mention the 10 mil, though. She gets a lot of mail saying 'put you money where your mouth is'. Some mail said, you tell us to take in a family and are you going to do that? You say to give to Katrina victims but what are you doing, other than grandstanding on TV, etc.

Queen Latifa was a recent guest on the show and was asked by ET what Oprah said to her in the green room. Queen laughed and replied something to the effect of, "OHHHH you do not see Oprah until you go out on stage, she is the star." I saw the show and after the applause died Oprah mentioned the fan fare. Queen said, "the audience is here to see you, not me!" And that is true. People probably get tickets and do not even know who is going to be on.

That is absolutely true! I went to the show once and they absolutely won't tell you who or what the subject is going to be until you are sitting in your seat in the studio. I am guessing for some there is a "casting call" such as are you so and so's biggest fan, and they call them to come to the show but for most there is definately no telling who or what you will see.

I had recorded a couple of shows in the last week to see if things have "shaped up" since I watch the show with Jennifer Aniston. They have not. It's worse.

I guess what I am not a fan of is the sudden need to have 4 different topics on one show. None of the topics are even worth mentioning if you are going to give them more than 6 mintues of air time with Oprah refusing to let her guest speak. Where are the producers for this show? Have they all been fired?

Then I go on line, to see when Anderson Cooper is going to be on this week...(wednesday) and notice one of her shows this week is dedicated to her "hair-do". Holy cow... please tell me that she is not going to spend an entire hour talking about her hair.

Bopping to my own beat! realityluver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy
    realityluver: I'm from Illinois originally, and I remember when Oprah first came to Chicago from what seemed like out of nowhere at the time. At that time it was questioned in the press 'why is Chicago making such a big deal out of this woman' etc. People said the show would fail.

Then, and also later when she caught flack for talking about her life on the show (such as being raped as a child) I stuck up for her in conversations if I heard something like that. Cos I felt she was being honest. And the focus was on the guest, with Oprah mentioning things from her life to show empathy for her guests.

Then all of a sudden it seemed like she got herself straight and had no patience for any suffering on her show any more. Like she'd just roll her eyes. Then she announced she was gonna quit cos she felt her show had run its gamut. Then she decided she'd stay but her shows were not going to be about 'problems' any more. That only seemed to reinforce what I had felt intuitively about her having changed her attitude towards others.

All these people saying they think it's gotten too much about the host and not about the guests, they're saying it for a reason. Very few people could withstand this amount of attention and lionisation and not succumb to some egotism. Either that or they crash & burn and self reflect a while. Just seems to me like Oprah's ego gets bigger & bigger with little self reflection. On her show she began acting sort of infantile in some of the segments. In other words she's become a caricature of herself.

We liked Oprah when she seemed like one of us. Now it's like she is on some other planet where the air's a little too thin. I don't watch Ellen's show either, so I can't comment on her show. But believing one's own fans and press is a danger to any celebrity. Oprah's fallen under its spell in my personal opinion. And to me that is not interesting to watch. Rosie on her blog just said that she (Rosie) was always more interested in the audience than the guests... I think it is vital for a talk show host to stay in touch with the audience. Oprah is not. I think it all got old and jaded for her a long time ago. A lot of things have come and gone about the show but the long long applause for Oprah is a mainstay. I find it creepy.
    Believe it or not I do understand what people are saying about Oprah and her show. I'm not a daily watcher either (anymore), and I was a huge Oprah fan. I said this back a few pages, but no matter what she does there will be people who praise her for it as well as those who will talk about her. A lot of times she's in a damned if she does damned if she doesn't situation. I still like her and admire her for her many accomplishments, and I don't think there will ever be anyone like her.
    Phenomenal woman... that's me!!!

I wasn't trying to take away from her accomplishments realityluver and forgive me if I in any way implied you were unable to understand anything including what I was getting at. I wasn't meaning anything that way.

I do think she has changed and she is letting her current audience down. As long as she is on the air she will also be judged by her current behavior/performance. As it should be IMO. Johnny Carson was brilliant because he let the guest shine. Even being a fellow comedian he let the comedians he had as guests shine and be the funny ones. A lot of hosts today could learn from him.

I don't feel I have a bias toward her, as in doggone if she does or she doesn't. I hope to think I judge if at all on someone's own actions, not the past. Or who I think they are.

Where are the producers for this show? Have they all been fired?
    In her pocket... I used to think her lavish gifts upon them were great. But it seems to have evolved into no one telling the Empress her show topic 'clothes' are ragged.
    (I'm not saying invisible... cos she does still have fans).

Holy cow... please tell me that she is not going to spend an entire hour talking about her hair.
    I hope not.

And if Oprah ever lands on Planet Earth again I will be a fan again I'm sure.

Ricky Martin? Yeah he's real popular~~~~~~if this was 1997.

Horrible show today. Maybe it's just me, but everytime I see Nate Berkus on there, I turn the channel. He is so boring. Yeah he's cute, but he's gay, so what good does it do for the all-woman audience to scream over him for an hour?~NONE!
    Enough with him already.

I agree about the shows 'O' does with 3, 4, 5 different topics now. It's a little too much like "Entertainment Tonight" or "The Insider" now. Totally sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm
    Horrible show today. Maybe it's just me, but everytime I see Nate Berkus on there, I turn the channel. He is so boring. Yeah he's cute, but he's gay, so what good does it do for the all-woman audience to scream over him for an hour?~NONE!
    Enough with him already.
    I love Nate Berkus... he's one of the few shows that I try to catch.. when I know he's going to be on. Love him... love his style.. and I couldn't care less that he's gay, I'd scream for him the entire hour, too.

And, why is it that an audience full of women screaming at/for a straight woman is better than an audience full of women screaming at/for a gay man? What's the difference? They're expressing their appreciation for the person.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    I love Nate Berkus... he's one of the few shows that I try to catch.. when I know he's going to be on. Love him... love his style.. and I couldn't care less that he's gay, I'd scream for him the entire hour, too.

And, why is it that an audience full of women screaming at/for a straight woman is better than an audience full of women screaming at/for a gay man? What's the difference? They're expressing their appreciation for the person.
    I agree with you Broadway...I Nate...not just because he's gorgeous but because of the person he seems to be....the episode where he appeared after the tsunami and talked about his partner being swept away....the utter despair on his face and in his eyes broke my heart and made me sob.......I believe Nate is beautiful both inside and out!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Fogey
    I like Nate too but was stunned to see that his products were not at all appealing. His name is on them but I wonder just how much he had to do with the design. Soft lavender bedding? Yeah, so what. It looked common as did all the other stuff. Oprah raving about all of it was uncomfortable to watch. It just did not seem genuine.

I do agree that Oprah is damned no matter what she does in some eyes. I like her for the most part. I Tivo her show and watched probably 50% of them until this season; I have watched parts of only a few recently. Interviewing stars does not interest me nor does her celebrating hero's and do gooders. I skip her soapbox efforts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat
    Interviewing stars does not interest me nor does her celebrating hero's and do gooders. I skip her soapbox efforts as well.
    what's left?

I just had to laugh at that because I, too, was thinking the celebrity interviews were getting a little boring, as well as her "heroics" and current "concerns". BUT, I still record the show and usually do watch it and have to wonder why??? I guess my answer to myself is "Because I CAN"

+ Reply to Thread