+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Favourite British shows?

Re: Favourite British shows?

diamonds I have to disagree with you. I'm finding Ashes to Ashes to be so much better than Life on Mars. In LOM Sam Tyler is so serious and intense the only comedy comes from The Gov and his totally Un-PC staff. In ATA Alex's acerbic wit is hilarious. ie: walking into the squad room : "Good morning constructs" (FYI she knows that the entire crew are constructs of her sub-conscious thanks to Sam Tyler's detailed notes)
    LOM is set in 1973 - with way better music. ATA is set in 1981 with the beginnings of punk.
    I highly recommend both series.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Fan

Don't get me wrong I'll still be ordering Ashes to Ashes Season 2 on ebay and cant wait until it comes out next year. I liked Keeley Hawes in MI5 but I'm not keen on her in Ashes. Youre right Sam wasnt as funny but Life On Mars is just so original.

Coronation Street for me. A 40 odd year old soap about the lives and loves of very realistic people in the North of England.

FORT Fan

Do you get Coronation St there in Canada? We don't get it here what channel is it on?

we do get Corrie here it's on CBC we are about 9 months behind but we are still way ahead of Aus and NZ!

Where are you from diamonds?

I agree that LOM was totally original - which is why the American stations wanted it (too bad they ruined it)
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Fan

I'm from St. Helens which is between Liverpool and Manchester I moved over here when I was 19 so have been here over 10 years. Can't believe you get that. I remember going to Granada in high school and waiting for the cast of Corrie I got to meet Steve and I think it was Andy. Do you remember them they were a big deal in the early 90's. I'd pay extra to get more shows but you just cant get them.

Did anyone watch the premiere episode of Atlantis this weekend on BBC America? I stumbled across it while watching some of the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary stuff. I found the pilot quite fun. It's definitely an action series, but with some interesting historical points of view and lot of humor.

As an example, one of the main characters is Hercules, but it is not a Kevin Sorbo type Hercules. This one, as played by Marc Addy, is on the pudgy side. He's a gambler, not overly courageous, and a womanizer with a tendency to build his legacy by exaggerating his contributions of the heroic deeds of others. Another is a very young Pythagoras, who is a mathematician that is playing around with triangles. This is long before he developed his theorem. The main character of Jason has actually gotten to Atlantis from our contemporary time frame. He is searching for what happened to his father and is thrust into Atlantis by means of a submarine "accident."

I expect I'll be watching this one. If anyone wants to know more Atlantis | BBC America
    Punkin likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I watch Corrie, East Enders, most stupid young adult stuff with my daughter, I watched Spaced, The IT Crowd, Downton, Sherlock etc...ect.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Speaking of British shows, is everyone aware that the remaining members of Monty Python are getting back together & will be back to doing what they did so well?
    Punkin and PA Snow Bunny like this.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Speaking of British shows, is everyone aware that the remaining members of Monty Python are getting back together & will be back to doing what they did so well?
    I am! I was hoping for a chance to take my dad. I am not a huge fan (I know *gasp*) but he loves them so much that it is a part of my childhood.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

+ Reply to Thread