+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Favourite British shows?

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by Belfastgirl;2270485;
    Sad news to report for fans of camp 1970s comedy Are you being served?
    The death has been announced of John Inman, who played Mr Humphries. I loved this show as a child, innocently laughing at the "double entendre" jokes.

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Comedy actor Inman dies aged 71
    Oh that's so sad! I've always loved him.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    Has anyone seen the This Life reunion show, by the way? It aired in the UK in early January but I haven't been able to watch it yet. Should be brilliant. I got the complete series of This Life for Christmas and was amazed at just how frickin' fantastic it still is, ten years on. My personal idea of popcultural heaven would spring to life if Anna got her own spin off. Oooh, I get all giddy just thinking about it
    I haven't seen the reunion show. Boo! I don't know when they will air it here (Canada). I've read the premise and that's about it. It's for sale on Amazon.co.uk though so maybe you could buy it there?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

John Inman died? I'm so sorry to hear that...I loved Are You Being Served and he was the best part. I guess he's really free now
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2271360;

I haven't seen the reunion show. Boo! I don't know when they will air it here (Canada). I've read the premise and that's about it. It's for sale on Amazon.co.uk though so maybe you could buy it there?
    Oooh, I didn't know that! It just so happens that my folks are in the UK at the moment, so I'll ask them to get me a copy. Whee! Thanks so much for the heads-up.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I am SO MAD at BBC america last sunday! I so prepared to watch the Season 1 finale of Doctor Who last sunday at 7 am... and it wasnt on! I was looking forward to it all week, too!
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Oooh, I didn't know there was a This Life reunion.
    This Life is one of my favourite shows ever.
    There's no way to fault that show imo.
    I hope we get it in Canada, if not I'll be hunting it down on dvd.

I love so many British and Australian programs that I couldn't even begin to list them all! I especially love some of the older British sitcoms (we only get to see the odd one here in Canada), and would love to see others that I have only been able to read about...some of my favorites include "Are You Being Served (sad news about John Inman), To The Manor Born, Last of the Summer Wine, The Good Life (a.k.a. Good Neighbors), Fresh Fields, French Fields, Two Pints of Lager, and Coupling...and that's just to name a few. Plus, I also watch Coronation Street and Eastenders, and the dramas such as Rosemary and Thyme, A Touch of Frost, Gil Mayo Mysteries, and Hettie Wainthrope (also just to name a few)!

I could just go on and on forever I think....
    "Does she remind you of anyone? Suddenly I want pea soup..." Supernatural

my first British Comedy I fell in love with was Red Dwarf *starts humming Tongue Tied*
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Make the most of the old British comedies as unfortunately the newer ones aren't up to scratch. I can't even think of a good current show! Little Britain is the best recent one and it's about 4 yrs since the first series!

Anyone with any questions about British TV I'll be happy to try to answer.
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

My current fav is Cash in the Attic. I love Alastiar, Paul and Jonti! they are so cute. I get so excited for the families when the auction starts and when they don't make the money they need I feel so bad for them!

My all-time is The Office. One of my students got me into it two years ago, si i had to go buy the complete series. David singing "If you don't know me by now" is pure comic genius!

I love the BBC suspense dramas - Silent Witness, Crimes of Passion, Inspector Lynley mysteries, etc. Also love the dramas like Bodies, Hex, and others. The Brits do mysteries better than anyone. I also love the period pieces (which are also shown on PBS Masterpiece Theatre) - Jane Austin, The Bronte sisters, Dickens, Wharton, etc.

+ Reply to Thread