+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Degrassi: The Next Generation

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    I'm just a few years younger than the characters from the original series, but I never saw the original series (I don't think it aired in the States back in the day). Back when we used to get the "N" on cable, I'd watch DeGrassi:TNG. Kind of took me back to my junior high days, though I never had to deal with many of the problems that the kids on the show deal with (I wasn't into girls or drugs or anything like that at the time. All I cared about was video games. Sort of like now, except that I like booze and cigars now too... ). Plus, I don't remember any of the girls in my school being half as attractive as the girls on that show are...
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

I love this show. The thing is, my mom sometimes wont let me watch the episodes, if they are too innapropriate. And trust me...sometimes they are. It has gotten more innapropriate and dramatic this new season, and I was very surprised to read what some of the episodes were gonna be about.

lol. well, just wanted to comment on that...

cory

Quote Originally Posted by weathergirl91
    I love this show. The thing is, my mom sometimes wont let me watch the episodes, if they are too innapropriate. And trust me...sometimes they are. It has gotten more innapropriate and dramatic this new season, and I was very surprised to read what some of the episodes were gonna be about.
    Hi there, Cory. That's too bad that your mom doesn't want you to watch some of the episodes, given that they can be very enlightening. I think Degrassi does a really great job of tackling some touchy issues. Maybe you should ask your mom to watch an episode with you. Has she ever actually sat down and watched the show before? Granted, a couple episodes have been a little uncomfortable to watch with my daughter, but life isn't always easy and it's the parents who stick their heads in the sand and want to believe "not my child" who are headed for disaster. We talk to each other during and after the show, sharing our thoughts and opinions, and both really enjoy that time together. Present that to your mom in a mature manner and I'll bet you she'll give it a try!

Good luck, Sweetie!
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I haven't seen a single episode of Degrassi Next Generation but I did have an obsession with the show in the 80s when it was called "Degrassi Junior High" and "Kids of Degrassi Street."

In fact, I just preordered the DVD boxset of the first season of "Junior High" on Amazon (it's selling for $30). I hope to rekindle some fond TV memories from my childhood.

I might even tune in to the Next Generation. Even though I would feel like a creepy, old man.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Does anyone know if The-N showed the episode where Manny found out she was pregnant? They previewed part of the episode in a commercial, but I don't remember seeing the episode. The degrassi website has a plot summary for the episode.

With the original Degrassi shows, episodes about pregnancy and abortion aired. I can't imagine why those episodes would be risky now.

I never saw that episode OR the previews, which stinks cuz i really wanna c it

Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky
    Does anyone know if The-N showed the episode where Manny found out she was pregnant?
    I believe The N chose not to show that particular plotline completely, possibly because it ends with...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Manny getting an abortion.

I have a question: Where in Canada is the show supposed to take place?

FORT Fogey
    I don't know whether this is a spoiler or not so...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Just wondering if they show the whole gay makeout scene in the states. If they don't show abortion there, I'm guessing they wouldn't show that either. That happened in today's episode (with the Prom and Kevin Smith and Manny getting her skirt ripped off).

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    The shows are shown few months later here in the states. They have shown Marco and his boyfriend kissing.

I really don't understand why they didn't show the epsiode here. They should all of the original Degrassi episodes from the 80s, AIDS, sex, preganancy, abortion, abuse, all of it. If is wasn't too contraversial for the 80s, I don't see why if would be now. I think The-N chickened out, at a disservice to today's teens.

Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    I believe The N chose not to show that particular plotline completely, possibly because it ends with...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Manny getting an abortion.

I have a question: Where in Canada is the show supposed to take place?
    The show takes place in my home town, Toronto, ON

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast