+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Favourite British shows?

Quote Originally Posted by Belfastgirl
    Little Britain ( although if the US can't deal with Janet Jackson's Superbowl incident, I don't know HOW any of the second series could EVER be shown there...

I just have to jump in here and clarify that Americans-at-large COULD handle the Janet Jackson thing. I personally have yet to meet a single person who was actually offended by it!

IMHO, it more of a talk-about-it-around-the-water-cooler moment than anything else.

Granted, I live in liberal San Francisco, but I still can't fathom what all of the outrage was about!

(Can't let ME be defined by my goverment, dontchaknow!)
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

Just read that Simon Ruller and Tony Jordan, of EastEnders fame, are developing a multicultural soap set in a working class Chicago neighborhood for Fox. Currently scheduled for Fall 2005 season.

For me that will indeed be worth a look to see if it comes up to EastEnders quality.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Father Ted.... I forgot about that show until I saw it mentioned here. The old drunk priest fits every stereotype of Catholic Irish clergy I can think of.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

FORT Fan
    I love "Couplings". The show just cracks me up.

I love Red Dwarf, Are You Being Served?, Blackadder, Vicar of Dibley and Father Ted.

My family thinks I'm weird.

FORT Newbie
    I also love my BBC (whenever I can get the remote from my hubby). I love the gritty mysteries, the costume shows, the design shows (what is Carol doing now? Love Lawrence, he is a natural. Interesting difference to U.S. styles sometimes), early Ballykissangel, Monarch of the Glen, but my favorite is Hamish MacBeth. Love that talented man-Robert Carlyle. I will also watch anything with John Hannah. Ladies also--went blank other than Helen Mirrien. I liked the two female detectives, Ash & S..?-went blank on the title also. But it disappeared from the line-up-was on Mon after Hamish. Sorry my mind is mush today!

We subscribe to BBC and especially love the mysteries - Red Cap, John Hannah's coroner (can't remember the name), the two girl cops, etc. Also love A&E's MI5 (my fave), any costume drama and mini-series on PBS, etc. I've become a real Anglophile (especially after a trip to London). I think the Brits do mysteries the best, but I am not overly fond of the comedies (but then I am not a comedy buff anyway).

FORT Newbie
    Just remembered the name of that show with female detectives--Murder in Suburbia!

Quote Originally Posted by aname
    We subscribe to BBC and especially love the mysteries - Red Cap, John Hannah's coroner (can't remember the name), the two girl cops, etc. Also love A&E's MI5 (my fave), any costume drama and mini-series on PBS, etc. I've become a real Anglophile (especially after a trip to London). I think the Brits do mysteries the best, but I am not overly fond of the comedies (but then I am not a comedy buff anyway).

I think what you know as MI5 is known as "Spooks" here. It's a slang term for spies and the like, so probably needed to be changed in the US. Have you got "Hustle" on BBC America yet. It's a con artist / scam drama ( with some comedy. ) It's excellent, I'm waiting for the DVD to come out in Britain and the second series starts soon. It's an ensemble show and one of the con men is played by Robert Vaughn the US actor.
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

FORT Newbie

Hugh Laurie Shows

Hi, I am a new member , and love a lot of the British shows, and am presently trying to collect all of Hugh Laurie's work. While I have quite a bit I am really anxious to find and view some of the TV shows that are not available commercially. I would really love to see A Place of Lions, All Or Nothing At All, Fortysomething, plus many other things. We get so little stuff here (BC Canada) or at least that I can find, other than the most well known shows. If anyone has any of Hugh's stuff on tape, knows where I can find it, or even knows when something will air here, I would love to hear about it!

+ Reply to Thread