+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oprah Gives Everyone in her Audience a New Car

Oprah Gives Everyone in her Audience a New Car

NYPOST

September 14, 2004 -- OPRAH Winfrey shocked her studio audience yesterday by giving all 276 of them a spanking-new Pontiac G6 car — a jaw-dropping deal valued at over $7 million.
    The G6s, which are new models, were donated by Pontiac and retail for roughly $25,000 apiece.

Pontiac also picked up taxes, registration and title licensing fees and will customize the cars up to $28,000 — meaning all the lucky "Oprah" winners have to do is pay for insurance.

A svelte Winfrey opened yesterday's show by giving 11 audience members the new cars as part of the show's "Wildest Dreams Come True" theme.

But she then distributed boxes to the rest of the audience — with each box containing a set of car keys.

The announcement created mass hysteria as the women in the audience screamed and Oprah jumped up and down shouting "Everybody gets a car! Everybody gets a car! Everybody gets a car!"

She then led the audience outside to a slew of G6s adorned with ribbons (these weren't the cars given out).

Mary Kubitskey, Pontiac's advertising manager, said the company approached Winfrey about eight months ago when it was thinking how it could launch the new G6 model on a massive scale.

"We've never done anything on this scale — it's a first for us," said Kubitskey.

"We needed to launch the G6 in a big way and we had to find a way to break through in the market and get noticed.

"We were all sitting around and thinking of who the No. 1 influence among our consumers would be — and it was Oprah."

"It's a brilliant move on Pontiac's part," said industry analyst Bill Carroll of Katz Media. "They've gotten terrific publicity and an association with Oprah Winfrey.

"Since Oprah's never endorsed anything . . . you certainly have to look at this as a de facto indication that she believes [the cars] have value."

Pontiac's Kubitskey said the "Oprah" audience members have until the end of February to place their orders — and can customize their cars with a sunroof, heated leather seats and XM satellite radio, among other options.

Yesterday's show was the biggest giveaway in "Oprah" history — and that's saying a lot, since Winfrey has lavished exotic prizes on her audience for years.

She's taken entire audiences to Disney World and to the Bahamas, and last November showered her audience with $1.5 million in holiday gifts.

http://nypost.com/entertainment/30282.htm

I missed the show yesterday, forgot it was the new season starting. Oprah looks fabulous.

I really do believe Oprah gets a buzz from giving people stuff. Good on her.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Ok, yeah, I admit it. I watched it. The teaser before the show hooked me in. The G6 looks pretty cool. What was even cooler than the cars was Oprah's Angel Network paying off that one lady's mortgage so she can live in her neighborhood.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I read in another article (sorry, no link, but it was either Reuters or AP) that all the audience members were selected based on need--one couple had a car with 400,000 miles on it, and some other woman's old car looked like it was "driven through a gunfight." I much prefer it when giveways are bestowed on people with a real financial need, so I give Oprah the standing "O" for this big stunt.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

But wasn't it really the Pontiac company giving the cars away? I'm sure they wouldn't have done it for some else other than Miss O, though. So it was an hour long commercial for the car but the bottom line is some people got some much needed wheels.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

But there were other things. I didn't get to see it, but I saw in the reviews that there was a homeless woman who wanted to make something of herself - and O gave her a makeover, a $10000 wardrobe, a full scholarship, and personal access to Oprah as a friend (home phone #, cell #, email addr). This is a woman who does care, obviously. Yeah, its a drop in the bucket to her as far as the cash - but she is making it personal.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    I read in another article (sorry, no link, but it was either Reuters or AP) that all the audience members were selected based on need--one couple had a car with 400,000 miles on it, and some other woman's old car looked like it was "driven through a gunfight." I much prefer it when giveways are bestowed on people with a real financial need, so I give Oprah the standing "O" for this big stunt.

SFG-

At first she called out about 10-12 people on stage and gave them the car because of their need for one. Then later on in the show, the whole audience went out onto the studio parking lot where everyone received one.

Quote Originally Posted by mkwdood
    But there were other things. I didn't get to see it, but I saw in the reviews that there was a homeless woman who wanted to make something of herself - and O gave her a makeover, a $10000 wardrobe, a full scholarship, and personal access to Oprah as a friend (home phone #, cell #, email addr). This is a woman who does care, obviously. Yeah, its a drop in the bucket to her as far as the cash - but she is making it personal.
    Yep, although giving away cars were nice, I enjoyed the personnal gifts to those in true need. I can be such a sap when it comes that kind of stuff.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Bopping to my own beat! realityluver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mkwdood
    That segment brought me to tears. I love it when Oprah does things like that for people who truly need it.
    Phenomenal woman... that's me!!!

It was on the local news last night that a women from here in my area was on that show. Her car had 200,000 miles on it. She was crying with happiness when she was talking about it. The cars out in the parking lot were just an example of what they would get, btw. They are all supposed to go to their local dealers and custom order their individual cars.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Premium Member
    Wow....I heard about the cars but I didn't know about the other things. How cool is that lady?

The best you can do is to fake it
    Sometimes you can’t make it on your own

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast