+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oprah Gives Everyone in her Audience a New Car

Lucy and Kevin...so cute! Reality tv fan's Avatar
    WOW! wish I was in her audience that day!

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    SFG-

At first she called out about 10-12 people on stage and gave them the car because of their need for one. Then later on in the show, the whole audience went out onto the studio parking lot where everyone received one.

Yep, although giving away cars were nice, I enjoyed the personnal gifts to those in true need. I can be such a sap when it comes that kind of stuff.
    Every single member in the audience (not just the first 11) was handpicked to be there because someone had written in requesting Oprah's help at getting them a new car, so they were all needy. She gave the first 11 people a car on stage... then told the entire audience that there was one additional car. The entire audience were given boxes and told that one of them contained keys to the last G6. When they opened up their boxes they ALL contained keys. Oprah started jumping up and down saying "You all got cars! You all got cars!!" There were people in there that not only had a lot of mileage on their current cars, but a son, I believe, wrote in about his mother's car looking like someone had shot it up with a machine gun, etc.

It was pretty cool... just two weeks ago Oprah came and toured the plant that is about 3 miles north of me. She also shopped at my local Target that's a mile north of my house. Wish I hadn't been working at the time.. there's a good likelihood that I would have been at Target (I am always there! heh) as that would have been fun.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Every single member in the audience (not just the first 11) was handpicked to be there because someone had written in requesting Oprah's help at getting them a new car, so they were all needy. She gave the first 11 people a car on stage... then told the entire audience that there was one additional car.

Oops. Thanks for pointing that out. Although, I have an excuse in that I was laid up on some good pain killers.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Well you all know that I intend to rain on the parade. While I think this is a very nice gesture, I still resent it. If Pontiac has so much extra cash on hand why not lower the price of their cars to make them more affordable to people who didn't happen to be on hand for the freebie? I guess we would have been eligible for "her" hand out since one of our vehicles has close to 200,000 miles on it. The fact is that we can afford to buy a new one but chose not to. Now if someone wants to give us one, we might be interested.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Oprah should do a show in NY. Id apreaciate a car.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Look, this was a business deal, plain and simple. Pontiac and Oprah made a deal. Pontiac gets AWESOME publicity for their newest model, the G6, and Oprah comes out looking like a saint. Mission accomplished.

She should send me a car since she graduated from the same high school I did.
    East Nashville High School, Nashville, TN - Home of the Gray Eagles!

I saw that episode.

Those women went CRAZY! It was neat to see.

Oprah also temporary lost her mind for a bit because she said "YOU GET A CAR, YOU GET A CAR, YOU GET A CAR!" for about 10 minutes in a row while running in a circle on her stage in high heels pointing to everyone. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    Well you all know that I intend to rain on the parade. While I think this is a very nice gesture, I still resent it. If Pontiac has so much extra cash on hand why not lower the price of their cars to make them more affordable to people who didn't happen to be on hand for the freebie? I guess we would have been eligible for "her" hand out since one of our vehicles has close to 200,000 miles on it. The fact is that we can afford to buy a new one but chose not to. Now if someone wants to give us one, we might be interested.
    In defense of my company... we don't have that much money sitting around. It actually took a heck of a lot of convincing to get Pontiac to go along with the plan (it was thought up by the advertising company after their president met Gayle King in an airport.) Publicity sells, however, and after a lot of research they determined the half an hour of publicity with the guaranteed volume of Oprah's tv audience and influence was pretty equal to the cost of the cars.

Now I would have loved Oprah to have paid for my 4 year college degree, a car, and a $10000 wardrobe. But the girl she gifted those to was so amazing and needy. That was a great, great thing.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Broadway I don't think I ever heard that you worked for Pontiac. No offense meant to you since you are one of my good Fort buddies. I'm sure it wasn't your idea but I still think it was a bad one. I wonder how many people will run out and buy one because they saw Oprah give a couple of hundred of them away. Probably not too many. I'm betting that they would have gotten more return for their money if they'd bought time on the Super Bowl, or wherever.
    I agree that the gifts to the needy people were a very nice gesture. I didn't see the show. Are you telling me that was a $10,000 wardrobe? I've probably not had that many clothes in my entire life.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast