+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Blind Justice on ABC

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBug
    KC, I was just coming here to post that! My husband and I were discussing it, and he said he was under the impression that Jim had an affair instead. I didn't catch that at all. I guess I just want to believe him to be perfect!
    Yes, he had an affair. I taped the show so I watched that scene again to be sure. His partner mentions some friend of hers and mentions that she wondered why it took him so long to tell her he was married. He said he was going through a bad time. That's probably also why at the end of the show she accused him of trying to make a move on her when he asked what color her eyes were. I think they threw this in because the character was coming off as "too perfect" and considering Steven Bochco's Andy Sipowitz (?sp) that isn't what the producers wanted.

I also got the impression that his wife might know - or suspect - she really expressed the need to know that he needs her. Granted, there is the blindness thing, but there might be more layers to questioning the relationship.
    "Nothing intoxicates some people like a sip of authority."

I liked the show, too. Mostly because it was not as over the top as some of the other popular shows (CSI's...). I will have to make my mom to watch Blind Justice next week (she is a detective sergeant), and say her judgement. She is very picky about these police shows; what is even remotely realistic and what is not.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Thanks for clarifying that bit for me, skynet & KC...I did the exact same thing CharlieBug did; I didn't want to believe he might have had an affair! I guess this is part Eldard's character being human.
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I particularly liked the cinematography.
    Yeah, I was surprised how polished-looking the cinematography turned out--especially for a crime procedural, I got used to the gritty, faux-cinèma verité that has become a cop show cliché. And I liked the cutaways to his P.O.V., they were odd, absurdist, but beautiful, like something Magritte would paint if he was from Queens.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan
    I will have to make my mom to watch Blind Justice next week (she is a detective sergeant), and say her judgement. She is very picky about these police shows; what is even remotely realistic and what is not.
    I guess we posted at the same time, just wanted to add I would love to hear what your mom thinks. I am curious to hear what someone whose really in police work would think about the concept. Is it just too far-fetched? The main premise of the show really requires a huge leap of faith, that's for sure.

I read a good article about the response from the blind community, which was overall pretty positive (it's one of the first shows to be aired with visual description or something like that), except one guy said he wouldn't know the length of someone's hair by hearing it brush against their shoulders because blind people aren't focused on "weird" stuff like that!
    Last edited by SnowflakeGirl; 03-09-2005 at 06:40 PM.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Small victories in 'Justice'

Here's the article I mentioned.

Blind applaud show's realistic depictions, reject exaggerations

By VIKKI ORTIZ

Posted: March 8, 2005

Minutes before ABC's new TV show "Blind Justice" appeared on the large screen in front of her, Becky Williams of Milwaukee skeptically listened for the program's opening lines.

Members of the Badger Association of the Blind and Visually Impaired attend a screening of the pilot episode of ABC’s "Blind Justice" this month at the center, 912 N. Hawley Road. Members were expecting another stereotypical blind character but instead were pleasantly surprised.

The last thing Williams, 54 - or the other members gathered for a screening of the show's pilot at the Badger Association of the Blind and Visually Impaired on N. Hawley Road - wanted to hear was another Hollywood-conceived blind character who could smell rain or hear babies crying from a mile away.

As the show continued, though, Williams and her peers grew hopeful. They laughed at the program's lighter moments and nodded their heads as characters reacted to blindness. And Williams, who has been blind all her life, even felt herself tear up during a scene.

"I expected it to be quite ridiculous," she said. "I was pleasantly surprised."

For many viewers across the country, Tuesday night's premiere of the new show "Blind Justice" was just one more option in the Tuesday night TV lineup, a convenient replacement for "NYPD Blue," which ended its 12-year run last week. But for the blind and visually impaired, creator Steven Bochco's new program carried a heavier significance. Many are convinced "Blind Justice" has the ability to either perpetuate stereotypes or use its pervasiveness to open viewers' minds.

It's a responsibility Bochco acknowledges about the program, which is the first ABC scripted TV show to offer visual description. The feature, available as Secondary Audio Programming on most newer TV sets, provides narration of the non-speaking parts. Bochco said he also tried to keep the show realistic by enlisting the help of consultant Lynn Manning, a man blinded by a gunshot wound 20 years ago.

"I think blind people may really feel good about this show in the way it portrays their lives and aspects of their lives," Bochco said in a telephone interview.

Still, after decades of painfully stereotyped TV and film portrayals of blind people crashing into walls or talking to coat racks, local and national members of the blind and visually impaired community said they plan to monitor "Blind Justice" closely.

"They never get it correctly," said Cory Ballard, a 26-year-old Milwaukee resident who has been blind for half his life. Sitting with his guide dog, Gunner, under his chair at the Badger Association, Ballard said that even if he did have a more developed sense of hearing than sighted people, he would never notice that a person had long hair by hearing it brush against her shoulder, as the main character on "Blind Justice" did.

"We're not concentrating on weird things like that," he said.

On the show, actor Ron Eldard plays Detective Jim Dunbar, who is injured in the line of duty and loses his eyesight. Instead of taking his pension and retiring from the police department, the character sues the city and wins the right to remain a working detective - complete with a loaded gun.

Bochco, the creator of "NYPD Blue" and co-creator of "Hill Street Blues" and "L.A. Law," said he got the idea for the new program after seeing a performance by the Blind Boys of Alabama at a Hollywood function. Choir members led each other onto the stage in a single-file line, with each performer putting one hand on the shoulder of the man in front.

"I was so moved by the way they came out and the way in which they supported each other. It seemed simultaneously so vulnerable, but also so trusting," Bochco said. He used the inspiration to create a show about a man at the top of his game who is forced to become similarly vulnerable through injury.

Bochco resists the notion that "Blind Justice" should proselytize or be held up as representative of the blind experience. But he said he's delighted that the blind community has taken an interest in the program and is committed to keeping the program's main character believable.

"We don't pity him. We expose him in all his vulnerability. . .to things blind people get exposed to, which is misunderstanding and sympathy from other people," Bochco said. "That's part of the reality."

Television critics have had mixed reviews, some praising "Blind Justice" for acknowledging its improbable premise and making the skeptics part of the show, others criticizing it for being predictable.

Dozens of other programs and films have included blind characters, ranging from Mary Ingalls on "Little House on the Prairie" to Ben Affleck's "Daredevil" in 2003. Those who monitor such appearances argue that while use of blind characters in films isn't new, it is still rare when they are portrayed in a positive light, or just as everyday people who can read, work and maintain normal relationships.

In the early 1990s, the National Federation of the Blind picketed outside ABC offices across the country over a show called "Good and Evil." On the program, a blind character named George crashed into objects for slapstick laughs. A few years later, the federation voiced concern over Disney's 1997 film version of "Mr. Magoo," in which Leslie Nielsen starred as the thick-spectacled character who has long been considered offensive to the blind and visually impaired.

"The idea, I think still, is that having a disability is tragic," said Lennard Davis, a professor of English and disability studies at the University of Illinois at Chicago. "Hollywood either wants to pity them, cure them or kill them."

At the Badger Association in Milwaukee, a non-profit group that promotes and teaches independence for people who are blind and visually impaired, members said they hoped "Blind Justice" will be different.

Although several who attended a screening of the show's pilot took issue with the fact that Dunbar carried a gun - which they said would likely never happen - they considered other details in the show small victories. For example, they said, Dunbar used proper commands for his guide dog. He taught his partner to lead him with her arm. And they showed a main character regularly dealing with people's misunderstandings about blindness.

"They did a pretty good job," Williams said. "I'm kind of excited that they're trying."

http://www.jsonline.com/enter/tvradio/mar05/307935.asp
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    I enjoyed the show and was able to connect with Jimmy; the talking clock, "sighted guide" (When walking with a visually impaired person, let him/her take your arm. This way the person can be guided rather than pushed or pulled from place to place), memorizing rooms, etc. One thing I didn't understand was why he didn't use his dog or a cane when he *first* started memorizing the grid (room). I mean, I'd rather my cane run into something before my face/head.

It'll be interesting to see how the show progresses.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Is there anyone who watched last night's episode who could tell me what happens at the beginning? I set my VCR for Blind Justice, but I checked the tape and for some reason the first 15 or so minutes were not recorded. I haven't had time to watch it yet, but am bugged that I won't get to see the opening. I was hoping somebody might have seen it and could just fill me on on what I missed. Thanks.

Oh darnit, I knew I was missing a show! I'm sorry I missed it, Snowy.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Is there anyone who watched last night's episode who could tell me what happens at the beginning? I set my VCR for Blind Justice, but I checked the tape and for some reason the first 15 or so minutes were not recorded. I haven't had time to watch it yet, but am bugged that I won't get to see the opening. I was hoping somebody might have seen it and could just fill me on on what I missed. Thanks.
    My memory isn't as good as it used to be, and I've slept since last night's epi . . .but here's what I remember.

A boy is reported missing, and Dunbar and his partner, Bettancourt, go out to investigate, along with the others. Supposedly the boy was walking to his friend's house to spend the night, but never made it there. They talk to the mother and the little brother of the missing boy for a while. Dunbar and the little brother are talking about dogs (because of the little boys interest in Hank), and the little boy tells Dunbar that they used to have a dog, but he ran away. They finish talking to the family inside, so Dunbar and Bettancourt go out into the backyard to have a look around. He stops and listens for a minute, and then he asks Bettancourt if are there any flies buzzing around, "the small ones" he calls them. She says yes, over in the corner. He goes over and asks the mother if anything was ever buried there. She says no. He bends down and picks up the dirt and smells it . . . and I guess he smells death - or something. We get to see his "vision" of what is in the ground, and what he sees is a boy buried there. He has his partner call it in as a crime scene, and gets the CSI people out there to start digging. Sure enough, they find a trashbag with something dead in it, but when they open it, it's a dead dog. Russo, the guy on the squad that is always giving Dunbar a really hard time, continues to do so here, saying that the hours they spent digging up a dead dog would have been better spent out looking for the boy.

The father comes out into the backyard and Dunbar questions him as to why the mother would say that nothing had been buried there when obviously the family dog had been. He said that the dog had been hit by a car, and he had buried it without telling her about it so that the kids wouldn't be upset. It was easier to tell them it had run away than to tell them the dog had died.

Oh, something else that might have happened before all of this - or after - was that the Lieutenant called Dunbar into his office and said that he hadn't gone to his required psych appointment, and ordered him to do it.

I'm not sure if that's all you missed or not, since I'm not sure where you picked it up. Did you see he and his wife at the dinner party? That might have been later on, though. Did you see when they actually did find the body of the boy?

Anyway, I'm really liking this show . . . sure do hope it makes it!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

Good job, chrelsey! That about covers it. The only other thing was in the very beginning - Christy was telling Jim about her boss' dinner party that they were invited to. Jim was real hesitant about going and asked if it was a work/office party or a party for friends. Christy said it was for friends, and for him not to worry - that she'll go alone. He paused and then said "What time?" You could tell that Christy was so happy that he was making an effort to go.
    Then when Jim and Hank were walking to work, they were crossing the street when someone on a bike bumped into him, making him fall to the ground. He stumbled trying to get up and kept calling out for Hank. Some random guy tried to help him cross the street after he nearly got hit by a car, but Jim was too proud for his help and pushed him away. Hank came back to him and helped him get across the street.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast