+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 168 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

But before pointing fingers these people (who had the means to help when it was needed the most, not afterwards) should ask themselves if THEY did the right thing even if TV cameras were not around.
    Exactly, justafan. Exactly. Oprah had the money and the connections. WE sure did not. Most of "America" sure did not. Which is why it was paining us all to watch this - we were helpless. I wanted someone, anyone, to get in there with some HELP.

Amy Lee: Because Oprah, like Madonna, does not LIVE off camera (to badly paraphrase Warren Beatty in that Madonna documentary). She brought tons of cameras with her when she did bring things to shelters. Why would she not have before, when she'd have been lauded around the world as a hero(ine)?

The whole world was watching people starve and dehydrate to death in the Superdome. It was a living nightmare. Had Oprah gone in there with supplies, no WAY she would've missed the chance to get camera time for it. Also there were already other cameras there, so we'd have known about it.

If she didn't announce that she did this or that, she would have been accused of doing nothing at all. Famous people can't win in situations like that.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by LaDeeDa
    If she didn't announce that she did this or that, she would have been accused of doing nothing at all. Famous people can't win in situations like that.

Not true. Ellen Degeneres is from New Orleans, and she did what could it a very tasteful manner.

Quote Originally Posted by jman79
    Not true. Ellen Degeneres is from New Orleans, and she did what could it a very tasteful manner.
    Instead of having big celebrities come on, Ellen had an old friend, who lived through Katrina, come on and talk about her experiences. It was much more impactful

I don't get to watch her show too often, but from what I've seen, Ellen does have celebrities and people from various companies coming on and pledging money to help. For instance, when Jennifer Garner was on last week, Jen got together with Target and donated tons of gift cards and products for babies/pregnant mothers. I know that she has a fund (I think it's going to the Red Cross) where viewers can donate as well.

It can be done without a brass band and a huge camera crew... and it can be about the victims and not the talk show host. Oprah's just all about Oprah. I'm glad she donated the money, but she always finds a way to do those things and make herself look like the story.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey
    Oprah has always done a lot and donated alot of money for plenty of other causes. Don't you think that by using the highly influential vehicle she has (her show) it helps shed light and draw attention to these issues?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by DetGuy
    Oprah has always done a lot and donated alot of money for plenty of other causes. Don't you think that by using the highly influential vehicle she has (her show) it helps shed light and draw attention to these issues?
    That is exactly how it was BEFORE. That's exactly why so many people respected her so much.

NOW it is all about Oprah. Even the noble cause gets focused on her persona.

As I said before she has changed, and her show has changed. The viewers see the changes and react differently.

Normal thing in the entertainment industry I guess. The sad thing she is losing the credebility many people admired her for.

I'm still trying to understand why am I so upset about it? May be I just lost another idol?

from what I've seen, Ellen does have celebrities and people from various companies coming on and pledging money to help.
    I believe that Ellen also organised groups of volunteers. I was talking online to someone who took a family of Katrina survivors into their home for a while til the family got jobs and housing elsewhere, etc. She said that Ellen left a tape recorded message on the answering machines of all the 'volunteers like her'. I took that to mean that Ellen organised that effort somehow. If so, she did not toot her own horn nationally about it.

Nothing wrong either with 'drawing attention to issues'. It just doesn't seem that way on the Oprah bandwagon - any time I've channel changed past her show and caught a couple minutes, she seems very off puttingly frozen at a very immature age... She does not seem like she has grown and matured, rather as if she believes her own fandom. Then she's gonna point fingers at other people for not helping during the storm? Well what in the world could most of US have done?

Oprah is wayyy off terra firma and has been for a while now. To quote Kathy Griffin (who does watch the show) "Our little Oprah show has gone a-cuckoo!".

You know it takes different kinds of bait to catch different fish and both Ellen and Oprah do great things for people in different ways. I think even Oprah would say she is a bit of a "diva" or wants it the way she wants it. No one can argue she does great things for so many people. Even the give aways, while technically not her money actually buying the cars and things it is she who is the catalyst to the give away.

My personaly problem this year has just been that I haven't enjoyed the shows as much as in the past.

FORT Fanatic
    I agree with a lot of what justafan has posted. And I too am very upset with Oprah, much for the same reason she is. The reason being was I use to be such a big fan of her show. She use to come across as so down to earth, and humble. She was sort of like the neighbor, that everyone wishes to have.

Ellen Degeneres had her Aunt on her show, and I believe she lost everything in the storm. Ellen is originally from New Orleans. During the last couple weeks, Ellen even put some well thought out humor about the situation. She had HUGE fake despost slips, and a HUGE fake ATM machine. Whenever someone on her show gives they put it in the deposit. They are over $7 million dollars(not too shabby)

Yes, I do believe Oprah's coverage helped people donate, but don't forget other celebrities made us aware of the situation, not just Oprah. Other celebrities also gave, maybe not as much as Oprah, but they gave. They also don't make Public announcements about it. I was listening to the Howard Stern show recently, and Robin Quivers mentioned that she gave almost as much as Oprah did. She bought some houses and gave a large donation. She only mentioned it, because she said she wanted to give herself the same recognition that Oprah gave herself(she was kidding) You also have to remember that there are regular Americans who are millionaires, and I'm sure they gave anonmously(sp) Trust me, an average Joe could get his name in the press if they gave a few million

Oprah's behavior during the Katrina was inappropriate. NBC news anchor Brian Williams said during this whole ordeal, that emotion is often looked down upon when covering tragic events, but he said in this case, emotion was appropriate. What Oprah did was "play up the cameras" she was stomping around saying "THIS ISN'T FAIR" do you honestly think she would of done this without the camera rolling?? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Oprah was emotional, but just like people tell you don't believe everything you read, same applies to tv. These people lost everything. EVERYTHING. If I was in the crowd and I saw Oprah do that, and I just lost my house. I would have a few choice words for her.

I have stopped watching her show in last few days, but I did catch a "tease" for an upcoming show. It's going to be on the movie "crash" I really hope that she does not bring the Hermes ordeal into play. Because Oprah said herself that the store was closing.

Oprah has really "jumped the shark"
    Last edited by jman79; 10-03-2005 at 08:48 PM.

It's going to be on the movie "crash" I really hope that she does not bring the Hermes ordeal into play. Because Oprah said herself that the store was closing.

Oprah has really "jumped the shark"
    Great post jman.

That is what I don't understand. The store was closing.

How many of us have stood at the doorway as the store was closing and been told sorry it's too late. Whether there were people still inside finishing up their own shopping or not. They have to close sometime! It isn't personal.

For her to hold that over their heads and cry racism when that could very well damage their business unfairly... Was just rotten. It was like "kiss my butt on national tv, or I will ruin you." Oh brother!

Next time a shop won't let me in at two minutes til 5 pm when they close at 5, I'm gonna say it was just because I am me. And I'm gonna get on airwaves and keep saying it, until they apologise. Or wait... no... I can't. I'm not a grandiose tv celebrity :roll:
    Last edited by Brandy; 10-04-2005 at 08:30 PM.

+ Reply to Thread