+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Saturday Night Live: 30th Season

PSi
    Well, now that the election (prays) is over, it'll be a different season...you have to give it some time.

That's a good point, Psi. I'll keep tuning in, but I honestly don't remember the last time I watched SNL all the way through (maybe when Trump was on last season? - not sure). But now that a good chunk of the political references will be nixed, it may get better.

PSi

Upcoming guests...

from TVBarn

“SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE” PRESENTS A STAR-PACKED PAIR OF SHOWS FOR NOVEMBER

Acclaimed Actor Liam Neeson and Indie Rock Sensation Modest Mouse on November 13

“Old School” Star Luke Wilson with Superstars U2 on November 20.

New York, NY — November 04, 2004 – NBC’s “Saturday Night Live” rolls into November with a pair of celebrated actors and critically acclaimed bands.

On November 13, SNL welcomes Oscar and Tony nominated actor Liam Neeson as host. Neeson, making his SNL debut brings a wide range of stage and film experience to Studio 8H. He is currently starring in the acclaimed film “Kinsey” opposite Laura Linney and will soon star in Ridley Scott’s crusade epic “The Kingdom of Heaven” and the eagerly anticipated “Batman Begins” for director Christopher Nolan. Among his over 30 film credits include roles in the Academy Award winning “Schindler’s List,” Martin Scorsese’s “Gangs of New York,” “Love Actually.” “Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace,” “Les Miserables,” “Michael Collins,” “Darkman,” “Suspect,” Woody Allen’s “Husbands and Wives,” “Before and After” with Meryl Streep and “Rob Roy” opposite Jessica Lange.

Also making their SNL debut is indie rock band Modest Mouse. The group’s fourth record “Good News For People Who Love Bad News” has received unanimous acclaim and was recently certified platinum – due in large part to the band’s first single, “Float On.” The praise for the band has come from all sides including The Washington Post’s hailing the record as “the most interesting songs and captivating music being made by an American group in the past five years.”

The next week – on November 20 – Luke Wilson toplines SNL. Wilson, who makes his first SNL foray is known to comedy fans from his work in the 2003 smash “Old School” opposite SNL alum Will Ferrell and Vince Vaughan. Wilson has starred alongside his brother Owen in the acclaimed Wes Anderson films “Bottle Rocket,” “Rushmore,” and “The Royal Tenenbaums.” Other credits include the hits “Blue Streak” with Martin Lawrence, “Legally Blonde” with Reese Witherspoon and “Charlie’s Angels.” Wilson is currently in post-production on his writing and directorial debut “The Wendell Baker Story” and will be seen in Mike (“Office Space”) Judge’s next feature.

Joining Wilson in their second SNL performance – and their only network television appearance – is legendary rock group U2. The band will perform tracks from their eagerly awaited record “How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.” One of the most vital bands in rock, U2 has sold 120 million records worldwide and won 14 Grammys, seven for their last studio record “All That You Can’t Leave Behind.” Their first new single “Vertigo” is #1 on the Modern Rock Billboard charts and has broken sales records on Apple’s iTunes Music Store website.

PSi
    Sorry for the Delay.......

Episode V: Liam Neeson and Modest Mouse

Intro: The season is now a quarter over. . . hopefully the season will get better. Of course I’ll be saying that into the last episode, and we all know it won’t.

Ratings: 9=A 7=B 5=C 3=D 1=F

Cold Opening: Kerry calls Bush

Well, Seth’s cash cow on the show has now come to the end. Kerry calls Bush to tell him how great it is to be on vacation…and Bush wants to trade places with Kerry. One good thing about Kerry’s defeat (on the show) is that Maya’s annoying THK will be no more. This was fairly funny. A nice solid opening to the show.

Actors: Seth, Forte, Hammond, Maya
    Best Line: Forte: switch with me please. I can find more votes for you in Ohio. Trust me I know where to look.
    Rating: 7

Monologue:

Liam talks about stereotypes and how he doesn’t want to play a drunken Irishman…then comes on the cast. Finesse, Horatio, and Forte were good, Maya’s was…strange, and Hammond’s was…it seemed like it was thrown in. However, it was good. No complaints here.

Actors: Finesse, Horatio, Maya, Forte, Fred, Rob
    Best Line: Finesse: I will not be playing and pimps or gangster rappers….and that is why this is the only time I’ll be on the show tonight.
    Rating: 6

Star Jones’ Apartment:

A simple concept of the ‘kind’ star Jones freaking out when someone calls her on the phone. Same sketch, different people… However I must say that it is…odd to see Keenan and Finesse in the opening sketch. Maya is Liza…and annoying. She’s just going 0-for tonight. Other calls include Barbara Walters (with Sean Connery), and her cousin (played by should-be cast member JB Soove). This probably didn’t go over well, but I thought it was good enough.

Actors: Finesse, Keenan, Maya, Rachael
    Best Line: Weddings are so magical ain’t they. I remember momma used to say to me - -Liza, call an ambulance.
    Rating: 5

Next Week: Luke Wilson and U2.

Rte2: You call this a house, do you?

The Irish version of Extreme Makeover home edition. They live a one room home. . . There’s a nice little montage in the middle which was humourous. Improvements include- emptying the ash trays, moving a chair three feet, a potato organizer…then he moved the mirror, which leads to a fight. This was a nice, quaint little sketch.

Actors: Seth, Amy, Ron
    Best Line:
    Rating: 8

Commercial: Dr. Porkenheimer’s Boner Juice

Boo. (not the Halloween boo either)

Rating: D

African Parrot:

The premise- Rachael brings a date home and shows off her African Parrot who, played by Fred, pecks around, acts like a bird…but it’s just Fred doing this. . . This IMO is absolute garbage. I bet if I read around enough it’ll be the best of the night, but I thought it was absolute garbage.

Actors: Rachael, Fred
    Best Line: --
    Rating: 1

Wake up San Diego

Oh look a rip off of morning latte. . . and not even ¼ as good. All they do is talk about how good the theme music is the whole time. Kenan comes on a guest who talks about his hardships and …they talk about the various music segments throughout the whole show. Not much good here.

Actors: Maya, Keenan, Chris
    Best Line:
    Rating: 3

Performance 1: Modest Mouse
    I liked the random hippies in the corner…

Weekend Update:

I’m not sure if the crowd’s turning on them or what, but the crowd was for the most part – dead during this whole thing. I think the low point was them re-enacting the Tara Reid incident with Barbie Dolls no wait, was it Tina and Amy’s singing? Hmm..they’re both equally bad, but it was supposed to be that way. ….Seth comes on as a college kid and talks about voting…and the coors light twins...That was pretty funny. Fred plays a dead comedian with Keenan as his translator..which was also pretty funny. But I’m sorry, Amy’s just not good at this at all…

Actors: Fey, Amy, Hammond, Seth, Fred, Keenan
    Best Line: Yesterday in a shocking turn of events Ben Affleck was convicted of killing Scott Peterson’s wife and child
    Rating: 5

Appalachian Emergency Room

Same old same old. Still garbage. I’d like to give this a 1, but unfortunately it doesn’t reach the level of crappiness as the bird sketch.

Actors: Seth, Hammond, Amy, Maya, Keenan, Fred, Parnell, Riggle
    Best Line:
    Rating: 2

Potheads at the Police

Liam and Amy forgot where they put their pot and try to get a drug-sniffing dog to find it for them. He makes up a lot of different stories, and the cop keeps telling him no. A black cop enters, he tells him that he lost his pot, then they go and smoke the pot This was a simple little sketch. I can’t really ask for anything more at this time of evening.

Actors: Amy, Parnell, Keenan
    Best Line: No offense, but my kid hates cops.
    Rating: 6

Performance 2: Modest Mouse

No hippies this time…

Closing Credits: and we get an Apprentice commercial halfway through.

Overall Thoughts: On second look, this was an actually decent show, and if you take away the bird and emergency room sketches. But when I first saw it, I was not a fan…that’s why these things take two viewings.

Rating: 43/90 = .47
    Felt like: 5-5.5

MVP: Keenan. He got a lot of air time tonight.
    LVP: Maya. All of her characters were annoying….

I gotta say, Psi, I thought the parrot skit was pretty funny. Although I will admit, I wasn't sure at first if it was supposed to really be a parrot, or it was supposed to be her "child" who is a "special" child and that's the way he chooses to live.

I came to the conclusion that Fred was playing an actual parrot....and at that point it was funny, because his impression was pretty good.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

PSi
    i knew everyone else would like it.

FORT Fan
    PSi - I'm on you with the parrot stint - not funny at all....I thought Fred looked like Jimmy Falon though...not that it mattered.....

Quote Originally Posted by PSi
    i knew everyone else would like it.
    I think mostly because it was just a silly skit--not a "brainy", laugh at what is inferred kinda skit. The parrot costume was just funny looking, and Fred's movements in the costume just made me laugh.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

I really cracked up at the parrot skit too.. we used to have a maroon bellied conure that is a member of the parrot family and he looked just like him, esp when running up and down liam's arm..

PSi
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison1995
    I really cracked up at the parrot skit too.. we used to have a maroon bellied conure that is a member of the parrot family and he looked just like him, esp when running up and down liam's arm..
    hopefully it didn't look like fred...that would be.....scary

+ Reply to Thread