+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 168 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

I agree Justafan,

I have always loved her show and while all the OTHER shows were failing miserably to do a good report on Katrina I expected more of Oprah considering her past style. So it was surprising to so many that she of all reporters did not pin down Mayor Nagin. I thought she would be the one to blaze a trail through the bull.

I have religiously watched her show for years and years and this season sort of sucks in my opinion and this forum is a place to discuss that opinion. Obviously is not a singular opinion.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddybear
    It's really easy to talk about how level headded you'd be if you were rich and famous when you're niether.

Your right. im not rich, but there are plenty of rich people who don't act like Oprah. I think you have issues with me, because you don't agree with me. Btw... Im a local tv news anchor. not famous, but recoginized.

FORT Fanatic
    I just have to add a second reply. Oprah is not grounded in the least. She has a huge ego, and its not in control. I watch and then complain, just like people who watch "the view" Oprah is no different then Jerry Springer. Its just how the show is formated, obviously you are manipulated by her concept. Last season, she did a show on teenage hookers in the burbs. Really, it is Jerry Springer, but Oprah pretends to play shrink for 1 hour. Do you really think Oprah cares about her guests when they leave?? And Oprah started trash tv. Phil Donahue was clean, and Oprah got trashy. Then tv talk shows turned for the worst and I mean for the worst. The Jenny Jones murder, but even before that Ricki Lake, and Oprah does a new format and does a talk show in the mid 90's about how there are to many talk shows. Oprah is a manipulative person. And your a moron.

I dislike Oprah for lots of reason. She is a chamleon. What Oprah did with the Katrina victims was good, but she made it a star event, and it was "OVER THE TOP" Yes, other shows did show case celebrities(people were critical of them too, read your local newspaper), but Oprah took it too a level that was almost disturbing. It was like a pre emmy show. She said all the "A" listers that would be show cased, before it started.

Oprah is very manipulative. Amy Fisher was on her show, and they told her that Joey would appear for 50,000. Amy Fisher was paid, because she wrote a stupid book. It's the same thing. How would you know how level headed people should be, if you aren't rich either?
    Last edited by jman79; 09-30-2005 at 09:53 AM.

JR.
    Please keep the thread on topic and stop the personal attacks.

I'm so disgusted with Oprah and I will never be a faithful watcher again. Where I used to applaud her generosity and her attitude of life (although much I don't agree with, I appreciate her life philosophy) she has lost me as a viewer.

Why does she think we want to know about Jennifer Aniston? Do we think no one else goes through a divorce? Its like the entire first season is celebrity driven instead of real folks. Do I want to know about her dogs? Don't get me wrong, I'm a dog owner myself. Love my critters but is this news worthy?

How about the hurricane Katrina coverage. Wagging her finger, adding to the blame game as she attempts to shame America. Too bad she didn't see the bus loads of folks roll into small towns in Texas who took those folks home, gave them beds to sleep in and found them jobs and permanent/temporary homes. She added to the embarassment of blaming those at the top instead of seeing the truth of the local issues not handled properly.

And then to proclaim the millions she is giving to Katrina relief on her show (instead of giving quietly) the whole scene seemed to be about her instead of the victims of this hurricane and flood.

Bye bye Oprah! It was nice for a while but you lost me.
    Fabulous Fifty

Want to be green?? Join the Premium Member FORT team. Click for more info!

And her house is too grand to warrant taking in refugees. Goodness, she wouldnt want to soil it.
    I thought this was rather pompous of her to even mention it.

How about the hurricane Katrina coverage. Wagging her finger, adding to the blame game as she attempts to shame America.
    She did?

I kept saying during the coverage, while people were starving in the Superdome... Why doesn't someone who has millions/almost a billion... or more... like Oprah, like Bill Gates, fly someone down there, or just make tons of phone calls... Call up a bunch of Wal Marts, tell them load up the trucks, send me the bills, get those trucks of food, water and diapers lined up and through into the Superdome! Why were all the million or billionaires out there just watching?

Well I know some of them did something like that... the two football players, who flew in a planeload of stuff... But I knew if Oprah had done it she'd have sent camera crews along with it. I finally said, I guess she is waiting til it's all safe to go in there, and things have settled down, then she will send in some trucks and cameras and make a show out of it. Sure enough.

I'm glad she sent anything at all, but, why complain now about what OTHER people didn't do, when she could've bought out every Wal Mart in the surrounding areas, and sent in truck after truck full of supplies? WHILE this was going on? And if anyone said "you can't go in" then broadcast it live - on the internet if need be - and pretty soon whoever wasn't letting supplies in would have, out of pure shame if nothing else, or fear of not being re-elected. Why not send the camera crews down (along with supplies, and broadcast it live somewhere - to make sure it was let into the Dome or other cities), when they could have done some good and saved lives? Anyone know what I'm getting at?

So could a lot of other people who are saying "why didn't someone do something" - have done something themselves. And kept trying til it WORKED. How do I know they didn't? Cos if some of these celebs had tried - they'd never stop talking about it. I just think Oprah's disconnected from reality, and instead of doing it this way which would've been faster, she likely had her Angel Network warehouses or some such, going about it in an orderly fashion. So if she's griping about what those of us who can't do this type of thing, didn't do... Oprah, eat my shorts.

FORT Fanatic
    Both Excellent posts. [mod edit]. Oprah is probably the least humble and least grounded person in the world. She is out of control.

-The Mayor asked her NOT to go in the stadium, but she begged and pleaded and they finally did, but he really asked her not to, Oprah has trouble with the word "no" They are busy, not everything should drop for Oprah.

-She is constantly fighting in California with her neighbors dealing with zoning issues. The neighborhood wants her to stop building, and she keeps fighting. Oprah once again has trouble with "no"

-Oprah tells "America" we owe New Orleans, an apology?? (makes no sense)

-The Hermes thing wasn't a crash moment, although the show was suppose to be, but her people were smart enough to tell her, she was in the wrong

-Giving away 276 cars to a studio audience is over the top, the thing that annoyed me about this is that Oprah acted as if she gave them away. She didn't.

Oprah, is about Oprah and totally about Oprah. She is totally narasistic and a show off. She has changed. She was once a very humble and down to earth. Now she can't stop name-dropping all of her celebrity friends.

Btw... her ratings have slipped a little compared to last season, but not too much.
    Last edited by JR.; 10-01-2005 at 11:57 AM. Reason: baiting

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Who's to say she hasn't done something in private?
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy
    Why doesn't someone who has millions/almost a billion... or more... like Oprah, like Bill Gates, fly someone down there, or just make tons of phone calls... Call up a bunch of Wal Marts, tell them load up the trucks, send me the bills, get those trucks of food, water and diapers lined up and through into the Superdome! Why were all the million or billionaires out there just watching?
    Because it is much easier to blame someone else for not doing the right thing".

Yes, mistakes were made big time and I sincerely hope someone somewhere will learn from them.

But before pointing fingers these people (who had the means to help when it was needed the most, not afterwards) should ask themselves if THEY did the right thing even if TV cameras were not around.

+ Reply to Thread