+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Favourite British shows?

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    I really love British comedy. I have been a huge fan of Monty Python anything since I was a kid.

My all time favorite British shows have to be: MP's Flying Circus, Fawlty Towers, BlackAdder (I prefer R. Atkinson as the smart, caustic BlackAdder than Mr. Bean, and my favorite of the series is BlackAdder II--Miranda Richardson as Queen Elizabeth is priceless), Jeeves and Wooster, The Young Ones, The Comic Strip Presents, French and Saunders and AbFab.

I love having BBC America now, and more recently have really gotten into The Office, Coupling, Manchild, Father Ted, Vicar of Dibley and Little Britain.

Are You Being Served? and Keeping Up Appearances are also old favorites and remind me of my Grandma--we used to watch them together on PBS when I as little.

Are BBC America really showing "Little Britain"? I thought it would be too near the knuckle for the US. Even censored there wouldn't be much to show! The second series is currently on BBC3 in Britain. I LOVE this show, it's my current favourite and I could quote endlessly from it, yeah, but no, but yeah, but no...................lol

Yes, Belfastgirl, they are! I remember catching it late at night, so maybe that's how they get past being censored (also, BBC Am is a cable channel, that also gives programmers more freedom for content). I'd never heard of it before, but I was just completely pulled into it. HYSTERICAL!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel
    I agree. The Prisoner was a fascinating show. I'll also admit to being a fan of the science fiction show, "UFO." Cheesy, but great fun. At least, that's what I think it was called. Anybody remember that one?
    Oh, and I forgot Doctor Who! How could I forget Doctor Who? I got hooked on that at a very young age (I was in Scotland until I was 11)
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda
    Jonathon Creek
    The Brief
    Midsomer Murders
    McCallum
    Prime Suspect
    A touch of Frost
    What not to Wear
    You are what you eat
    Selling Houses
    Location Location Location
    Any cooking show with Ainsley Harriot
    Bargain Hunt
    and the decorating show i have forgotten the name where the kids decide how to remodel the house some of the ideas they have are brillant like turning the bathroom into a tropical rainforerst and the coughing moose to stop the parents from smoking in the dining room, the hidden sprinklers in the footpath to stop unwanted visitors.
    Didnt realise how many British shows I watch
    I'm liking Midsomer Murders
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

Fort Member
    CCL Your right Ainsley is Ready Steady Cook. I just couldnt remember the name of it at the time. His BBQ adventures were good too. We get a lot, a real lot of British shows on our commercial TV as well as on Cable. On cable we have a station dedicated to them UKTV and most of the programes on the lifestyle and How too station are from the UK as well. We have tried to make local versions of some of the shows but they never work.

Gosh I didn't realise how many UK shows you could get over the very little waters that seperate us!???

A lot of my faves are amongst that list! I adore Trinny and Susanna - they are wicked and do the most outrageous things to those poor women - but God do I love it??

My hubby and I were on the very first Changing Rooms series - when it was aired on BBC 2 [way back in 1987 or 88 - memory has gone!]

The Office has to be my fave - but looking to be ousted into second by Little Britain - please tell me you get this??? My 14 year old and his school chums are utterly obsesed by it - it is so irreverant and politically incorrect - it is just pant wettingly funny.

Do you get Wire in the Blood or Emmerdale or 55 Degrees North?? I only ask cos I was in them - now before we all get excited, me included, no I am not famous and no I am not a proper actress [although I aim to be]. But I did have a speaking part in 55 degrees north.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip
    My hubby and I were on the very first Changing Rooms series - when it was aired on BBC 2 [way back in 1987 or 88 - memory has gone!]
    That's ace, Flip! I still prefer the original Changing Rooms to the US version.

The Office has to be my fave - but looking to be ousted into second by Little Britain - please tell me you get this??? My 14 year old and his school chums are utterly obsesed by it - it is so irreverant and politically incorrect - it is just pant wettingly funny.

Do you get Wire in the Blood or Emmerdale or 55 Degrees North?? I only ask cos I was in them - now before we all get excited, me included, no I am not famous and no I am not a proper actress [although I aim to be]. But I did have a speaking part in 55 degrees north.
    As mentioned above, yes we do get Little Britain here--at least if you have BBC America in your cable package (I do, and I couldn't live without it).

I haven't heard of Wire in the Blood, Emmerdale, or 55 Degrees North but if I ever see them, I'll think of you! Good luck with your acting career!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by sukee
    I'm liking Midsomer Murders
    I like that one too. I no longer have cable, but when I did, I loved those British mystery series' that A&E showed. And, of course, "Absolutely Fabulous". I always preferred the UK "Whose Line is it Anyway" to the American one, and I love Monty Python.
    I saw a couple of episodes of The Office on a flight this summer and thought it was hilarious.
    But now that I don't have cable, my jones for British television must be satisfied mostly by reruns of "Fawlty Towers" and "Are You Being Served?" on PBS. Funny shows, but I'm jealous of those of you who can see shows from, say, this decade.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

CCL
    Flip: I love Changing Rooms! Didn't it just get cancelled though? Laurence LLewellyn Bowen was better as a designer than a host, methinks. Maybe I saw the one you were in...Go on. Give us a quick description.
    I've heard of Emmerdale but don't believe we get it here. I've not heard of the other 2 shows you mention. Here in Canada we have BBC Canada which is not as good as BBC America (in my opinion. The American version seems to have a better variety of shows.) But they also air British shows on various other channels. And Australian shows for that matter. I'm watching Seachange at the moment, Lucynda. I know it is a few years old but I'm still loving David Wenham! He's going to be leaving Pearl Bay soon though...
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigrazhia
    The Office, Coupling & "Keeping up Appearances" are my favorite British shows I also watch "Faking it" a lot & I also love "Fawlty Towers"... and Graham Norton, although he is on Comedy Central out here now but I was watching him on BBC way before then

Oh wait a minute, I almost forgot my ABSOLUTE favorite Brit, Mr. Bean. It doesn't get much better than Mr. Bean ....
    I was lying in bed last night thinking "Hey - nobody mentioned Mr. Bean!"

I have also been catching Faking It at 1 AM Tuesday nights.

Other Britcoms I remember from my younger days are: On the Buses, Bless This House, Billy Liar, and Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em. To this day I can't look at Michael Crawford without giggling.

And more recently I've watched: Cold Feet, Drop the Dead Donkey, Mulberry, Darling Buds of May, and Last of the Summer Wine.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

+ Reply to Thread