+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oprah

Re: Oprah

And I'm saying that sometimes it doesn't matter what you do or how little you eat, you can't lose weight or you put it back on.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

I'm sorry, I have to disagree. Unless you have an underlying medical condition, altering your eating patterns and exercising does make you lose weight. I just lost 82 pounds. Decreasing calories and increasing exercise works. The hard part is altering your thinking and maintaining a healthy lifestyle that keeps everything in moderation.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Well, there's also that little thing, in your mind, that says if you've worked out really hard and eaten like you should have, you think you can get away with eating something that you know is really off your lifestyle plan...and I think that leads to more times like that, and then more times like that. If you have weight issues, that can lead to your downfall. Just like you're cheating with the food, I think you'll also cheat with the exercise and, before you know it....BOOM! You stop keeping your food diaries, and excercise diaries, and that snowball starts to roll down the snow-covered hill...and grows and grows and grows. Didn't The Temptations do a song called "It's Growing"? I think it's sad to have to live your life to be miserable by denying yourself, but to keep fluctuating weight under control, it's a basic fact of mathematical realities.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Well, I don't think of it as denying oneself...I do think that people who are overweight and unhappy about it think more about food than people who use moderation, portion control, and healthy choices. I gained a ton of weight (well, not a ton, but enough - 40 pounds) when we last moved and I stressed and felt guilty over every bite of crap/junk food I put in my mouth. It was damn hard work getting the weight off and it was a lesson learned about dealing with stress. I find that as I get older it's harder to maintain a healthy weight, and I'm sure that's part of Oprah's experience. I suppose it's just a matter of understanding one's own body realizing that what worked at age 25 doesn't work twenty years down the road.

canuck, congratulations, that's an amazing accomplishment.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Ummm... did anyone else see Oprah's Friday Live show today? Gayle made an out of herself, Ali didn't know which end was up, and I think Mark uttered three sentences. For being adults, they sure acted immature during the sex ed discussion. Someone needs to tell Gayle that we are no longer living in the 19th century...kids know about sex, heck, they HAVE sex for crying out loud! All she wanted to do was put her head in the sand and state that she didn't agree with giving teen girls too much info. And yet, she was completely okay with teen boys taking long showers. Whaaaaa???

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3410281;
    Ummm... did anyone else see Oprah's Friday Live show today? Gayle made an out of herself, Ali didn't know which end was up, and I think Mark uttered three sentences. For being adults, they sure acted immature during the sex ed discussion. Someone needs to tell Gayle that we are no longer living in the 19th century...kids know about sex, heck, they HAVE sex for crying out loud! All she wanted to do was put her head in the sand and state that she didn't agree with giving teen girls too much info. And yet, she was completely okay with teen boys taking long showers. Whaaaaa???

What a trainwreck! I'm not sorry I missed it.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by imissme;3403517;
    Exercise and diet, really? Could it be that simple folks?
    As a 40-something woman, I, too, wear a 2/4 (mostly a 4) - and I don't think I'm too thin. And gues what - diet and exercise. Yeah, it is that simple.

I don't know what worked for Marie, but it works for me.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3403274;
    My recollection is about as skimpy as yours. I saw her and that's about all. I thought at the time that it looked like she'd fallen off the lettuce wagon. She looked large all over.

Personally I get tired of hearing about their size 2/4's. When I was growing up you never even heard of a 2/4. That's how I ended up being a good seamstress. I could only buy size 5's and they were quite large on my (then) 80 pounds. I'm fairly sure that what would have been a size 5 back then would not be one now.
    I'm sure that's true. In the late 60's 5'4" 120 lbs was a size 10 or 12 (or an 8 if you went to Saks...the first clue to me that there is no truth in sizing!). Nowadays it is a what? 2? 4?

Exactly, PWS. My 17 year-old daughter is 5'8" almost 5'9" and weighs 120. She wears size 0 or size 1 jeans. When I used to be that thin, back when dinosuars roamed the earth, I might have been able to squeeze into a six, probably most of my clothes were size 8s. There was no such thing as a zero back then.

Vanity sizing makes it almost pointless to brag about clothes size as a marker of how thin one is. I never understood why women put so much stock into what size they can squeeze their body into (regardless of how well it fits from what I've noticed) when they can just walk down the mall and find another store which will have clothes with the right numbers that will fit them.

+ Reply to Thread