+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oprah

Re: Oprah

I enjoyed today with Jay Z and Barbara Streisand.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

*bump*

Anyone else watch today? I thought the entire show was good, but the first segment, with the young man who had a change of heart as he attempted an armed robbery, moved me to tears. I haven't watched Oprah in a while, but was glad to catch this episode. Heartwrenching... yet uplifting.
    remember to play

FORT Fogey

I thought today's show with the young man and the woman he had started to rob was very touching, too .... however, he should have had a lawyer because he admitted to committing another robbery the week before, and it wasn't clear whether the authorities knew about that. Anyway, I was concerned that he was saying to so much without legal representation. He could wind up being in jail for a very long time. Armed robbery is armed robbery, whether the admitted perpetrator is really a nice repentant guy or not. Maybe I expect too much, but it would have been nice for Oprah to make sure he was lawyered up before she asked him about the other robbery. He was just out there by himself on a limb.

FORT Fogey

Show with Vegan chef: I tivo her program and watch probably 15% of them. Anything about food, decorating, fashion and other fun stuff is what I look for. Consequently I watch her talk with her mouth full of food waaaaaaaay too often. I am stunned no one close to her has talked to her about this. Gail?! Please! It appears she even exagerates this process and finds ways to talk more! Okay, I am done. OH, no wait. She must have said bootay 40 times with Cookie Johnson and her jeans. It wasn't clever or funny the first time, Oprah. . Now I am really done.

I am looking forward to today's show with the woman from Long Island who took out some of her kids and herself while allegedly driving drunk. Her husband is apparently in deep denial ans the show should be interesting!
    Help control the animal population - spay and neuter your pets!

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

First time I've watched OPRAH in ages and I tuned in because both Adam Lambert (the "which reality star would you most like to see" contest winner) and Christian Siriano were guests. We got a beautiful fashion show from Christian and a few words from Adam on Skype out of LA. Another segment turned out to be a tribute to the greatness of Oprah in cake design. Only one of three came up with a design that was NOT all Oprah all the time, and it was quite clever, but not the winner with the Oprah audience, duh.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3739609;
    First time I've watched OPRAH in ages and I tuned in because both Adam Lambert (the "which reality star would you most like to see" contest winner) and Christian Siriano were guests. We got a beautiful fashion show from Christian and a few words from Adam on Skype out of LA. Another segment turned out to be a tribute to the greatness of Oprah in cake design. Only one of three came up with a design that was NOT all Oprah all the time, and it was quite clever, but not the winner with the Oprah audience, duh.
    Yeah, the cake segment was just fair, but I LOVED seeing Adam Lambert -- even if it was just for a few moments on Skype (wish we could have seen more of him)!! But Oprah sort of asked him to be a guest on the show after his November album debut date, so I will be excited to see that!!!!

Although Christian Siriano is definitely a weird bird, he is terrifically interesting, and I enjoyed seeing him too. I was never too crazy about his designs or fashion sense (but who cares, the fashion world seems to be, and that's probably way more important). But, I DID love the print gowns in his mini fashion show, particularly the brick-red one. Wow!!! That was beyond stunning!

Enjoyed seeing Randy too -- he seems like the nicest guy, and it appears as if he has great credentials in the music world. I was a huge fan of one of the dance groups he had on his dance show last year, QUEST CREW. This past season was so mediocre, it didn't even hold my attention past the 3rd or 4th episode.

FORT Fanatic

I read in Parade mag on Sunday that Oprah "only" gives $2.4 million a year to charities? Is this right? I thought she gave hundreds of millions? I was under the impression she was incredibly generous with her billion or so dollars. Does anyone have any insight re this? thanks.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by babyfat101;3742147;
    I read in Parade mag on Sunday that Oprah "only" gives $2.4 million a year to charities? Is this right? I thought she gave hundreds of millions? I was under the impression she was incredibly generous with her billion or so dollars. Does anyone have any insight re this? thanks.
    I don't have any specific information about how much she "donates" to charities, but you have to add to that number all of the money she spends on charitable type causes -- of which I'm sure there are many, many. I can't even imagine how much building and continuing to finance that school in Africa must cost her every year, not to mention all of the other projects we hear about Oprah contributing to. Whether you like her or not, I think she is a wonderful woman and has made a tremendously positive impact on the world. (And yes, there are numerous other generous and wonderful people, but that doesn't take away anything from Oprah, or anyone else!)

FORT Fanatic

thanks IMPERFECT. btw...didn't mean to convey the tone that i don't like oprah...i do, which is why i was so surprised at the amount.

+ Reply to Thread