+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miss America Seeks to Reach More Viewers

Miss America Seeks to Reach More Viewers

More skin, less talent. Classy.

Sep 18, 4:07 PM EDT

By JOHN CURRAN
    Associated Press Writer

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) -- With skimpy bikinis, less emphasis on talent and a shorter show, the producers of Saturday's annual Miss America pageant telecast were hoping less would mean more - viewers, that is.

Fifty two women - including, for the first time ever, a contestant from the U.S. Virgin Islands - were set to compete for the crown in a two-hour show producers hoped could turn the tide on declining TV ratings.

Taking a page from reality TV, Miss America producers have spiced up the prime-time special by enlisting "The Bachelor" host Chris Harrison, crooner Clay Aiken and some new production touches.

The ABC telecast marks the 50th year since Sept. 11, 1954, when Lee Meriwether was crowned Miss America 1955 during the first televised pageant.

This year's pageant retained the same basic elements, but with plenty of updates, including the Miss America Quiz, an eight-question pop quiz on U.S. history, U.S. government and current events given to the five finalists.

The talent competition, which once showcased 10 of the contestants, has been trimmed to two, and the traditional "parade of states" introduction of the contestants was reworked to eliminate some of the tedium.

In a nod to successful reality shows like "Last Comic Standing" and "American Idol," the last two women in the hunt for Miss America 2005 were to square off in a head-to-head talent showdown near the end of the telecast, the results helping a seven-judge panel decide who gets to make the tearful runway walk in Boardwalk Hall.

Miss America gets more than that, though: The winner earns a $50,000 college scholarship, a modicum of overnight celebrity and a yearlong reign that can net up to $200,000 in appearance fees.

Citing hour-to-hour Nielsen ratings that traditionally ebb during the talent competition, pageant producers axed the often-amateurish singing, dancing or baton-twirling acts that had been a part of Miss America since 1938.

The swimsuit contest was briefer, too, in a sense. Showing more skin than ever, the contestants competed in racy two-piece swimsuits provided to Miss America under a two-year sponsorship deal with maker Speedo.

The winner succeeds Miss America 2004 Ericka Dunlap, 22, an aspiring attorney from Orlando, Fla., who spent her year advocating the celebration of diversity.
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Just an example of what the women will be wearing:

More skin, less talent? Isn't that like going to hooters?
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Hey, at least at Hooters you get hot wings!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Hey, at least at Hooters you get hot wings!
    Hooters serves food?

Why don't they just let FOX do the show and get it over with. If anyone can trash it up, they can.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

I kinda can't beleive that Miss. Alabama won. (I only watched it because i was waiting for my other show to come on) She was freaky lookin with all that make up on, kinda... possesed looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanthrax
    I kinda can't beleive that Miss. Alabama won. (I only watched it because i was waiting for my other show to come on) She was freaky lookin with all that make up on, kinda... possesed looking.
    You don't say.

She reminds me of a brunette Florence Henderson with the saucer eyes and flippy hairdo
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Yep, Miss America is a scholorship compitition for young ladies and not a beauty pagent.....women are not being seen as sex objects.....they are only looking for women of subtance.

I have to admit I prefer the Miss America Quiz segment as opposed to the talent contest.

toothdoc

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast