+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Favourite British shows?

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by sukee
    Oh, and I forgot Doctor Who! How could I forget Doctor Who? I got hooked on that at a very young age (I was in Scotland until I was 11)
    Yes, Dr.Who! What a weird show... we were in England during one of the actor transitions... those phone booths..

Favorite British shows

"Wire in the Blood" and "Murder in Mind".

America's Law & Order franchise wishes it was as good as Murder in Mind!

Fort Member
    CCL Seachange was great David Wenham is fabulous. It stayed good even after he left but he was missed. The new guy the bring in whose name I cannot remember plays a good part but is no where near as good to look at.
    Changing rooms was great but after Carole left my husband didnt watch it as much as I have to agree I really missed Laurence as a designer he always did such good things and he wasnt that great as a host.

Premium Member
    I always loved The Office, but it's now concluded? Bummer!

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by mozzz
    I always loved The Office, but it's now concluded? Bummer!
    I always find that British shows end quite early in their run. As opposed to American shows which often outlive their welcome. I mean, how many episodes are there of Fawlty Towers? 15 or so? And that was a brilliant show. And their seasons tend to be much shorter than the 22 episode run of American shows.
    I've never seen The Office but I've heard good things about it. I've read interviews with the boss-man Ricky Gervais and he is very funny.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    I always find that British shows end quite early in their run. As opposed to American shows which often outlive their welcome. I mean, how many episodes are there of Fawlty Towers? 15 or so?
    12. Yes, British shows ensure higher quality by having shorter runs and leaving the audience wanting more.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

British comedies tend to run to 6 episodes per series. They are also usually written by one or two people rather than writing teams. Indeed most British drama series are the same e.g. Jonathan Creek is written by David Renwick. Only British soaps are written by teams of writers.

It's very interesting to hear about the British Shows you love. Of all the ones mentioned in the thread my favourites are Blackadder ( except for series 1 ) , Father Ted, Little Britain ( although if the US can't deal with Janet Jackson's Superbowl incident, I don't know HOW any of the second series could EVER be shown there, Jonathan Creek ( series 1 and 2 ).

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Belfastgirl
    ... Of all the ones mentioned in the thread my favourites are Blackadder ( except for series 1 ) , Father Ted, Little Britain....
    Yeah, I forgot to clarify--series 1 of Blackadder just wasn't right. Too simpering, not enough comedy evil.

And I totally forgot about Father Ted! Must have had a brain hiccup. I loved that really old priest guy. (He reminds me of a relative of mine! )

Little Britain is hysterical. It's on cable here, so they can show whatever they want. I'm not sure what series they are showing though--first or second. Gotta check that out.

Belfastgirl Canadian tv is much more like British tv when it comes to sensorship. Anything goes after 9pm. American tv can't even handle some of the shows they produce like The Osbournes - it's bleeped to shreds. You only get every second word or so because of the language In Canada we get it uncut and uncensored.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Florimel
    I agree. The Prisoner was a fascinating show. I'll also admit to being a fan of the science fiction show, "UFO." Cheesy, but great fun. At least, that's what I think it was called. Anybody remember that one?
    I watched the whole series on DVD (thank you Netflix) last summer. It was Gerry Anderson's precursor to "Space: 1999". I thought it was a hoot, their idea of what 1980 would be like was really funny.

I love Changing Rooms (so much better than Trading Spaces), House Doctor, Location, Doctor Who, Blake's 7, Prime Suspect, Keeping up Appearances, Waking the Dead, Monarch of the Glen, The Bishop of Dibley, AbFab, and so many more. I also love watching Trinnie and Susannah feeling up their chesty clients. You will never see Clinton and Stacie do that.
    Last edited by Chorita KaBoom; 11-19-2004 at 03:45 PM.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

+ Reply to Thread