+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oprah

Re: Oprah

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3749149;
    Oh c'mon. It was a very intense interview and needed a little bit of lighting up. Charla even replied light heartedly with a bit of a chuckle "yes, that's one way." I thought Oprah did a great job with it and was very sensitive to her and very sweet, wiping her face and holding her hand....walking with her through the halls of the hospital. It wasn't a big deal....and I highly doubt Charla took it that way, so I won't.
    I agree I watched the interview. I work with people in the hospital a lot who have scars or disfigurements all the time. Not that bad but any of it can really weigh on people who have to wear them all the time. And people who have to deal with the drudgery of feeding tubes etc. Moving on and not acknowledging it as a reality or even attempting to laugh I think is much more offensive. You know the woman knew how uncomfortable she was making Oprah once she removed the veil. Someone had to take that moment and lighten it up so it wasn't like the giant elephant in the room.

Besides what would anyone honestly say to her? This woman has to wake up every single morning as she is in a hospital. She is likely surrounded by people who feel much pity for her, who shy away from her. She on the inside the same person she was before this happened and I'm quite sure the person she was before had the ability to laugh. Her life probably wasn't one day of calamity after another. Honest to god what was Oprah supposed to do. Go, "I'm so sorry the chimp ate your face?"

I thought it was a pretty interesting interview and pretty tactfully done.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3749149;
    Oh c'mon. It was a very intense interview and needed a little bit of lighting up. Charla even replied light heartedly with a bit of a chuckle "yes, that's one way." I thought Oprah did a great job with it and was very sensitive to her and very sweet, wiping her face and holding her hand....walking with her through the halls of the hospital. It wasn't a big deal....and I highly doubt Charla took it that way, so I won't.
    Hip, Hip, Hooray for the voice of reason!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Don't miss Oprah on Monday--it's the Palin interview and from the few preview scenes that have been shown on the entertainment news shows it looks like Oprah really pins Palin to the wall.

Good times to be had by all!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Looking forward to that one!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Win Together, Die Alone JustJuls's Avatar

Ohhh yeah! I won't be missing it!
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

FORT Fogey

BTW--as a writer I couldn't help but laugh/cry over hearing this--"Palin worked really hard on her book (the one she's promoting by going on Oprah etc). She spent several weeks in San Diego writing her book."

Which means--translated--it was written by a ghostwriter. I wonder if the writer is credited or if Palin just has to keep that a non-secret secret?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3750333;
    BTW--as a writer I couldn't help but laugh/cry over hearing this--"Palin worked really hard on her book (the one she's promoting by going on Oprah etc). She spent several weeks in San Diego writing her book."

Which means--translated--it was written by a ghostwriter. I wonder if the writer is credited or if Palin just has to keep that a non-secret secret?
    IIRC, did you not recently post that you get your news from "The Christian Science Monitor"? They had an article a few months back about "the other voice" behind Palins book, Lynn Vincent.
    Many other news agencies have also been rather vocal about who Lynn Vincent is.

I doubt that Sarah Palin will give the life history of her co-author/ghostwriter during her book tour since most (political) authors are rather mum on who these people are.
    I have read that most ghostwriters sign very strict confidentiality agreements when they write for/with former, currant and future politicians.
    Bill Ayers has just recently confirmed that he wrote Dreams From My Father for Pres. Obama. So what if these people have writers. They are usually very busy people with more then one iron in the fire at a time. AND it makes for another taxpayer!!!
    Last edited by PugMum; 11-14-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3750299;
    Don't miss Oprah on Monday--it's the Palin interview and from the few preview scenes that have been shown on the entertainment news shows it looks like Oprah really pins Palin to the wall.
    Good times to be had by all!

Ouch?? So I'm wondering if Sarah took the opportunity to ask "the Oprah" what it feels like to buy a presidency......

Will forego my "Oprah" boycott to watch on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3750458;
    Bill Ayers has just recently confirmed that he wrote Dreams From My Father for Pres. Obama.
    You've got your facts wrong on this one. Bill Ayers never confirmed that he wrote the book. And from what I read in the article, Andersen doesn't have any real proof, just some unnamed sources, and the fact that he thinks that the writing style in Dreams From My Father "bears a "jarring similarity to Ayers' own writing." Hardly something that would hold up in a court of law.

...author Christopher Andersen says in a newly released book that former domestic terrorist William Ayers helped Barack Obama write the president's highly acclaimed memoir "Dreams
    from My Father."
    Link
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Ayers recently joked that he wrote it and wanted his portion of the royalties and wingtards -- who wouldn't know how to check a fact if their imbecilic lives depended upon it -- believe it. The joke is on them, yet again.

As far as Palin goes, it's quite obvious that that idiot has likely never read a book -- so there's no way she could write one.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

+ Reply to Thread