+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 48 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston Legal

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Boston Legal

I've searched for a thread on this show & haven't found any. If there is one that I missed, maybe a Mod can merge.

Anyway, did anyone catch this Sunday night? I was never a huge fan of The Practice because I thought it was too melodramatic, but I thought this may be entertaining. It had potential: James Spader is always evil-ish cool, William Shatner is so cheesy he can be entertaining, and I thought Keen Eddie was fun, so that guy should have been o.k. too. Ultimately, though, I concluded it was a rip-off of Ally McBeal.

Anybody think differently? Would have it seemed better had I actually watched the last season of the Practice?

Bopping to my own beat! realityluver's Avatar
    I missed the first episode, but I do plan to watch this series.
    Phenomenal woman... that's me!!!

I missed it...Phone Grrrl, is it being played like a comedy, like Ally McBeal, or a drama, like The Practice was?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    I missed it...Phone Grrrl, is it being played like a comedy, like Ally McBeal, or a drama, like The Practice was?
    I'd say it's more like a comedy like early Ally McBeal. Kind of that surrealist comedy. No dancing babies, which was good. But there are tons of scenes in a bar, apparently adjacent to or actually in the office, much like Ally McBeal. Also, it tended toward the ludicrous...getting the case & a court date in the very same morning and having Al Sharpton show up out of the blue to argue on behalf of the firm's client in that case.

OMG! Was that what it was? I was flipping channels and happened to catch the Reverend pontificating in a courtroom. I didn't realize what show it was.

I guess David E. Kelley is running out of ideas.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    I was looking forward to it too - I liked what James Spader did in the Practice last year. But I, too, am afraid it's an Ally McBigdeal rip-off - and I didn't like that show from the get-go. Except it became acceptable to wear short skirts to work - that part was fun.

I may give it one more chance, but I'm betting I"ll end up finding something else to fill that time slot.

I watched Desperate Housewives, which is on right before Boston Legal so I left the TV on for a little while to see if I had any interest in it. I ended up turning it off and going to bed! It just didn't interest me enough to want to sit through the whole show. I like some of the actors on the show so I thought I would like it, but it was just meh. I may half-heartedly try to watch it again to see if it improves, but it definitely is not on the "must see" list for me.

Premium Member
    I was hoping at least the first episode would be reminiscent of last season on The Practice, but it felt completely like a new show, and I'm not so sure that was a good thing. I mean, did William Shatner say the catch phrase 'Denny Craine!' even one time?? I guess they were just trying to introduce us to all of the new characters at once, so there were no real interactions going on to draw you into the first episode.

Hopefully it will settle down as the season progresses - last season was just too good!

PhoneGrrrl... I was with you. It completely reminded me of Ally McBeal, just with the sheer wackiness.

I didn't watch the last season of The Practice because James Spader was just too out there for me. That being said, however, I was actually a bit amused by this opening show. It needs more substance, but I liked how blatant the characters are with each other.

If I continue to like Desperate Housewives, I'll continue to watch Boston Legal. For now.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I liked this show. Because I did watch The Practice last year and saw the episodes that featured this law firm, it was just what I expected it would be, though with some minor casting changes. Comparisons to Ally McBeal are inevitable - after all, it's a David E. Kelly creation - but I see little likeness to that show, specifically. I think it possesses similarities to many of his past shows: L.A. Law, Picket Fences, Chicago Hope, Boston Public, and of course, The Practice and Ally. Sensational storylines and quirky characters is his trademark. Kelly is one of the top television writers around. Yeah, his shows tend to get a little outrageous; though he purposely writes them that way to get people thinking and talking about important issues.

On the other hand, I do think Kelly suffers from creative burnout when his shows hit the five year mark, and when he spreads himself too thin with too many projects. Ally McBeal went downhill in its last two seasons, and The Practice was fading until it was saved by James Spader. Shatner and Sharon Stone helped the revival last year, too. All three deserved their Emmy wins. It's too early to tell at this point what type of Kelly show Boston Legal will be.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 48 1234567891011 ... LastLast