+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston Legal

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Maybe David E. Kelley needs to get some fresh co-writers to help differentiate this show. I really wanted to like it, as I usually like James Spader's work (I can nearly quote line-by-line the entirety of sex, lies & videotape). Glad you all validated my take on the level of wackiness. Sometimes I think my perspective is skewed from being in the law profession. (Well, it probably is, but not as bad as it might be!)

FORT Regular
    i watched all the reruns of the practice and ally mcbeal and was looking forward to boston legal.

that said, i loved it. it's a happy medium between the wackiness of ally mcbeal and the serious drama of the practice. it's actually pretty funny and am looking forward to many more seasons.

I watched it and It was a little boring. I was hoping that Hannah (Rebecca DeMornay[sp?]) would be there from The Practice. I loved to hate her. LOL I love William Shatner though!! Also, James Spader is funny.

Pssssssttttttt...... Denny Crane!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl
    No dancing babies, which was good. But there are tons of scenes in a bar, apparently adjacent to or actually in the office, much like Ally McBeal.
    I hated the practice with all the melodrama. I couldn't stand any of the characters, especially Bobby, Rebecca or the Camryn Menheim character. I caught the show, now and then, 'cause it was set in Boston and I was living out of state and I liked to check out the scenery and think of home. For me The Practice became decent only in the last year, after they got rid of most of the original cast and brought in James Spader.

I watched Boston Legal the other night and I enjoyed it a lot 'cause I think James Spader is wonderfully impish and naughty! (Did anyone ever catch him on Seinfeld, playing a recovering alcoholic who wouldn't let George borrow his sweater 'cause he said George's head and neck were too fat? He made a riotous comment about not even trusting George with a V-neck! Anyway, he was younger and thinner but just as witty.)

I work in downtown Boston and I can verify that quite a few of the big buildings that house law firms have restaurants with bars in them, down on the first floor lobby level.

Also, there are just tons of bars within walking distance of these big office buildings.

And I can also vouch for the fact that a lot of people scamper out of their offices and head straight for these places after hours. I don't, I scamper home so I can then scamper back here to the FORT, but a lot of people there do stick around the bars after work.
    Last edited by Pomeraniac; 10-06-2004 at 03:30 AM.

I liked the craziness of the first episode. I don't know if I will watch every week, but I won't write it off as a pitstop on Sunday night viewing.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac
    I hated the practice with all the melodrama. I couldn't stand any of the characters, especially Bobby, Rebecca or the Camryn Menheim character.
    That's funny, I used to wonder why I watched The Practice at all, because I friggin' HATED all the characters. I still shudder everytime I see Camryn Manheim's picture anywhere.

I've always loved James Spader but I'm very leery of his character going over-the-top, which is where he was headed last season. And as snotty as this sounds, I think he's far too good an actor for network TV.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Ok, so I'm in the minority. I never watched 'The Practice', nor 'Ally McBeal'.....and I loved this show. I'm just kind of a fan of intellectual, irreverant, sarcastic humor. But it MUST be intellectual! Kiss of doom if I like it.

But, then again, I also liked Brotherhood of Poland, New Hampshire! And do you see it now??? Have you even ever seen it???? Most people didn't!!!!

"...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by mozzz
    I was hoping at least the first episode would be reminiscent of last season on The Practice, but it felt completely like a new show, and I'm not so sure that was a good thing. I mean, did William Shatner say the catch phrase 'Denny Craine!' even one time?? I guess they were just trying to introduce us to all of the new characters at once, so there were no real interactions going on to draw you into the first episode.

Hopefully it will settle down as the season progresses - last season was just too good!
    Yes, he did say "Denny Craine". He said it like 3 times in the beginning of the show when he was holding the confrence (sp?) with the other lawyers.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

I was actually very impressed. I wasn't sure it was going to be very good 'cause I'm not a huge Spader fan but I actually really liked it. I when Spader started singing along with the black "Annie" in the court room. You could see his lips mouthing the words while she was singing. I'm like "Okay. A macho guy like him knows the words to a showtune??
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

i haven't watched it yet, but have it taped and plan on giving it a shot. i love james spader so i figure i'll love this show.

+ Reply to Thread