+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 63 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Law and Order

Law and Order cancellation rumors?

Say it ain't so!

'Law & Order' in Trouble as Actress Quits
    Wednesday, April 26, 2006
    By Roger Friedman

Things are pretty dicey over at "Law & Order," NBC's 16-year-old police series.

For one thing, the actress who plays the assistant district attorney just quit. For another, insiders from the show are "convinced" that their beloved employment is about to be terminated.

"They're either getting cancelled or getting a one-year renewal," a source said.

One of the many reasons is lower ratings, thanks to being up against ABC's powerhouse "Lost" on Wednesdays in the 9 p.m. timeslot. In recent weeks, NBC finally moved "Law & Order" out of harm's way, to 10 p.m., but it may too little, too late.

There are, of course, three "Law & Order" shows: the mothership (as it is known), "SVU" (or fondly, SUV) and "Criminal Intent." The latter are still doing well enough that their pick-up seems assured.

Nevertheless, there's been trouble at "Criminal Intent" this week. S. Epatha Mekerson, the Emmy-winning actress who appears on the main show, was written in and then written out of the final episode when she didn't like the way her character was being treated.

"Whoopi Goldberg is the guest star. She plays a con man. Epatha's character was supposed to be her old friend. But Epatha didn't like it that her character was clueless about how evil Whoopi's was," a source said.

To make matters even more complicated, sources tell me that Annie Parisse, the talented brunette who had been playing the assistant district attorney on the main show, has quit.

"She saw the writing on the wall," an insider said. "They never treated her very well. They were always complaining about her hair. And they also thought she looked too young next to Sam Waterson."

Parisse joins a long list of actresses who have played the assistant district attorney over 15 seasons, including Jill Hennessey, Angie Harmon, Carey Lowell and Elizabeth Rohm (who discovered her character was a lesbian in her final scene).

The problem now is that creator and executive producer Dick Wolf can't cast a replacement because no one knows if the show is coming back.

There's a significant morale problem, too. Sources say that there have been "a lot" of firings, including a portion of the camera crew.

"None of the original writer-producers are there anymore," a source said. "They've all been replaced by people from L.A. who don't get the show."

And then there's the issue of Jerry Orbach. Everyone I spoke to said the same thing in one way or another: Without the late beloved actor, "Law & Order" isn't the same. "And people don't like Dennis Farina" is the comment I got about the actor who was hired to succeed Orbach even before he died.

If "Law & Order" does get cancelled, or renewed just long enough to do a finale season, it won't be a tremendous surprise. Sixteen years, after all, is twice the length of the run of a regular hit show. Still, insiders blame the constant reruns on TNT for over-saturating the brand.

"Even they're cutting back now," a source said.

And then there were the problems with the show's lead-ins. All three forgettable shows are already gone, as well.

But that doesn't mean we won't be seeing the other two "Law & Order" shows in syndication for years to come.

"The 'CI' deal was too rich," a source said. "It will be on NBC for one or two more seasons definitely."

NBC declined comment except to say: "It is the producers' desire to keep the season finale of 'Law and Order' under wraps because of some surprising developments."
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,193098,00.html

CCL
    Hm. I do agree that the show is not the same without Jerry Orbach. But it is still pretty consistently good. It has been on a very long time, though.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I'll be heartbroken whenever this goes off the air, be it now, or sometime much much later. And I do like Dennis Farina, too!
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    I quit watching L&O (the mothership or whatever) regularly around the time Angie Harmon left, even though I had no great love of her character. I could not stand Elizabeth Rohm and Sam Waterson's character got to be too much. I'd then only watch the cop half, and once Jerry Orbach was gone, I just couldn't take it. I still watch SVU and CI (especially when it's a Det. Mike Logan episode). But, I honestly won't miss L&O because the best episodes are still on repeats so much.

The *mothership* is still the best of the bunch, IMO. However, Jerry Orbach is sorely missed. I've always liked Dennis Farina, mind you, but I don't know if it's that his character doesn't quite fit, or that the writing is getting stale. I think it was a mistake to go with two bad-boy type detectives - there's always been a balance between the two. Also, Farina & Martin really lack the chemistry that Orbach managed to generate with ALL his partners.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Aw, I hope it survives. Law & Order is among my favorite shows of the week. I've always enjoyed the casting, no matter how many changes they've gone through.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I was channel surfing awhile ago, and I saw a news blurb that said "Law & Order" had been renewed for another season. I hope that's true.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    I was channel surfing awhile ago, and I saw a news blurb that said "Law & Order" had been renewed for another season. I hope that's true.
    I read yesterday that all 3 of the Law & Orders (the main one, CI, SVU) were renewed for next year.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

giz
    I missed a few episodes of SVU. What's going on with Olivia and Stabler? She "needed a change"? That sounds wierd. I know she's pregnant, but what is the storyline explaining her absence? It almost seemed like there was an attraction there, or did I imagine that?

FORT Fogey
    I don't watch the mothership anymore, after Jerry Orbach's character retired, I just wasn't interested anymore. Plus, I think L&O in one form or another, being on every freakin' hour of the day is definitely oversaturation and it's killed my interest in the show.

That said, I've started watching CI on the weeks Chris Noth is on. I could never stand this show before because I don't like that other guy, he overacts and the show seems to become all about him. I loved Chris Noth when he was on the mothership and he definitely brings a complexity to his character that you don't see with a lot of the other L&O characters.

Anyway, I watched last night and wondered if it is continued next week? I hope so, otherwise I missed something... or a lot.

+ Reply to Thread