+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oprah

FORT Fogey

Re: Oprah

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3751921;
    I still want to know what was meant by "unconventional marriage"..
    I'm thinking it means that there are "primary partners" and "secondary partners" in that marriage.

I don't know why--but she really reminds me of a friend I had once who was in a marriage like that.

And as soon as she mentioned the months Todd had to be away for his job that possibility was cemented for me.

IMO and my impression only.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3751614;
    Wind, you're cracking me up.

I'm trying, also. And, I'm trying to be as impartial as possible.
    With the comments about the daughter's pregnancy, I thought she was delusional. It's not as if she has never before participated in a campaign. And, actually, she really went for the jugular with some of her prior opponents in Alaska. They showed that on TV and on the Internet at the time. So, if she didn't know what she ws getting into, then she sure fooled a lot of us who do not see her as Mother Theresa incarnate.
    I do like that she did not blame McCain at all. I also thought she handled the Levi questions well and tried her best to fan the flames rather than incite them further. I do give her credit for that.
    Oprah also asked about the Couric interview. I've seen that interview replayed numerous times now and I feel like it's committed to my memory.
    What still gets to me is that Palin was extremely defensive in her answers to Couric. And, she got defensive even before the questions were asked. I was very surprised, in fact, at the time when she labeled Couric as the biased liberal media, as I had always thought Katie was a Rep. I had never thought of Couric as an extreme liberal.
    They also showed footage of Sarah's home life in Alaska - showed her going to work out, dressing Trig, making candy apples with the whole family for Halloween, taking Bristol out to trick or treat, showing she and Todd in the kitchen. The family values video footage at its best.
    Oprah aked why she quit the governorship. She again reiterated that she thought she was hampered in office and could better serve constituents by being a regular citizen. She mentioned, also that there were so many opposition people who were now working there - she attributes this to Obama's camp - and that that, along with the Ethics violations investigations - made her feel like she could no longer be effective in her role as Gov. but could be by doing things as a private citizen. She didn't elaborate on what she's done, thus far, as a private citizen, though.
    Oprah asked her if she, Oprah, should worry about Sarah being a competitor if / when she gets her own talk show. Sarah never answered that but, instead, gave kudos to Oprah for being the pioneer at that, helping all women, etc. Obvious, to me at least, to see how Ms. Palin has been able to rise to where she's at. People love flattery; even Oprah Winfrey. Not aying Oprah didn't recognize it. Just saying that it was obvious Oprah enjoyed it, nevertheless.
    Like I said, I did try to watch it with a very impartial eye.
    Every so often, however, I'd remember back to Ms. Palin's rally last October. For someone who now claims that she had to do everything the campaign told her to and she didn't like it, I do still remember a vision onstage who revelled in telling the audience that Obama was a terrorist and the only true Americans were those sitting in the audience. But, I guess that vision on the stage was just Ms. Palin as victim - that seems to be a role that she wears quite proudly and comfortably.

Will the book sell a lot? You betcha!
    In light of our Governor's summer trip to Argentina and the ethics investigations he's facing, I wish he'd take the same route Palin took. ON the other hand, he's facing a lot of issues as Gov and still thinks he can do a good job and hasn't quit like she did.
    Not crazy about him either way.
    But she still quit her job when the going got tough. Not presidential material at all.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3751603;
    On personal note--she says that she and Todd have always had "an unconventional marriage."

______________________________ _______

Wrap up--I have to give huge props to Oprah for he way she handled this. She did it absolutely straight--as though interviewing someone that no one knew anything about. She did not inject any emotion into any of it. Or any of her personal politics. Not only was this smart but it made for a very informative experience of Palin.

We can see for ourselves Palin's poor-me, blame-game mentality--everyone is against her and things would be great if only the left would leave her alone. And if the McCain people hadn't messed her up so much.

My hat is off to Oprah for her excellent work on letting the real Plain come through without giving Palin a chance to blame Oprah for picking on her--because Oprah did anything but.
    I love Oprah, but I wish she had been tougher on Palin. I was cringing through the whole show thinking that, even to me, (who dislikes and disagrees with everything Palin stands for), Palin comes off as a charming, misunderstood, sweet woman, who might have some successes in future national politics. It's bad enough when we have people in politics we disagree with, who KNOW what they're doing. . .

Palin's comments about being more effective as a private citizen made a lot of sense to me. During that part of the interview, I was reminded of how (I think) Oprah is in a position of great influence without holding political office. I don't think that Palin compares to Oprah in the scope of her influence or abilities, but there is certainly more freedom (for lack of a better word) to spotlight issues and energize followers within that arena.

ETA - I, too, thought it was a rather "nice" interview.
    Last edited by coltnlasma; 11-17-2009 at 10:17 AM.
    remember to play

FORT Fogey

IMO quitting only halfway through the only important political position one has ever had doesn't really make for a good curriculum vitae when running for national office.

Oprah is right on in claiming that Palin has still not explained exactly why she quit on the voters of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3752049;
    IMO quitting only halfway through the only important political position one has ever had doesn't really make for a good curriculum vitae when running for national office.

Oprah is right on in claiming that Palin has still not explained exactly why she quit on the voters of Alaska.
    It cracks me up how we can have a difference of opinion concerning tv shows we watch, but when it comes to politics....we share a brain.

I agree. In my opinion, once she 'quit', that destroyed any hope for her in the political arena in the future. I also don't understand what she means when she says that by quitting she could do more. I understand that having a voice and a talk show may sway some opinions, but she isn't going to be passing any laws or signing any bills or actually making a difference. At least as Governor, she could fight for what she believed in. The woman just confuses me.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3752057;
    I

I agree. In my opinion, once she 'quit', that destroyed any hope for her in the political arena in the future. I also don't understand what she means when she says that by quitting she could do more. I understand that having a voice and a talk show may sway some opinions, but she isn't going to be passing any laws or signing any bills or actually making a difference. At least as Governor, she could fight for what she believed in. The woman just confuses me.
    I so agree. Most politicians that do more as private citizens have proven themselves as politicians first. They held an office for their term or terms and then went on to influence politics outside of office. They have more credibility that way because they have experience and/or legislation to fall back on to be taken seriously.

I can't take this woman seriously at all. Except that others do take her seriously and that can be potentially dangerous.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I DVR'd it but haven't watched it yet. Did Oprah bring up some of the main points of Palin's stump speech -- the strong suggestion that President Obama was a terrorist and that the only real Americans were those that were supporting her? Or that McCain's staffers call Palin's book pure fiction?
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

FORT Fanatic

Wind Dancer and Norealityhere - thanks for the reviews. I knew I wouldn't be able to watch it.

Oy vey... sooo very glad I decided NOT to set the TIVO...

+ Reply to Thread