+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 168 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

FORT Fanatic
    [QUOTE=realityluver]Yea, but Ellen doesn't catch the hell that Oprah does. QUOTE]

Your point? You make no sense. About 3 million people watch Ellen, Oprah has around 7/8 million viewers. Even if Ellen had a 8 million viewers she wouldn't get the flack, because she handle the situation in a tasteful matter.

I'm gay, and people picked on Ellen a lot. She turned her sitcom in the mid 90's and made it a total trainwreck, because she wanted the show to be about her "life" and about being gay. It was a turn off. She got a lot of flack, and her show was cancelled. Ellen doesn't make her daytime show about being "gay" because people know she is and don't want to hear about it.
    Last edited by jman79; 10-07-2005 at 11:31 AM.

I found the Crash episode on Oprah very informative. A lot of people seem to think that Terrence Howard has “issues” and that he may have overreacted, but there is more to the story. Terrence’s Caucasian wife was not with Terrence and their Caucasian looking children. The entire plane ride, he was getting quite the look and it brought back unpleasant memories of the looks his Caucasian looking father used to get when he went out with his African-American looking family. I don’t think there is any doubt that his past may have made him very sensitive to racial overtones, but I think it's the same to a lesser or greater extent for all of us. Sometimes, without even realizing, an unpleasant experience with someone of a different race can have an affect on our interactions with other members of that race.

Bopping to my own beat! realityluver's Avatar
    [QUOTE=jman79]
    Quote Originally Posted by realityluver
    Yea, but Ellen doesn't catch the hell that Oprah does. QUOTE]

Your point? You make no sense. About 3 million people watch Ellen, Oprah has around 7/8 million viewers. Even if Ellen had a 8 million viewers she wouldn't get the flack, because she handle the situation in a tasteful matter.

I'm gay, and people picked on Ellen a lot. She turned her sitcom in the mid 90's and made it a total trainwreck, because she wanted the show to be about her "life" and about being gay. It was a turn off. She got a lot of flack, and her show was cancelled. Ellen doesn't make her daytime show about being "gay" because people know she is and don't want to hear about it.
    Please don't ever tell me I make no sense. I was not rude to you or your post so I appreciate the same in return. You see things different from the way I do, and that's fine by me. Just as you are free to make your points and say what you don't like about Oprah, I should be free to make my own. I don't care how many people watch Ellen verses Oprah. That does not in any way negate what I said about the hell that Oprah and her show receive.
    Phenomenal woman... that's me!!!

-I haven't watched Oprah very much at all this year. Uma Thurman? Usher? Sandra Bullock? Faith Hill? I COULDN'T CARE LESS ABOUT THESE PEOPLE!

-Someone mentioned Oprah's 'best friend' Gayle. OMG I get SO SICK of hearing about GAYLE and Gayle's KIDS and Gayle's DIVORCE, BLAH BLAH BLAH. Gayle isn't stupid, she knows what she's doing... Imagine how much Gayle benefits from being Oprah's 'best friend' Gayle is the head of "O Magazine", GEE, wonder how she got that great job?! LOL!!!!! She should be ashamed of herself if you ask me...JMO.

-Speaking of Ellen, I was thinking about this earlier...Everyone loves Ellen and her show, and all is great, yadda yadda~ I watch her all the time, her show is repeated on Oxygen every night, too. But I noticed that the fact that Ellen is Gay is NEVER EVER MENTIONED on the show. She knows that if that subject kept comming up, people would just turn it off, they just don't want to hear about it. She was interviewing Jennifer Garner the other day, and she was eating some food they had laid out for Jennifer, and audience was laughing and Ellen goes, "Well I might be pregnant one day, too!" And everyone laughed their butts off. Kind of an odd moment, I thought.
    Last edited by FireStorm; 10-07-2005 at 07:57 PM.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    I figure she doesn't mention it because it has nothing to do with what the show is about.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

The faith Hill show on Oprah was good, as was the one with Carole Radziwill.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

realityluver: I'm from Illinois originally, and I remember when Oprah first came to Chicago from what seemed like out of nowhere at the time. At that time it was questioned in the press 'why is Chicago making such a big deal out of this woman' etc. People said the show would fail.

Then, and also later when she caught flack for talking about her life on the show (such as being raped as a child) I stuck up for her in conversations if I heard something like that. Cos I felt she was being honest. And the focus was on the guest, with Oprah mentioning things from her life to show empathy for her guests.

Then all of a sudden it seemed like she got herself straight and had no patience for any suffering on her show any more. Like she'd just roll her eyes. Then she announced she was gonna quit cos she felt her show had run its gamut. Then she decided she'd stay but her shows were not going to be about 'problems' any more. That only seemed to reinforce what I had felt intuitively about her having changed her attitude towards others.

All these people saying they think it's gotten too much about the host and not about the guests, they're saying it for a reason. Very few people could withstand this amount of attention and lionisation and not succumb to some egotism. Either that or they crash & burn and self reflect a while. Just seems to me like Oprah's ego gets bigger & bigger with little self reflection. On her show she began acting sort of infantile in some of the segments. In other words she's become a caricature of herself.

We liked Oprah when she seemed like one of us. Now it's like she is on some other planet where the air's a little too thin. I don't watch Ellen's show either, so I can't comment on her show. But believing one's own fans and press is a danger to any celebrity. Oprah's fallen under its spell in my personal opinion. And to me that is not interesting to watch. Rosie on her blog just said that she (Rosie) was always more interested in the audience than the guests... I think it is vital for a talk show host to stay in touch with the audience. Oprah is not. I think it all got old and jaded for her a long time ago. A lot of things have come and gone about the show but the long long applause for Oprah is a mainstay. I find it creepy.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy
    realityluver: I'm from Illinois originally, and I remember when Oprah first came to Chicago from what seemed like out of nowhere at the time. At that time it was questioned in the press 'why is Chicago making such a big deal out of this woman' etc. People said the show would fail.

Then, and also later when she caught flack for talking about her life on the show (such as being raped as a child) I stuck up for her in conversations if I heard something like that. Cos I felt she was being honest. And the focus was on the guest, with Oprah mentioning things from her life to show empathy for her guests.

Then all of a sudden it seemed like she got herself straight and had no patience for any suffering on her show any more. Like she'd just roll her eyes. Then she announced she was gonna quit cos she felt her show had run its gamut. Then she decided she'd stay but her shows were not going to be about 'problems' any more. That only seemed to reinforce what I had felt intuitively about her having changed her attitude towards others.

All these people saying they think it's gotten too much about the host and not about the guests, they're saying it for a reason. Very few people could withstand this amount of attention and lionisation and not succumb to some egotism. Either that or they crash & burn and self reflect a while. Just seems to me like Oprah's ego gets bigger & bigger with little self reflection. On her show she began acting sort of infantile in some of the segments. In other words she's become a caricature of herself.

We liked Oprah when she seemed like one of us. Now it's like she is on some other planet where the air's a little too thin. I don't watch Ellen's show either, so I can't comment on her show. But believing one's own fans and press is a danger to any celebrity. Oprah's fallen under its spell in my personal opinion. And to me that is not interesting to watch. Rosie on her blog just said that she (Rosie) was always more interested in the audience than the guests... I think it is vital for a talk show host to stay in touch with the audience. Oprah is not. I think it all got old and jaded for her a long time ago. A lot of things have come and gone about the show but the long long applause for Oprah is a mainstay. I find it creepy.

Excellent post. But I must give Oprah some praise. They caught one of the pedophiles that she just showed. But what does bother me, is she has mentioned several times she gave 10 million dollars. Mention it once, people remember. I'm not saying Oprah is all bad, but she is no longer humble, or grounded at all. Truly, Everything is about Oprah. I thought one interesting thing that Oprah use to do, and quit doing was go in the audience and let people ask question. I know she does that on Oxygen, but that it mnade the show interesting. This season is kinda boring. Oprah once said she is every woman, in some ways yes. Up until around 1993, she kinda was. She stuggled with weight, people pleasing, and over emotional. The Oprah we see today is not.

giz
    I haven't watched Oprah in ages, and I turned it on today for a second and it was Uma Thurman interviewing Meryl Streep. About whether or not she likes being a legend. Gag. And whether or not she's proud of her work. Ack. This was majorly yawn inducing. Is this what the show's like nowadays? Isn't there a happy medium between Jerry Springer and Merv Griffin? I thought that was what Oprah was meant to be. If it's just celeb stuff all the time, I don't think I'll be checking in too often. (Unless she wants to run a viewer meets Alan Rickman day).

FORT Fogey
    I saw a promotional clip on TV over the weekend and I shuddered when I saw how much weight this broad's gained back again. Why can't she stay at a stable weight? She makes such a big deal out of her weight losses, her physical fitness goals, etc., etc. and she keeps shoving all that down our throats.

Yeah, most of us would be at a lot healthier weight if we had just a fraction of the resources that Oprah has at her disposal.

With all that, I would expect her to maintain some balance but instead she's a bloody mess -- she's an emotional wreck, and it shows up, big-time, every time her weight balloons and plummets.

Hey Oprah: SHUT UP!!!
    Last edited by Pomeraniac; 10-10-2005 at 01:17 PM.

+ Reply to Thread