+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oprah

Re: Oprah

Considering how many people give absolutely nothing even if she's giving "only" that amount it's still a lot more than a lot of people. Every little bit helps.

FORT Fanatic

just to put this in perspective, per Forbes' richest list, oprah's wet worth is $2.3 Billion. giving away $2.4 million is 0.1043%, which is equivalent to $104 for someone who makes $100,000.

Well then maybe she shouldn't give any at all? How many people give large percentages of their income to the needy? Honestly. How many,.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1;3743179;
    I don't have any specific information about how much she "donates" to charities, but you have to add to that number all of the money she spends on charitable type causes -- of which I'm sure there are many, many. I can't even imagine how much building and continuing to finance that school in Africa must cost her every year, not to mention all of the other projects we hear about Oprah contributing to. Whether you like her or not, I think she is a wonderful woman and has made a tremendously positive impact on the world. (And yes, there are numerous other generous and wonderful people, but that doesn't take away anything from Oprah, or anyone else!)
    and of course that doesn't even count the charity work that she does directly or lends her name to.

At least she donates, there are plenty of super rich folks who donate nothing.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Anyone watch Oprah yesterday? Ellen was on!! Ellen on Oprah! How perfect is that?!? In my area they come on at the same time and I'm with Ellen, that should be illegal!! Although I record both...and watch both...THAT night! I love them! The show was a lot of clips from Ellen's show so I had already seen them, but still funny. Oprah also had Portia on and I've never seen Ellen & Portia do an interview together, so that was great. They are such a sweet couple. You can just see how much they love each other. Great show!
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

Yeah, Ellen was great on Oprah. Yesterday's show was very sad, showing the woman who had her face demolished by a chimp, and her hands chewed off. I don't watch Oprah that often, but I have to say I was shocked by Oprah's reply when she asked the woman if she could eat, and the woman replied, only through a straw. The doctors have fashioned an opening but she has no lips, and I couldn't tell where the liquids would enter. Oprah replied, "Well, that's one way to keep your weight down." REALLY Oprah? I don't think having your face and hands ripped off by a chimp is a new weight loss program. I found that incredibly insensitive. She made another weight related comment as well. I don't think the woman is worried about maintaining her svelte figure at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3748958;
    Yeah, Ellen was great on Oprah. Yesterday's show was very sad, showing the woman who had her face demolished by a chimp, and her hands chewed off. I don't watch Oprah that often, but I have to say I was shocked by Oprah's reply when she asked the woman if she could eat, and the woman replied, only through a straw. The doctors have fashioned an opening but she has no lips, and I couldn't tell where the liquids would enter. Oprah replied, "Well, that's one way to keep your weight down." REALLY Oprah? I don't think having your face and hands ripped off by a chimp is a new weight loss program. I found that incredibly insensitive. She made another weight related comment as well. I don't think the woman is worried about maintaining her svelte figure at this point.
    Good God. Just another thing to put on my list about Oprah being insensitive.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

that there is why I stopped watching Oprah a very long time ago - her perception of reality is completely distorted.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;3749056;
    that there is why I stopped watching Oprah a very long time ago - her perception of reality is completely distorted.
    I like Oprah and would love to meet her; however, I think all that money and success have, as you say, distorted her perceptions somewhat, and often her ego seems entirely out of bounds. At least she seems to be doing good things in this world, so the positives outweigh the negatives. On an admitted trivial note, I don't know who dresses her for the show, but he/she needs to be replaced with someone who knows how to dress a woman her size in such a way NOT to emphasize her girth. The outfit she has on today makes her look as wide as a bus. It's not the first time by any means. Not criticizing heavy people ... just saying she can afford a stylist and wardrobe that don't accentuate her weight.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3748958;
    Oh c'mon. It was a very intense interview and needed a little bit of lighting up. Charla even replied light heartedly with a bit of a chuckle "yes, that's one way." I thought Oprah did a great job with it and was very sensitive to her and very sweet, wiping her face and holding her hand....walking with her through the halls of the hospital. It wasn't a big deal....and I highly doubt Charla took it that way, so I won't.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

+ Reply to Thread