+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Golden Globes - the Snubs.

Golden Globes - the Snubs.

From Hollywood .com

Global Warning

By Stacie Hougland, Hollywood.com Staff

For some, the Golden Globe nominations may be an unfortunate sign of things to come 'round Oscar time.
    With the announcement of the 2003 Golden Globe nominations a few weeks ago, it seems more than a few of 2002's releases got going with a bang, but ended the year with a disappointing whimper.

Some releases never even got off the ground, yet mysteriously surfaced at the nominations. To wit: did anyone see The Banger Sisters? Can anyone explain its star Goldie Hawn's nomination as best comic actress?

Speaking of explanations, is it not a wee bit suspicious that as usual, Miramax walked off with roughly half the nominations this year? Seriously, Queen Latifah as best supporting comic/musical actress...apparently the HFPA couldn't come up with enough categories in which to nominate Chicago. On the flip side there was poor Dreamworks, whose movies remained, for the most part, out of the running.

Now, getting snubbed by the often arbitrary and some say--not us, though--subject to studio "influence" Hollywood Foreign Press may not necessarily ring the Oscar death knell. Case in point: The Thin Red Line got seven Oscar noms in 1999, including Best Picture, after a Globes shutout.

Let's take a gander at a few of the 60th annual Golden Globe no-shows who will have to pull out all the promotional stops and pray for gold--at the box office, that is--before the Oscars. Hey, that which doesn't kill you may make you stronger.

Cry us a river: Antwone Fisher

Despite early Oscar buzz, Antwone Fisher was shut out of both the Globes and the Broadcast Film Critics Awards noms--not a good sign. Nothing wails "Oscar grab" as much as this urban weepie about a Navy seaman, abused as a foster child, and his therapy treatments--unless it's a true story about said Navy seaman with Oscar darling Denzel Washington at the helm. Maybe Globe voters found Fisher baiting them just a little too hard.

Forget that big toga party in the sky: Far From Heaven

Todd Haynes' Sirkian melodrama starring huge early fave Julianne Moore is down, but certainly not out--this could be the Thin Red Line of this year. Oddly, Far From Heaven received acting (Moore and Dennis Quaid) and screenplay (Haynes) nods but nothing for director or best picture--what's that all about?

On that note: Julianne Moore

This is more of a sub-snub, as the HFPA did give Moore best actress recognition for Far From Heaven; however, pundits had been going so far as to say she had a shot at a double best actress nomination also for her work in The Hours, or at least a best supporting nod for it, with many saying she outdid her two co-stars in that downer flick. Instead, Meryl Streep (yawn) scored the double nom, in the best and supporting categories for Hours
    and--more deservedly--Adaptation.

Grrl powerless: The Good Girl Jennifer Aniston

We're going out on a limb here to buck convention and affirm that Jennifer Aniston is waaayy more deserving of a nod for best actress in a comedy as The Good Girl's confused shopgirl than Goldie Hawn is as Banger Sisters' tired old groupie…but that's just us. (For that matter, Aniston deserved the nod more than My Big Fat Greek Wedding star Nia Vardalos--but again, that's just us.) The argument could be made that The Good Girl isn't exactly a comedy--but then, how funny is Nicholas Nickleby?

On the road to nowhere: Dreamworks

Awards season heavyweights Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks can fuhggettaboutit--we won't be seeing them at the podium this year--any podium. Spielberg's Catch Me If You Can only scored one nod for best actor. Hanks' July film Road to Perdition was really the studio's only other serious awards season hopeful--it only got one nomination, and not for Hanks, but for supporting star Paul Newman.

We want our good TV: Scrubs and more

Enough Sex and the City already--the city's boring, the story lines more desperate than Carrie's search for a man, and the sex now only leads to babies, those little sitcom kisses of death. What's funny or sexy about impending motherhood and crying kids, we dunno. What are funny, and sadly overlooked, are Scrubs and Everybody Loves Raymond (despite numerous accolades and Emmy after Emmy for that show and its entire cast, Ray Romano remains the show's only star to be nominated for a Golden Globe, and not this year.)

Others MIA: They might've Spiked-er, spiced--it up

Guess it still isn't time for Spike Lee, or his 25th Hour...Ray Liotta and Narc got almost universally outstanding reviews, but perhaps the film was too gritty for the HFPA...Alfred Molina got more good buzz than Salma Hayek for his role in Frida, yet she scored the film's only major nod...Robin Williams turned in a stellar performance in One Hour Photo (which, like The Good Girl and Antwone Fisher, came to us care of Fox Searchlight--why is Miramax is the only semi-indie studio worth major recognition?)…Rebecca Romijn-Stamos for her fine work in Femme Fatale--kidding, kidding.

I would agree that Jennifer Aniston's performance in the Good Girl is deserving of more recognition than it is getting.

Hard to classify it as a pure comedy though... it was even more twisted than the usual black comedy.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I haven't seen it.
    We were thinking of renting it at the weekend.
    I think I might give it a look.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I saw it last fall... didn't want to see it, but it was one of those second date, gotta make a sacrifice things... turns out it was pretty good... but disturbing all at once.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Hey is anyone else thinking that hollywood husbands and wives are purposely starting to leave each other off their thanking lists??

They used to go on and on and thank their spouse, lover, significant other etc etc... now they rarely do..

hmmm and Richard Gere thanked his new wife for teaching him how to smile... guess his ex -wife Cindy Crawford will be happy to hear that LOL!

Oh and i didnt hear Jennifer thank Brad... and they had the cam right on him and he looked like an anxious puppy waiting for his treat... kind of embarrassing ... did i miss her thanking him?

Dustbunny

You're not my husband are you?

He said exactly the same thing as we watched the show last night.

I wonder if it is deliberate.
    I know Hilary Swank got some ribbing for not mentioning cry baby Chad in her Oscar speech a couple of years back.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread