+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Blind Justice on ABC

Oh, that's right, CharlieBug! Thanks for filling in the blanks that getting older has left in my memory! I can't believe I forgot the whole "street" incident . . . I felt so bad for him, and also so confused as to why Hank didn't come immediately when he called for him.
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

First, I like this show. And I realize that there must be a suspension of disbelief in order to get caught up in the story and the characters, and it's working for me --- for the most part.

But I was reading something the other day about the difference between "seeing" and "perceiving" when it suddenly struck me: In the pilot episode, Dunbar was shown getting grazed by a bullet to the temple -- the implication being that this caused his blindness, as he now has a scar on the spot where the bullet passed.

So here's the deal: Dunbar's eyes were not damaged during the shoot-out, as we get regular close-ups of his otherwise perfect eyes.

In order to see, light rays pass through our pupils, striking the retina. This signal is transmitted through the optic nerves which cross over behind the eyeballs in the skull, connecting to the opposite hemispheres of the brain (i.e., signals from left eye are processed by the right hemisphere of the brain, signals from the right eye are processed by the left hemisphere). These signals are processed by the occipital lobe, which is at the back of the brain.

Since Dunbar's eyes are undamaged, the implication is that his occipital lobe must have been mostly destroyed during the shoot-out, rendering it incapable of processing the signals from the eyes. Yet he can make out blobs/shapes of light.

Oh well ... it still makes for an interesting show.

Thanks for the info, chrelsey, Charliebug, and getreal! You're all awesome!

That explanation of how Dunbar was or may have been blinded helps some of the perception stuff on the show make more sense to me.

Now that I'm all caught up, I can go and watch the rest of my tape! I just don't like seeing things out of sequence, kind of a pet peeve of mine.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I'm a hopeless romantic, so I'm loving how Jim is finally trying to make some positive changes with Christy. *sigh* The flowers he brought home to her were so pretty, and telling her he's not the same man..... very cool. Hope their relationship continues to improve.

Whereas the jerk detective keeps getting more and more rude. Sorry, can't think of his name. The one who uses dandruff shampoo. Leaving desk drawers out on purpose for Jim to get hurt is just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBug
    Whereas the jerk detective keeps getting more and more rude. Sorry, can't think of his name. The one who uses dandruff shampoo. Leaving desk drawers out on purpose for Jim to get hurt is just wrong.
    Frank Grillo plays Detective Marty Russo.

I'm going out on a limb and making a prediction about a future episode (pure speculation on my part). Since Dunbar confronted Russo about moving the furniture around, and said that if Russo ever needed help that Dunbar would be there for him, I'm expecting this to be a hint of what's to come. Russo will find himself in a pickle and Dunbar will risk his own life and save him.

And Hank (the seeing eye dog) will have an affair with Paris Hilton's chihuahua. Ouch! Think Fred Flintstone and Wilma.

Either one or both of these storyline ideas will come to pass. You read it here first!

Getreal! You so crazy!

I have a feeling you might be right, my psychic friend. I'm sure after a few episodes, Dunbar will begrudgingly win the respect of Russo and the rest of the precinct. Sure they're telegraphing a bit, but I still enjoy the show even if sometimes it's a wee bit obvious. Or hey, they could prove me totally wrong and go with the Tinkerbell/Hank scenario. Bow-chikka-bowwowwow!

Again, I must echo the sentiments of CharlieBug...I too am rooting that the Dunbars can repair their troubled relationship, though Rena still looked skeptical (Gah! Who kisses with their eyes open like that?!). I do understand that even in television, regaining trust after infidelity is not an immediate thing.

And yes, those flowers were gorgeous! Kudos to the art director on this show, I've noticed nice floral arrangments on a couple of occasions (How lame am I? Hey, I love flowers, what I can say?)
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    And yes, those flowers were gorgeous! Kudos to the art director on this show, I've noticed nice floral arrangments on a couple of occasions (How lame am I? Hey, I love flowers, what I can say?)
    For me, it's because "the ultimate bouquet" is always perceived as a dozen red roses by most folks. That gets boring after a while. So when I see a more unique flower arrangement, I melt. If a man brings his woman something other than one dozen red roses, he has imagination, creativity, and a sense of what a woman really wants. That's why I liked Jim's bouquet that he brought home to Christy. Weird reasoning, but there it is.

I'm loving this show! I was so hoping Jim would punch Marty in the mouth last week! I hate how cocky he is toward Jim, shows how insecure he really is. I really want him and Christy to work things out.

I have finally had a chance to watch episodes 1, 2 and 3. Great show! I'm really liking the emotional draw, the good photography and the pretty darned good 'mystery-of-the-week.' It was really interesting to hear my son talk about it. He's 16 and never really watched many cop shows, but I thought this would be a good one for him, with the blind element. After watching the first and second, he sat very still and finally said, 'Why is this show so SAD?' He was really upset at the treatment of the character because of his blindness. And unhappy at the dog and son being killed. It was one of those "gosh, maybe I'm doing something right with my kid" moments!
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

I'm glad you and your family can enjoy this show together, wadahoot. It's good to know this show can enlighten the public about the prejudices some people still face in society.

This last episode made me so mad though! Jim's ex-partner was such a WEASEL!!! I couldn't believe the gall of this guy at all.

Anyway, here's some info about the next few episodes:

Blind Justice-Marlon's Brando

Starring Ron Eldard, Marisol Nichols, Rena Sofer, Reno Wilson, Frank Grillo.

When someone rapes two women and carves the letter ``Z'' on their faces, Dunbar suspects a prison inmate. 60 minutes- (CC), (DVS), SS, N, In Stereo

Tue Apr 5 10:00P on ABC Network

Blind Justice-Seoul Man

Dunbar tries to redeem himself after he lets a man who murdered a Korean grocer escape. 60 minutes- (CC), (DVS), SS, N, In Stereo

Tue Apr 12 10:00P on ABC Network

Blind Justice-Leap of Faith

A man falls to his death from a 12th floor window, and Dunbar suspects murder when he learns that the victim was sexually molested as a child. 60 minutes- (CC), (DVS), SS, N, In Stereo

Tue Apr 19 10:00P on ABC Network

Blind Justice-Past Imperfect

Dunbar and Bettancourt make a mother give her child to the father in a bitter custody dispute; Dunbar tells Bettancourt's new boyfriend to leave or have his arrest record revealed to her. 60 minutes- (CC), (DVS), SS, N, In Stereo

Tue Apr 26 10:00P on ABC Network

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast