+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturday Night Live: 30th Season

I used to like Jimmy Fallon but he really got on my nerves the past couple seasons. I miss Will Ferrell. He's the best guy that show had!

I hope Will Ferrel comes back and does an episode as George Bush before the election. He's far and away better than the other people that portray Bush.

I wonder who will play John Kerry?

Are there any new people this year?
    ugh. I don't get time to watch TV anymore, much less hang out at the FORT.

But don't you worry, I'll be back in full force on or about November 3rd.

PSi
    They got Seth Myers doing Kerry...just like last year.
    I know they got one guy for sure, Rob Riggle (or a name very similar to that) He's been on Vh1's A-Z and he had a cameo last year on SNL on Fear Factor Jr. as one of the kid's dad.

Don't forget - SNL is NEW tonight! I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that they will do a debate sketch. Just a wild guess.

I was sure they'd do a Nomar/Boston one since he was traded but Jimmy Fallon's no longer on the show! That would've been good.

Lorne Micheals already announced there will be a debate sketch.

I can't believe SNL has been on longer than I've been alive. Amazing.
    I think Ben Affleck is really funny on SNL...Can't wait to watch.

I'm very curious to see who fills in for Jimmy Fallon on 'Weekend Update'.

And Jude Law next week? Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm

And Jude Law next week? Awesome.
    Agreed!

Wheatfield, NY (outside of Niagara Falls)
    Did NOT like Amy Poehler as the fill-in on Weekend Update. I usually enjoy her comedy elsewhere in the skits, but she doesn't seem like the sarcastic, newsy type. Tina Fey makes her look like a bubbly idiot.

But, it was the first time for her, so hopefully it will get better.
    "The fact is, sometimes its hard to walk in a single woman's shoes. That's why we need really special ones now and then- to make the walk a little more fun."

--Carrie Bradshaw, Sex and the City

Wow - SNL was terrible last night! There was only one funny sketch - the escalator one. That's it. And I agree about Amy Poehler being terrible. Not only was Weekend Update not funny at all, but she made it worse! I love her in sketches, but her voice is a little too grating and unnatural on Update.

Overall, BIG disappointment for the season premiere. At least Nelly and Jaheim were good singing "My Place." That and the escalator sketch were the only things I liked at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpshaker
    Ben Who-Fleck?!! Wow! I can't believe it's their 30th season! I'm old ....
    Not as old as me, I'm afraid. I remember watching the very first show.

I agree with the others, though. This one sucked. The only amusing skit was Affleck doing James Carville. Otherwise it seemed like the cast was making things up as they went along.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

PSi
    30th Season Opener: October 2, 2004: Ben Affleck and Nelly

Opening Words: Uh…don’t really have much time to write this up, so it’s a really chopped version.

Ratings Key:
    9=A
    7=B
    5=C
    3=D
    1=F
    and everything in between. 5 isn’t bad. It’s just average. I don’t believe in inflated ratings. a C is not 7…you don’t get 5 points for just making it to air….

Cold Opener: Debate

The new season starts off with a little ‘ol Presidential debate. If you like political satire, you’ll like this season, if not…then it’ll be a long long season. This is the typical anti-Bush anti-Republican spiel, from the inept Bush to…the confused Bush…well, this isn’t anything Tina and co. hasn’t thrown out over the past few years. The basic point of this sketch- Bush has no idea what to do and says he’s considering bringing back Saddam. . . and Kerry’s a flip-flopper. Myers, to his credit, has worked hard on his Kerry. However…this is the same thing we’ve seen (and will see) and way too long. After 3 ½ minutes, it lost its novelty. Once it hits the 10 minute mark, you know you’re in for a long season.
    Parnell gets the Live from Saturday night.

Actors: Parnell, Myers, Forte
    Length: 12:30
    Best Line: --
    Rating: 5

In another ominous sign, Don Pardo calls will “Will Fert” …my hopes for the season are fading.

Monologue:

Ben hasn’t been on SNL for a long…seven months. Ben says a little about “life is good” then in comes….Alec Baldwin? Well, that’s a bit of a surprise. Baldwin asks why Affleck’s stealing his moves. They go back and forth, which…I found mildly amusing.

Actors: --
    Length: 3:30
    Best Line: Alec: Don’t jerk me around Gigli.
    Rating: 7

Commercial: Dr. Porkenheimer’s Boner Juice

Am I watching SNL or Mad TV?

Actors: Amy, Rob
    Length: 1:20
    Best Line:
    Rating: C

Debbie Downer:

A lot of people said this was the best sketch of last year…I disagree…Let’s see how it stands up when they don’t all laugh like hyenas. They try to celebrate his birthday, and Debbie brings up the hurricanes, hostages, cat AIDS among other things…That….didn’t get as much of a response that even I thought it would get. With all the hype this was generating over the summer, I thought the crowd would have eaten it up….oh well.

Actors: Horatio, Maya, Amy, Fred, Rachael
    Length: 4.20
    Best Line: the cat sound effect
    Rating: 4

Swiftveterans.org

Veterans talk about all the things Kerry have done. Horatio, Fred, Will, Chris, and Daryl talk about the things he did, and how he flip flops and how he married the enemy….eh… this was better suited for a 12:55 sketch, but I guess that’s another ominous sign.

Actors: Parnell, Hammond, Horatio, Fred, Forte
    Length: 2:15

Next Week: Host/Musical Queen Latifah …….and the slippery slide continues.

Kerry in the hotel after the debate

Wow, they’re sure tossing all the Kerry stuff out at once, Ben and Seth talk about campaign advice….and why not recycle old material, in comes Clinton as room service, who is down there not to give advice, but to pick up trailer park booty. Average.

Actors: Myers, Maya, Daryl
    Length: 5.45
    Best Line: Ben: You beat Bush in a talking contest, that’s like Wilt Chamberlin playing a game of basketball against Stephen Hawking and winning by 2.

Oh good, Hillary Duff has another movie out. Great….

Musical Perfomance 1: Nelly and Jaheim. Better than most of his other garbage….

Weekend Update:

Well, as we all know, Jimmy’s replacement for the year is …Amy. It’ll be a long season folks. Buckle yourself in. That sounded like Jimmy doing the intro…I don’t even know if I should even bother writing this up? Tina’s still horrible, Amy reads sooo slooow…Yeah, I’m going to skip this. Oh yeah, they used Horatio as Elton John again.

Actors: Amy, Tina, Horatio
    Length: 12:55
    Best Line: …best part was when Horatio called Amy “Jimmy”
    Rating: 4

Escalator:

The escalator stops and they all freak out. Spoof of all those intense action-packed drama action intense films….nothing new at all, which I guess irks some people…but I thought it was funny…

Actors: Maya, Amy, Rachael, Chris, Horatio, Will
    Length: 5.15
    Rating: 9

Wedding DJ:

Ben plays an annoying DJ who ruins a wedding reception. Nothing spectacular. . . but they sure are featuring a lot of Amy this episode.

Actors: Rob, Amy, Will, Fred
    Length: 4.30
    Best Line: Ben: Ok Father, stay away from the kiddie’s table

Performance 2: Nelly…….say what you want, it’s better than Ashlee Simpson is going to be.

Short Film: A look back at a day in Camp David, 1989 by Kitty Kerry

George W. Parties a little too hard

Credits: Cut off…as always for a Joey commercial. . . Kenan and Finesse’s time to shine…quite a shame.

Overall thoughts:

Uh…for all you people who loved Debbie Downer and wanted it on every week? Happy? It’s horrible. For all of you people who like political satire…get used to it. For all of you who like Keenan…tune in for the closing credits. I had no expectations for this season, and they sure lived up to it…same old stuff as last year. So far, to me, the elevator sketch is the best of the year…but its competition is rather lacking.

Best of the Night: Ben
    Worst of the Night: eh…no one is that deservant…but when the host is the best performer of the night, that doesn’t really say anything

Overall: 44/80 (55%)
    Felt Like: 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast