+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mister Sterling

Mister Sterling

Ok, I gave this a shot last night - it was the premiere. I hope they were just setting things up, and it gets better, because I was completely underwhelmed.

'Sterling': Bland politics as usual
    Fri Jan 10, 8:27 AM ET

A powerful California Democrat is forced to resign from a closely divided Senate, leaving his party's control in doubt. The state's Democratic governor has to pick a replacement and turns to the son of a beloved fellow Democrat and former governor.

There's only one problem: No one asks Sonny Boy whether he's a Democrat, too, and it turns out he isn't. That puts the balance of power of the Senate in the hands of William Sterling Jr. He's played by Josh Brolin, who looks as surprised as you may be that no one bothered to ask about his party affiliation. Of course, Sterling also seems to think the answer shouldn't matter, which makes him not just a political neophyte, but a nitwit.

Granted, Mister Sterling isn't the first show to ask you to swallow an impossible premise whole.

Unfortunately, the premise is a reflection of the show's overall attitude, which goes along the lines of ''Everyone in Washington is stupid and venal except thee and me.'' On that front, Sterling is an equal opportunity offender: Republicans are an evil tide that only Mr. Sterling can stem, and Democrats are ineffectual hypocrites out to dump Sterling from his post.

Given all that, the show should be unwatchable. That it isn't is a tribute to our own fondness for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington-type stories and to a skilled cast. In addition to Brolin, who is properly heroic as Sterling, the show boasts a wonderfully prickly James Whitmore as his old political pro father and the flat-out wonderful Audra McDonald as Sterling's dedicated chief of staff.

The premiere centers on Sterling's first day in the Senate, where he's introduced to the cardinal rules of Washington by a powerful pol: ''You never offer an amendment to my bills, you always vote for my bills, and you never, ever surprise me. Never.''

It should be no surprise that Sterling instantly surprises him. Like too much in Mister Sterling, it tells you where you're headed too clearly and too early.

In a real-time gimmick, the second episode picks up where the first one ends, at a news conference where Sterling has been sandbagged by a commonly asked question. The answer he gives makes for a principled stand. But in the real world, he would be hammered by every TV and radio talk-show host until he screamed in submission.

You remember the real world, don't you? It's that place to which we all must maintain some ties. Even Mr. Sterling.

I wanted to see this but in the end didn't bother with it.
    I saw a clip of it on The View and it didn't appeal.
    I generally don't like the set up episodes for shows so I might give it a try next week.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I missed it last night. Will try to watch it this week though, I was hoping that it would be a good show, the commercials had promise for it
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

The critics are destroying this show.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Well I like it! But I don't think many others are watching it. Friday night slots are not the easiest for a new program to pick up an audience.
    Gravity, it's not just a good idea. It's the law!

I gave it another shot last Friday, and it's just so self-serving. I thought West Wing pushed their beliefs on us, but they're just playing around compared to this crew.

Still, there's nothing else on Friday nights, I'll probably give it one more try.

Hmmm. I never noticed that West Wing was pushing their ideas on us. But then, with me, they're just singin' to the choir! LOL!!!
    Gravity, it's not just a good idea. It's the law!

lol. I just read that ratings for Mister Sterling dropped off 20% off the first week, to around 2.4 - I wouldn't look for it to continue with those ratings, so if you like it, you'd better start convincing your friends to watch.

LG.
    we watched the first 10 minutes of the first episode and wrote it off

now if I could only get my hands on a Nielsens box, reality tv shows would be on 24/7 MUHAHAHAHAHA
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast