+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Favourite British shows?

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Well, they didn't screw up on the remake of The Office - the American version is hilarious. And All in the Family was an American remake of a British show, and it was successful.
    I find the US version of The Office so inferior to the British version that it's unwatchable for me.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff View Post
    I find the US version of The Office so inferior to the British version that it's unwatchable for me.
    Ah, that's too bad, fluff. But to each her own.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Ah that's sad news, Bof_Cof. I heard about that, and it breaks my heart because I thought Richard Coyle was brilliant...maybe that's why I've felt resistant about watching it. Especially because at the end of Series 3 they hint that Jane and Jeff will get together (and they are actually my favorite characters, in a twisted way ).
    Jane & Jeff were the best characters on Coupling. I remember seeing Richard Coyle in another show and he didn't have the Welsh accent and wasn't remotely Jeff-like and he just seemed so different. The mark of a good actor, I guess, being able to inhabit such different characters convincingly.

For those with BBC Canada: the channel will begin airing the recent BBC miniseries Bleak House (Wednesdays at 10, from August 2nd).
    Last edited by CCL; 07-28-2006 at 01:37 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Was it "The Best Man," CCL? I saw that mini, and he was shockingly un-Jeff-like! Speaking of Richard Coyle, I was excited at the prospect of seeing him regularly on my TV screen again when I heard he was in a pilot for a new (American) TV show called "Ultra"--a superhero series in which he plays the intriguingly named villain "Cryptic Man." Alas, it hasn't been picked up by any networks for the fall (it had been rumored to go to CBS, but it never showed up on their schedule). I'm trying to hold out hope that it could be a mid-season replacement, but it's starting to look like the project's being killed.

I was just reading upthread that they are planning on remaking "Life on Mars" for American TV. Noooooooo!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Belfastgirl View Post
    AND the best new show this year is Life on Mars... check BBC website. It sounds corny but is just wonderful. A 2006 cop is hit by a car and wakes up in 1973! Told you it sounded weird. Anyway, it's MUCH MUCH better than it sounds. If you remember the Sweeney you'll get the idea
    I just got the first episode on my cable's On Demand program (I don't get BBC America, but I get some of the stuff this way). Oh my freaking gosh this was an awesome show. I was glued to the set.

You got any spoilers for me, Belfastgirl? I'm dying to know
    Click to see Spoiler:
    if it's all in his head or if it's real, or what?!?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl View Post
    Was it "The Best Man," CCL? I saw that mini, and he was shockingly un-Jeff-like! Speaking of Richard Coyle, I was excited at the prospect of seeing him regularly on my TV screen again when I heard he was in a pilot for a new (American) TV show called "Ultra"--a superhero series in which he plays the intriguingly named villain "Cryptic Man." Alas, it hasn't been picked up by any networks for the fall (it had been rumored to go to CBS, but it never showed up on their schedule). I'm trying to hold out hope that it could be a mid-season replacement, but it's starting to look like the project's being killed.
    I can't recall the name of the show, Snowflake. Too bad they didn't pick up Ultra - sounds like it could have been a good one. Maybe it if it had been called CSI: Ultra CBS would have optioned it.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Sad but true. How many CSI bloody shows do they need, I've lost track of them all. I'd still love to take a peek at that pilot if it's ever available. Would love to see how Richard Coyle would have played someone named "Cryptic Man."
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
    I just got the first episode on my cable's On Demand program (I don't get BBC America, but I get some of the stuff this way). Oh my freaking gosh this was an awesome show. I was glued to the set.
    You're also watching "Life on Mars"!!! I'd love to discuss it with others, although, unlike Hep, I'll be running screaming away from spoilers.

On BBC America's Underground, I've also been watching "Peep Show" (which follows "Spaced") and "Black Books". I also caught just a bit of "Worst Week of My LIfe" which they showed in a sort of marathon. It looked so funny, but I already missed the first half of the series, and I hate to watch things out of order. I wish they'd rerun this so I can watch it in its entirety!
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl View Post
    On BBC America's Underground, I've also been watching "Peep Show" (which follows "Spaced") and "Black Books".
    "Spaced" & "Black Books" are two of my favorites, and I tend to link them together through "Shaun of the Dead". In fact, a few years back I went to see Bill Bailey (Manny on "Black Books") do kind of performancy/stand-up thing in NYC. The guy is a riot, so if you ever get the chance to see him live, take it. Unlike the character on "Black Books", his stage show is fairly cerebral, kind of like a smarter Eddie Izzard, with a focus on music (he had some instruments) and, of course, sans the women's clothing.

I really REALLY want to see "Life on Mars", but I don't currently have the BBC America in my house. I'm glad to hear it is a good as it looks; I'll see it one day, even if it is via Netflix.

Ah, I am big fan of Eddie Izzard, PG, so now I'm interested in seeing what Bill Bailey's stage performance is like. Thanks for the tip. I wonder if they have any of that available on DVD?

Speaking of DVDs, from Netflix, I am renting "Bottom." I've been a big fan of Rik Mayall and Ade Edmonson for a long time (since "Young Ones," "Comic Strip Presents," and "Dangerous Brothers"), and have only now just gotten the opportunity to see this series of theirs from over a decade ago. It's funny though some of it is quite foul (which shouldn't surprise anyone familiar with their other work though ).

HEPCAT the answer to your question about Life on Mars is nobody knows! I love this show. There is a new series being made, although there is a partial resolution of sorts by the last episode of the first series.
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

OK I just caught Little Britain - last week and this week. I nearly died laughing!! It's just so brilliantly wrong!!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread