+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Favourite British shows?

Re: Favourite British shows?

I am a Top Gear and Dr Who fan. Went to see the 50th Anniversary show last night...in 3D....AMAZING!
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Coronation Street, I just hate that Hayley is dying. It.s an awful time to watch my favourite show. It also brings back horrible memories
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I haven't been able to see the 50th special for Doctor Who yet, but I did get to see "An Adventure in Space and Time." It was very good, and overall they chose well for the cast as far as their real life counterparts. The main actors in this one in particular... though the actors for those who played Stephen, Dodo, Vicki, Polly and Ben weren't quite as strong in their similarities. The actor playing William Russell also physically was a bit off, but the voice was rather accurate.

And I loved one of the particular cameo appearances right in the beginning. It was very good to see him acting at his age now and his role is very, very funny.

Will say favorite comedy is still My Hero, followed by "Are You Being Served?" - but the latter is a classic. Favorite short run series is "Fawlty Towers" - a clear way to show how you can pack an hour long story in 30 minutes and make it good. I do wish they had made more than 12, but not many more.
    Florimel likes this.

Ah, Fawlty Towers , I have watched them over and over. I think John Cleese is so smart, so funny.
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Ah, Fawlty Towers , I have watched them over and over. I think John Cleese is so smart, so funny.
    Not to mention Andrew Sachs, who was so amazing as Manuel. I really enjoyed seeing him again in the movie, Quartet.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Not to mention Andrew Sachs, who was so amazing as Manuel. I really enjoyed seeing him again in the movie, Quartet.
    Yes, same here.
    -Andy Rooney-

Of note, Sachs also voiced the bad guy in the Eighth Doctor/Romana version of "Shada" which was an animated online story a few years ago. He was very good in it, and honestly I felt better than the person whom they cast in the original version - which BTW was never completed due to a writer's strike, but they recently released with the connecting information done by Tom Baker.

As far as Fawlty Towers - that is a true classic I think. It's one you can watch over and over again and while the costumes and design of the interior is dated, the storylines are not dated. You could see most of them (save probably parts of "The Germans") in present day. I do wish they'd show more of "Monty Python's Circus" though here.

Another British show I like is "Goodnight, Sweetheart" because it's a subtle comedy and played rather well. The only downside for me is the whole adultery storyline in there (it's not a MAJOR part of the story, but one of many threads) but other than that I like how it shows how we've changed and the consequences of our actions and decisions, and what if we tried to change the past, etc. And it's nice to see Nicholas Lyndhurst in a role that is far from his "Rodney" role in "Only Fools and Horses."....

... though speaking of "OFAH" - I STILL can't believe that of all the things they could focus on in the London Closing Ceremonies, Bob Costas not only mentions the little comedy sketch they did based on the show, he had ZERO idea what the show was. (This was the parody of Rodney and DelBoy as Batman and Robin.)

+ Reply to Thread