+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 63 FirstFirst ... 343536373839404142434445464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Law and Order

CCL

Re: Law and Order

Quote Originally Posted by BritLit;4090195;

I've been watching the British version on BBCAmerica (Friday nights at nine), "Law and Order UK". It's great--very much in keeping with the classic L&O. And they make a big deal of it "being the only American television show ever adapted for British TV." I think they've done two seasons so far.
    The Law and Order UK episodes are based directly on episodes aired during the early seasons of Law and Order. That means I always know what is going to happen, which I don't mind at all - actually, I find it really interesting to see how the same storyline plays out in a different context/setting.

LOLA is okay though I mostly find myself looking at the real estate (ooh, what a pretty house on the ocean...for a murderer to live in. Ooh, to live in the Hollywood Hills!) which I never found to be the case whenever I watched the New York show.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by BritLit;4090195;
    I've been watching the British version on BBCAmerica (Friday nights at nine), "Law and Order UK". It's great--very much in keeping with the classic L&O. And they make a big deal of it "being the only American television show ever adapted for British TV."
    Really? I'm not sure who's making the big deal since a number of American shows have been remade over there - The Golden Girls (Brighton Belles), Mad About You (Loved by You), Maude (Nobody's Perfect), That 70's Show (Days Like These), to name just a few.

I've watched the first season and a few episodes of the second season of the UK version, and I don't care for it at all. I do enjoy some British mysteries/cop shows, but there is something unrelentingly dreary and dull about this particular one.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4090198;
    I'm still a devoted follower of everything L & O.
    I agree, though, that moving it to LA is just not the same.
    NYC was a part of L & O. It acted as that silent other character - the underbelly of NY so well captured in all the outside scenes.
    I realize they're trying to bring new life into it, but having LA now serve as the "silent other character" just seems wrong.
    I also think the stories on the regular L & O were the best of all the franchise. They just had a way of ripping the latest headlines from the news and making them exciting. I'm hoping the writing on the new LOLA improves.
    I watched one epi and I find I'm not willing to watch much more. I love the reruns on TNT and watch them daily. There are enough of them to keep me happy with L&O until I shuffle off this mortal coil.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I agree that LOLA wasn't well casted. There doesn't seem to be much rapport between the characters, but I've always had a soft spot for Skeet Ulrich and I just want something of his to succeed!!

I totally agree with you, Canadian Angel.
    I love Skeet Ulrich.
    The show has already been renewed for more episodes and seems to be doing well in the ratings.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4090198;
    I'm still a devoted follower of everything L & O.
    I agree, though, that moving it to LA is just not the same.
    NYC was a part of L & O. It acted as that silent other character - the underbelly of NY so well captured in all the outside scenes.
    I realize they're trying to bring new life into it, but having LA now serve as the "silent other character" just seems wrong.
    I also think the stories on the regular L & O were the best of all the franchise. They just had a way of ripping the latest headlines from the news and making them exciting. I'm hoping the writing on the new LOLA improves.
    noreality--you hit the nail on the head, perfect analysis. there is just something different and off about LOLA and now youve officially given me the closure I needed to stop trying to figure out what it is..thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;4091719;
    noreality--you hit the nail on the head, perfect analysis. there is just something different and off about LOLA and now youve officially given me the closure I needed to stop trying to figure out what it is..thank you!
    You're welcome!!
    And, since I've lived on both coasts, I really notice the difference.
    I'll still watch because I love the basic premise / genre, but, so far, it's lacking in that key element.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;4090487;
    I agree that LOLA wasn't well casted. There doesn't seem to be much rapport between the characters, but I've always had a soft spot for Skeet Ulrich and I just want something of his to succeed!!
    I agree--he's such a good and appealing actor, you'd think there'd be a good show he could be in. Even when he's in something that is a cult hit (peanuts, anyone?) it gets cancelled. I've watched this a couple of times, for him basically, but the show itself doesn't seem up to either the original or SVU. Way better than Miami though!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4098892;
    Way better than Miami though!
    That doesn't take much!

Anyone see the preview for next week? Sprague Grayden is guest starring. She's the one who played Heather (the teacher) who had a will they/won't they thing with Skeet's character. Looks like Skeet's making sure his Jericho buddies are taken care of.

I thought this week's episode was well written and quite good.

I think I also like the interplay / rapport between Alfred Molina and Regina King.
    He comes across like the older, wiser, "been there, done that" character to Regina's younger, not yet hardened attorney.
    Though Terrence Howard has long been an actor i really love, I'm just not liking him in this show.
    And, I do like the bald detective a lot (can't remember his name.)
    I've long been a Skeet Ulrich fan and, while I'm not sure he was that well cast in the role, I'm certainly not willing to give up on him.
    He could park his holster next to my shoes any time......

+ Reply to Thread