+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Oprah Gives Everyone in her Audience a New Car

Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm
    Alot of the women in the audience just didn't appear to me to be that 'needy'. Everyone was dressed very nicely. Nice fresh haircuts/color. Makeup. Jewelry. I know they showed a video of one woman who's truck had like 300,000 miles on it. Well, ok, then go get a new vehicle lady! Her house was nice...so what's the problem?? I don't get why she was picked. I'm sure if they really searched, they could have found more people who were genuinely NEEDY. There's some people out there who have no vehicles at ALL,and have to use public transportation..where were they at? I'm just not 100% convinced that the ENTIRE audience was totally so down & out that they couldn't afford a car.
    You know, Firestorm, I actually gave a lot of thought to your post since I read it yesterday. Here's what I'm thinking. Most people have not suffered undue hardship nor been excessively blessed with good fortune. There's an awful lot of working stiffs who live paycheque to paycheque and are financially unable to put their kids through college or buy them cars, or even take them on a trip to Disneyland. We (did I say we? ) have decent clothes - not designer, but not rags either - can afford to get our hair done and have enough self-respect to slap on a little makeup and try to look nice if we're gonna be on TV, and can just barely afford to put a decent roof over our kids' heads, but a new vehicle is a helluva expense and not easy to come by. Not to mention the insurance and the money to put gas in the thing.

Yeah, there's a lot of VERY needy people. There's homeless people, single moms on welfare without education or support from their kids' fathers, neglected kids who don't have mittens to wear in the winter, elderly people who are eating cat food because their CPP (social security to you Americans) cheques don't give them enough to live on...there's an endless list of people who need help.

I don't presume to know Oprah's motivation for her generousity. That's between Oprah, her producer, and her therapist. But someone, be it her production team or the marketing people at Pontiac, decided to throw a little random kindness over to some hardworking people who probably never won a damn thing in their lives, and I for one think it's pretty cool.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Great post AJane!!!!!

PR, schmee-are!!!! I don't really care if this is just PR for Oprah or if anything is tax deductible, etc. She helped out others and that's great. For the second time this week I watched with a quivering lip and a box of tissues while watching the good she has done.

All I know is that Oprah is great at changing lives and reducing manly-men to blubbering piles of goo.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I agree with you, AJ. I could be living in a boxcar and I'd gussy up to be on TV. What an awesome giveaway and a great way to start her season.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

NYPOST:

September 18, 2004 -- BEHOLD the power of Oprah.
    Oprah Winfrey's now-famous Pontiac giveaway last Monday spiked traffic to her Web site and also drove viewers to Pontiac's online site.

Winfrey gave away 276 Pontiac G6 cars to her studio audience last Monday. The cars were donated by Pontiac, which coughed up over $7 million but got a huge advertising bang for its buck since the story made headlines around the country (and is on the cover of the upcoming People magazine).

According to comScore Networks, which tracks site traffic, visitation to oprah.com jumped 800 percent from Monday to Tuesday as over 600,000 people logged on after seeing "Oprah."

Visitation to pontiac.com jumped 600 percent in the same period as over 140,000 people viewed the site, the company noted.

"The giveaway buzz was clearly a winner in breaking through the clutter of every media channel and in the workplace, where word-of-mouth is a particularly valuable marketing tool," says comScore VP Dan Hess.

"With the majority of new car buyers researching online before they buy, the impact of this event in drawing Americans . . . to Pontiac online can't be overlooked."
    http://nypost.com/entertainment/28800.htm

Wouldn't you love to know many of those hits were asking how to get a free car?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234