+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Favourite British shows?

EastEnders, definitely. Also like Ab Fab, Are You Being Served?, Fawlty Towers, and of course ANY Monty Python shows or movies.

Oh, and the two women who do the British version of What Not to Wear totally kick Stacey & Clinton's butt. I've seen their show and caught them on Oprah - they are awesome entertainment as well as fashion mavens.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I'm addicted to Corrie, a Scottish show called The Book Club (only 12 episodes) Keeping up Appearances, Coupling, Are you being Served?, Cracker and of course British 'game' shows like Cash in the Attic and Hot Property. I like Selling Houses too.
    I wish we got more British programming.. I enjoy the humour much more than the 'in your face just in case you didn't get the subtlety' American humour.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    EastEnders, definitely. Also like Ab Fab, Are You Being Served?, Fawlty Towers, and of course ANY Monty Python shows or movies.

Oh, and the two women who do the British version of What Not to Wear totally kick Stacey & Clinton's butt. I've seen their show and caught them on Oprah - they are awesome entertainment as well as fashion mavens.
    I like Stacey and Clinton much better than the two Brits - they may be over the top campy, but they have better fashion sense INMHO.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

I like Coupling (although I've only seen the first two seasons), Are You Being Served? and Red Dwarf. I was obsessed with AbFab back when it first came out.

Oh man, I'd never be able to list all the British shows I watch. I watch more British shows than Canadian shows, which is kind of sad.

Britcoms are the best. And I rarely watch the U.S. versions of British shows, they're just never as good. Case in point: Cracker. Robbie Coltrane is so brilliant I never even tuned in to the U.S. version.

Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Coronation Street, EastEnders, Coupling, Keeping Up Appearances, Ballykissangel, Bless Me Father, Heartbeat, Spender, Waiting for God, One Foot in the Grave, Are You Being Served, Queer as Folk, Night and Day. PBS is good about running various Britcoms. But one series I watched as a kid I've never seen since: Doctor in the House.

Anybody remember The Prisoner (from the 60's?) Or The Kenny Everett Video Show?

Now I'm going to be up all night trying to remember more shows. I'll be in this thread every 5 minutes making more posts.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    I do remember the Prisoner--was in England in the mid 80's and saw it there--very weird but fascinating. Also watched quite a bit of Coronation St. at the time.
    There were some terrific shows on... have forgotten its name now...maybe someone else knows... one set in some place like Manchester with incredibly thick accents about somewhat thug type guys... hmm not much of a description but I know I tried never to miss it. Hadn't mastered a vcr yet as they weren't common in the States then, altho the place we rented had one.

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    Oh man, I'd never be able to list all the British shows I watch. I watch more British shows than Canadian shows, which is kind of sad.

Britcoms are the best. And I rarely watch the U.S. versions of British shows, they're just never as good. Case in point: Cracker. Robbie Coltrane is so brilliant I never even tuned in to the U.S. version.

Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Coronation Street, EastEnders, Coupling, Keeping Up Appearances, Ballykissangel, Bless Me Father, Heartbeat, Spender, Waiting for God, One Foot in the Grave, Are You Being Served, Queer as Folk, Night and Day. PBS is good about running various Britcoms. But one series I watched as a kid I've never seen since: Doctor in the House.

Anybody remember The Prisoner (from the 60's?) Or The Kenny Everett Video Show?

Now I'm going to be up all night trying to remember more shows. I'll be in this thread every 5 minutes making more posts.
    I loved The Prisoner. Even though I could never figure it out when I was a kid. One Foot in the Grave is another one that I really enjoyed.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    Aside from Benny Hill, I am a huuuuge Young Ones fan. They showed a couple of seasons on late night MTV about 15-20 years ago, which thankfully my brothers taped. I also prefer the UK version of Who's Line Is It Anyway.
    I'm right there with ya. We didn't own a VCR when MTV was running The Young Ones, so I taped it onto audio cassette tapes. Still have em! They showed it on Sunday nights at midnight, so I could only watch if there was no school the next day.

I also LOVE The Office, and I watch it every time it's on.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    I love Trinnie (sp?) & Susannah! They are so funny; they'll tell a woman that she has fabulous tits or that they are jealous of her arse; it cracks me up! I like the British version of "What not to Wear" better all the way around.

As far as the American version of WNTW, Clinton is OK, but Stacey is obnoxious & not funny (but she thinks she is).
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

How could I forget the UK Whose Line? It's one of my all-time favorite shows!

+ Reply to Thread