+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 63 FirstFirst ... 343536373839404142434445464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 628
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Law and Order

  1. #431
    CCL
    CCL is offline
    Climbing Solsbury Hill CCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    8,553

    Re: Law and Order

    Quote Originally Posted by BritLit;4090195;

    I've been watching the British version on BBCAmerica (Friday nights at nine), "Law and Order UK". It's great--very much in keeping with the classic L&O. And they make a big deal of it "being the only American television show ever adapted for British TV." I think they've done two seasons so far.
    The Law and Order UK episodes are based directly on episodes aired during the early seasons of Law and Order. That means I always know what is going to happen, which I don't mind at all - actually, I find it really interesting to see how the same storyline plays out in a different context/setting.


    LOLA is okay though I mostly find myself looking at the real estate (ooh, what a pretty house on the ocean...for a murderer to live in. Ooh, to live in the Hollywood Hills!) which I never found to be the case whenever I watched the New York show.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

  2. #432
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,911

    Re: Law and Order

    Quote Originally Posted by BritLit;4090195;
    I've been watching the British version on BBCAmerica (Friday nights at nine), "Law and Order UK". It's great--very much in keeping with the classic L&O. And they make a big deal of it "being the only American television show ever adapted for British TV."
    Really? I'm not sure who's making the big deal since a number of American shows have been remade over there - The Golden Girls (Brighton Belles), Mad About You (Loved by You), Maude (Nobody's Perfect), That 70's Show (Days Like These), to name just a few.

    I've watched the first season and a few episodes of the second season of the UK version, and I don't care for it at all. I do enjoy some British mysteries/cop shows, but there is something unrelentingly dreary and dull about this particular one.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

  3. #433
    Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the blue TV screen light
    Posts
    2,700

    Re: Law and Order

    Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4090198;
    I'm still a devoted follower of everything L & O.
    I agree, though, that moving it to LA is just not the same.
    NYC was a part of L & O. It acted as that silent other character - the underbelly of NY so well captured in all the outside scenes.
    I realize they're trying to bring new life into it, but having LA now serve as the "silent other character" just seems wrong.
    I also think the stories on the regular L & O were the best of all the franchise. They just had a way of ripping the latest headlines from the news and making them exciting. I'm hoping the writing on the new LOLA improves.
    I watched one epi and I find I'm not willing to watch much more. I love the reruns on TNT and watch them daily. There are enough of them to keep me happy with L&O until I shuffle off this mortal coil.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

  4. #434
    FORT Fogey canadian_angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    the province with the really long name
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,711

    Re: Law and Order

    I agree that LOLA wasn't well casted. There doesn't seem to be much rapport between the characters, but I've always had a soft spot for Skeet Ulrich and I just want something of his to succeed!!

  5. #435
    FORT Fogey norealityhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,139

    Re: Law and Order

    I totally agree with you, Canadian Angel.
    I love Skeet Ulrich.
    The show has already been renewed for more episodes and seems to be doing well in the ratings.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

  6. #436
    FORT Fogey mindy384's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,865

    Re: Law and Order

    Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4090198;
    I'm still a devoted follower of everything L & O.
    I agree, though, that moving it to LA is just not the same.
    NYC was a part of L & O. It acted as that silent other character - the underbelly of NY so well captured in all the outside scenes.
    I realize they're trying to bring new life into it, but having LA now serve as the "silent other character" just seems wrong.
    I also think the stories on the regular L & O were the best of all the franchise. They just had a way of ripping the latest headlines from the news and making them exciting. I'm hoping the writing on the new LOLA improves.
    noreality--you hit the nail on the head, perfect analysis. there is just something different and off about LOLA and now youve officially given me the closure I needed to stop trying to figure out what it is..thank you!

  7. #437
    FORT Fogey norealityhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,139

    Re: Law and Order

    Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;4091719;
    noreality--you hit the nail on the head, perfect analysis. there is just something different and off about LOLA and now youve officially given me the closure I needed to stop trying to figure out what it is..thank you!
    You're welcome!!
    And, since I've lived on both coasts, I really notice the difference.
    I'll still watch because I love the basic premise / genre, but, so far, it's lacking in that key element.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

  8. #438
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,129

    Re: Law and Order

    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;4090487;
    I agree that LOLA wasn't well casted. There doesn't seem to be much rapport between the characters, but I've always had a soft spot for Skeet Ulrich and I just want something of his to succeed!!
    I agree--he's such a good and appealing actor, you'd think there'd be a good show he could be in. Even when he's in something that is a cult hit (peanuts, anyone?) it gets cancelled. I've watched this a couple of times, for him basically, but the show itself doesn't seem up to either the original or SVU. Way better than Miami though!

  9. #439
    FORT Fogey canadian_angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    the province with the really long name
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,711

    Re: Law and Order

    Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4098892;
    Way better than Miami though!
    That doesn't take much!

    Anyone see the preview for next week? Sprague Grayden is guest starring. She's the one who played Heather (the teacher) who had a will they/won't they thing with Skeet's character. Looks like Skeet's making sure his Jericho buddies are taken care of.

  10. #440
    FORT Fogey norealityhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,139

    Re: Law and Order

    I thought this week's episode was well written and quite good.

    I think I also like the interplay / rapport between Alfred Molina and Regina King.
    He comes across like the older, wiser, "been there, done that" character to Regina's younger, not yet hardened attorney.
    Though Terrence Howard has long been an actor i really love, I'm just not liking him in this show.
    And, I do like the bald detective a lot (can't remember his name.)
    I've long been a Skeet Ulrich fan and, while I'm not sure he was that well cast in the role, I'm certainly not willing to give up on him.
    He could park his holster next to my shoes any time......
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.