+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Favourite British shows?

Quote Originally Posted by sponchild View Post
    Hi, I am a new member , and love a lot of the British shows, and am presently trying to collect all of Hugh Laurie's work. While I have quite a bit I am really anxious to find and view some of the TV shows that are not available commercially. I would really love to see A Place of Lions, All Or Nothing At All, Fortysomething, plus many other things. We get so little stuff here (BC Canada) or at least that I can find, other than the most well known shows. If anyone has any of Hugh's stuff on tape, knows where I can find it, or even knows when something will air here, I would love to hear about it!
    You should try and get a copy of the movie Peter's Friends, Hugh is excellent in it.

I liked him in MI5 (Spooks). The Jeeves and Wooster series is another Hugh project that I just love. I wish PBS would bring it back. Of course, I'm sure you know about the Blackadder's.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

Hugh Laurie did a series, must be at least ten years ago called , A little bit of Fry and Laurie, with Stephen Fry. Don't think it's even been repeated in recent years in Britain. Remember it as being very funny. A sketch show with Hugh and Stephen mainly.
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

I am another huge fan of Are you Being Served. I loved loved loved this show when it was on, but unfortunately our local PBS station does not show it anymore!

FORT Fan

British shows

So many great ones... too long to list all but some of my favorites are Heartbeat, Touch of Frost and the old goldies Yes Minister and Yes, Prime Minister, which are playing on reruns in BC, Canada.

This Life, easily THE best British TV series ever. If you want a longer explanation as to way, go to the "Cancelled shows I miss" thread and read my little rant
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I agree, gtg, This Life was a fantastic show.

I also really liked The Lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by sukee View Post
    You should try and get a copy of the movie Peter's Friends, Hugh is excellent in it.

I liked him in MI5 (Spooks). The Jeeves and Wooster series is another Hugh project that I just love. I wish PBS would bring it back. Of course, I'm sure you know about the Blackadder's.
    Ask and ye shall receive. It seems that the Buffalo PBS station is showing Jeeves and Wooster again
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

FORT Newbie

Black Books, Wire in the Blood: lets swap sets!

Over here in the States, sorry about the Bush thing folks, some of us get BBC America, which showcases a very filtered selection of British TV. Black Books is a favorite of mine. I saw it last year and was laughing so loud they could here me in the next state. The crime stuff is good too. Wire in the Blood is always fun. I like English sensibility. Sorry about George III business slap in the face thing, feel bad about that too.

Has Phoenix Nights been shown in the US. It's an absolutely hilarious sitcom set in a Lancashire Working Men's Club. I can watch it over and over and double up laughing at it every time. It's one of those shows that doesn't sound great, but is wonderful to watch. If you love Father Ted you'll love this!

http://www.sitcom.co.uk/phoenix_nights/index.shtml
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em with Michael Crawford.
    This is the first British comedy that I remember watching.

+ Reply to Thread