+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Saturday Night Live: 30th Season

A 5 is very generous, in my opinion. Let's hope the season gets better after the train-wreck last night. :phhht

I was really not expecting that the person to take over for Jimmy Fallon would be another woman! Didn't care for it. They really need a man on Weekend Update to balance it out or something. I was so hoping that Seth Meyers (he does John Kerry) would get that job, I think he'd be hillarious.

The show was so-so. When I saw the 'Debbie Downer' sketch come on, I thought it would kill...as mentioned earlier in this thread, when it was done last year, the actors in the sketch couldn't stop laughing and that made it funny. Last night it was really lame and the audience was practically silent. It was odd.

I don't like Alec Baldwin at all, so I didn't care for the opening.

The only part where I really laughed out loud was the wedding reception sketch towards the end. Ben Affleck doing that goofy dancing was funny as heck.

I agree that Seth Myers might do well on Update.

PSi
    Seth tried out for WU, but the word is that he did really bad...plus since he'll be Kerry in like 4 sketches EVERY week, that'd be Myers overkill.

and i was very ...forgiving with my ratings this week since a) i didn't see it live and had to do a quick recap sunday afternoon and b) there are no expectaions on this week. when you have a bad season and you lose your most popular member, the expecations are really low, and i took that into account. Next week with Queen Latifah...i'll be back to my normal 3's and 4's.

PSi

Spoilers Tonight.

Ok, here are some spoilers for tonight's show...and if these are right, it doesn't give me a lot of hope...

Click to see Spoiler:
    Presidential and VP debate (which will be interesting since Forte does both Bush and Edwards...)
    Starkeesha
    a basketball sketch with Finesse, Keenan, Maya, and Rob.

LOL... Excedrin for Racial Tension headaches.. that was great.... Lol... it was great... tonight isn't half bad.... sooooo far.
    Big Brother 16: The Alliance - Come See the Fun in the Big Brother Forum!

PSi

Psi's review

Episode Two: Queen Latifah

First thoughts: I don’t know what SNL is doing. I remember back in the day when being both the host and musical guest was a) a rarity and b) an honour. Now it seems like any schmo off the street can do it. I mean, the queen isn’t exactly high priority on anyone’s list. Her movie is flopping hard in reviews and is putting out a new album for the first time in six years…and I don’t even remember the last one doing anything.
    Also, there will be no times as I recorded this one on Tivo and still figuring it out.

Ratings Key: 9=A 7=B 5=C 3=D 1=F. It’s not like school. you don’t get a 60 and then work your way up from there. Every point is earned.

Cold Opening: Bush and Kerry informal debate.

For the second time, they open with a Kerry/Bush debate. People in the audience ask the questions and they act the same way as last time, only this time Bush walks around like he has to pee and Kerry doesn’t flip-flop this time and ends everything with “I have a plan or I know a lot of people.” For those who don’t know, the last person to ask a question was writer Paula Pell. She’s been in a lot of sketches before. This one goes on too long, yet again. I guess it’s well written. But losing interest in the first five minutes isn’t a good thing.
    Forte gets the live from NY

Actors: Seth, Forte, Parnell, Riggle, Maya, Rachael, Amy
    Best Line: Forte: Today he hates the war, tomorrow, who knows what he’ll hate, maybe you?
    Rating: 5. I’m being very forgiving on these longs intros….thusfar.

Monologue:

Queen Latifah hocks her new “jazzy” CD, and in comes the jazz vocal group, the scat cats…who sing for the queen, and they just scat by making incoherent sounds bebibibidopp. . . reminds me of that horrible boom boomer sketch.

Actors: Horatio, Maya, Fred, Will
    Best Line: --
    Rating: 4

Commercial: Short and Curly Pubic Hair shampoo

And our descent into MadTV continues. I never thought I’d say this, but at least “oops I crapped my pants” had some taste to it.

Actors: Will, Seth, Seth, Fred, Rob, Finesse
    Rating: C-
    The Prince Show:
    I admit it, I was a fan of this sketch last year. It was one of the rare positives in an otherwise dim season. Latifah plays Patti Labelle, who makes little sense and that’s about it…Amy comes on as Sharon Stone, who doesn’t say much. Prince then has a tantrum and tosses flowers and rips up pillows. It lost a little of its luster of last year…maybe it was the sound, but overall solid.

Actors: Fred, Maya, Amy
    Best Line: Patti Labelle, price needs some time to think about what you said
    Rating: 7

Commercial two: Excedrin for racial tention

Latifah talks about the racial tensions. This was actually a funny commercial…unlike the last one.

Rating: A

Next new Show: Jude Law and Ashlee Simpson 10/23……great…..

Vice Presidential Debate:

This really has no steam to it. Chaney makes random points. Edwards rambles on about how Chaney’s daughter is gay. It was short enough and, although the crowd died off at parts, it was ok.

Actors: Will, Daryl
    Best Line: I think it’s great that she Tivo’s the L Word…and has season tickets to the WNBA.
    Rating: 6

Musical Performace 1

Fast Forward….

Weekend Update:

It doesn’t get any better….Rachael tries to pull off Martha, but just fails miserably compared to Ana. Also, this sketch is an exact carbon copy of the Diana Ross jail WU from last year. Finesse talks about Finland’s rule about how the gvn’t can veto a kids name and how black kids have stupid names. A point for Finesse and because he’s 100% correct. But with Amy and Tina…still, I get nothing from it. Maybe it’s a chemistry issue, maybe just both are horrible. Still nothing good from this.

Actors: Tina, Amy, Rachael, Finesse
    Best Line: Brittany spears is recording a rap album…I can’t wait to hear that said no one

Basketball Player:

LaTron has a choice between going to college and working hard or getting paid millions of dollars by going to the NBA. This wasn’t funny at all, but it was 100% accurate. A point for that, but minus a point for not being funny.

Actors: Finesse, Rob, Seth, Kenan
    Best Line: For every free throw you miss, I’ll beat you a sock fill of nickels.

Smigel Cartoon: X-Presidents
    Ronald Regan Jr. replaces his father. They go out and beat and beat up Kerry, round up minorities, which summons the wrath of all the dead presidents, who beat up the Bush administration.

Rating: B-

Heaven:

Rodney Dangerfield tries to get into heaven who, upon being questioned by St. Peter, does a little stand up bit…just because Peter wanted to hear it one last time. This was a complete class act by SNL…yes, the same SNL who made a commercial for pubic hair shampoo and Dr. Porkenheimer’s Boner juice...yes, that SNL.

Actors: Horatio, Daryl
    Rating: A

Starkeesha:

The crowd is completely dead after this one, and I don’t blame them. They try to get two people to register to vote. This is just bad. . .

Actors: Maya, Kenan, Finesse, Amy, Chris
    Best Line: Maya: How we gonna die? Finesse: I dunno, I guess P. Diddy gonna shoot you or something.
    Rating: 2

Next week: Best of Jimmy Fallon

Musical Perfomance Two: Chris Kattan…introduces her? Wow, his career sure took off.

Zinger:

Another favourite of mine last year. Let’s get some random far-fetched problem where they have some sort of Zing-off. Latifah plays Shiela Au-Snape…the Snap. This doesn’t have the luster of last year, as they’re holding back. You need to go all out….which they didn’t, but that’s the difference between having the sketch at 11:45 and 12:45.

Actors: Chris, Rachael, Seth
    Best Line: You’re so hairless, Michael Jackson still invites you to sleepovers.
    Rating: 6.

And the closing credits are cut off for…..fear factor. In fact, we don’t even get credits.

Overall Thoughts: When you get a horrible WU and Starkeesha, the ratings are going to be really really low. Also, it seems like there are a lot less sketches than last year .I’m not sure if that’s better or worse yet. Had things been moved around, maybe it would’ve been better, but WU is now, I dread, the show killer. All momentum it had – gone. All laughs – gone. The crowd – dead.

Performer of the Night: Daryl.
    Worst of the Night: Horatio: Didn’t really do much, and almost laughed through his one sketch.

Overall Rating: 38/80. (.48)
    Felt Like: 4.5

Psi: Did you miss the news update segment with Queen Latifah playing the roommate to the newly encarcerated Martha Stewart? I thought that skit was hilarious. I am a long time SNL fan, but the last decade has left me cold. I don't watch it much, basically I see who is gonna host and maybe give it 15 minutes to catch my attention before I go zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I stopped watching this one during the VP debate skit. All the other skits were bland to me, but the Excedrin commercial was funny.
    Last edited by Sepialove; 10-10-2004 at 10:42 AM.
    Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God

Oh! The Presidential debate skit was DEAD ON!
    Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God

is it my imagination or is Maya pregnant?? She looked it during the Prince sketch
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread