+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lost - Season 1.

FORT Fogey
    I understand the money issue but for the life of me WHY would ANY actor walk out of the show that is a HUGE HIT in its first season?

"Lost" is a HUGE TV success for ANY actor to be part of.

Oh, well, I'm NOT in the entertainment industry so what do I know....

Are there ever numbers on the show that don't correspond to Hurley's lotto numbers?

Click to see Spoiler:
    That is a good question about whether it has to be a man. To me, "actor" means one who acts - male or female. But most people use "actor" for men and "actress" for women, so I assumed it was a man. It seems that CR did, too.

I had forgotten that Matthew bought a house in Hawaii, so that does make it less likely to be him. On the other hand, he can always sell the house.

I still think it's likely that it's Dominic. I know there are rumors that he is dating Kate/Evangeline, but those are false because she's secretly in love with me. In situations like this, even if money is given as the reason, there is often more to the story - and ego has a lot to do with some of these decisions. I can see Dominic wanting Charlie to have more depth as a character and have more to do besides following Claire around and raiding the heroin plane. So Dom makes a bit a of power play and either keeps doing the same thing with better compensation, or he moves on to something else like getting back to making movies.

Now, that same scenario could apply to Sayid/Naveen. I don't know much about him, either, but he seems like kind of an arty guy who may want to use his newfound fame to get some choice movie roles and leave the island behind. So, again, he stages a power play and figures he wins regardless of how it comes out.

I don't see Locke/Terry doing this. He moved to Hawaii and seems to thoroughly love the show and the character he's playing.

Even though Josh/Sawyer may be the breakout star of the show (next to Evangeline, anyway), I don't see this being him. In every interview I've seen with the guy, he seems very down-to-earth and grateful to be on the show. I remember him saying he was planning to give up acting and get his real estate license when he got this part. I believe Josh sees Sawyer as a good role and isn't going to give it up, at least not this soon.

Not a chance it's Hurley, Jin, Michael or Walt. (The dog, maybe?)

Now, if we are including the women, I would agree that Maggie is probably the top female candidate. In addition to money and other opportunities, she may also be worried about spending too much time in a role where she is basically just a whiney little be-otch.

I have to add that I think it is a mistake for actors to leave a hit show like this. If movie producers are waving $20 million contracts at them and offering them starring roles in films, that's one thing. But that doesn't happen. I can't think of a situation where an actor left a hit show and it turned out to be a good move. I think of people like Shelley Long, David Caruso, Juliana Margolese (or whatever her name is) - it didn't exactly work out well for any of them. The kicker to me is that there's a lot of down time when you're doing these shows. You film intensely for a few months, but then you've got plenty of time to make movies or do whatever else you want. Sure, you may miss out on some good parts due to timing, but that happens even if you're doing nothing but making movies. When you've got a good thing going, milk it for all it's worth!
    Last edited by Chach; 06-03-2005 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chach
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I still think it's likely that it's Dominic. I know there are rumors that he is dating Kate/Evangeline, but those are false because she's secretly in love with me.

You are too funny!!!

Click to see Spoiler:
    I have to add that I think it is a mistake for actors to leave a hit show like this. If movie producers are waving $20 million contracts at them and offering them starring roles in films, that's one thing. But that doesn't happen. I can't think of a situation where an actor left a hit show and it turned out to be a good move. I think of people like Shelley Long, David Caruso, Juliana Margolese (or whatever her name is) - it didn't exactly work out well for any of them. The kicker to me is that there's a lot of down time when you're doing these shows. You film intensely for a few months, but then you've got plenty of time to make movies or do whatever else you want. Sure, you may miss out on some good parts due to timing, but that happens even if you're doing nothing but making movies. When you've got a good thing going, milk it for all it's worth!
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I can't imagine who this is leaving, but I have to agree with you, I think it is a huge mistake for whoever they are. I hope they get over their ego before the end of the summer and decide to stick around.

I can't think of a situation
    Click to see Spoiler:
    where an actor left a hit show and it turned out to be a good move. I think of people like Shelley Long, David Caruso, Juliana Margolese (or whatever her name is) - it didn't exactly work out well for any of them.
    I can't resist!
    George Clooney?

Does SNL count? They are countless:
    Will Ferrell
    Mike Myers
    Dan Akroyd
    Adam Sandler
    Chevy Chase
    Billy Crystal

And to get back on topic: has anyone made it to the board that is just starting to watch Lost in reruns, having never seen it before? I'm interested in your comments!
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

Quote Originally Posted by totoro
    I can't resist!
    George Clooney?

Does SNL count? They are countless:
    Will Ferrell
    Mike Myers
    Dan Akroyd
    Adam Sandler
    Chevy Chase
    Billy Crystal

And to get back on topic: has anyone made it to the board that is just starting to watch Lost in reruns, having never seen it before? I'm interested in your comments!
    OT to reply to smarty-pants:

Click to see Spoiler:
    There's a difference, though. My comment about producers waving big contracts at the actors would apply to all of the people you listed. (And I wasn't including SNL, but will since it helps prove my point.) Those are the people who should leave to make movies. They were already stars and would have clearly lost big movie parts by continuing with their piddly little TV shows when they could be starring in movies for $ mega-millions. I'm talking about 2nd or 3rd tier people - who may think they're stars but aren't. To me, anyone leaving Lost right now is in that category and not in George Clooney's league. No one leaving Lost right now would get top-billing in a big-budget movie.

I remember Juliana Margules (I think I got the spelling right this time) left a $ multi-million offer on the table from ER to do movies. She wasn't and isn't a movie star. At best, she rates about 3rd or 4th billing after the leads. She could have stayed on ER and still got bit parts in low-budget movies. That's where the Lost people fall, and that's why they'd be making a mistake to leave the show.

Maybe Evangeline will turn into the next Julia Roberts and Josh will be the next George Clooney, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'm spoilering this because even though it's off on a tangent, it's related to a spoiler.

Verrrrrry Interesting stuff to chew on:

Click to see Spoiler:
    from IMDB: casting
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "Genesis: Part 1" Episode: #2.1 - 21 September 2005
    Glenn Cannon .... Priest Hendrix
    Sarah Clarke .... Asylum Patient
    Samuel L. Jackson .... Bernard
    Michelle Rodriguez .... Ana-Lucia
    Angus Scrimm .... Mr. Meahpares
    John Terry .... Dr. Christian Shephard
    Tina Wesson .... Alex Rousseau
    -----------------------------------------------------

First: Tina Wesson, as in from Survivor! She's nearly the same age as Danielle, am I right? Discuss.

Second: Mr. Meahpares is an odd name, isn't it? Google brings up nothing but a poster on a reality TV board (not FORT) who was notorious for creating elaborate 'clues' to reveal the order of elimination from week-to-week. He was eventually proven to be hoaxing everyone. However, spell it backwards: SERAPHAEM, much like SERAPHIM. (See pantheon.org/articles/s/seraphim.html for a quick overview of Seraphim. Hint: Lucifier is considered a seraph. Also, the guy they casted for this role has a loooooong string of spooky bad-guy movie roles behind him. Can't wait to see this play out!
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

FORT Fogey
    Click to see Spoiler:
    That is interesting stuff! I love it that Sam Jackson is going to be on the show as Bernard.

I thought maybe there was another Tina Wesson who was playing Alex, so I looked up the name on IMDB, and it is the Survivor Tina Wesson - Lost is already listed in her credits!

That is weird. It's odd casting for any role, and especially as Danielle's daughter!

It will be a very different show next season.

WOW! VERY strange choice to play this role!

CCL
    Hm
    Click to see Spoiler:

I've actually heard that all the actors have contingency plans in their contracts for next season, so that everyone is on as a regular, but any one of them could be killed off at any moment. This idea came after one of the actors who was getting killed off in October became very upset and insisted on full-season pay in order to come back at all.
    Link: http://www.eonline.com/Gossip/Kristi...5/050523c.html

She does say actor which points to it being a male though actresses have this annoying thing about calling themselves "actors" nowadays, so it could be a female. I'm still betting on Naveen Andrews myself. Note, also, that she says "one of the actors getting killed off"....more than one big name? Or will it be one of the main cast and then Steve or Scott or someone.

Tina Wesson? Uck. I find her annoying. And she does seem the same age as Danielle! What on earth? Did the island age her mysteriously or something??
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    Hm
    Click to see Spoiler:

I've actually heard that all the actors have contingency plans in their contracts for next season, so that everyone is on as a regular, but any one of them could be killed off at any moment. This idea came after one of the actors who was getting killed off in October became very upset and insisted on full-season pay in order to come back at all.
    Link: http://www.eonline.com/Gossip/Kristi...5/050523c.html

She does say actor which points to it being a male though actresses have this annoying thing about calling themselves "actors" nowadays, so it could be a female. I'm still betting on Naveen Andrews myself. Note, also, that she says "one of the actors getting killed off"....more than one big name? Or will it be one of the main cast and then Steve or Scott or someone.

Tina Wesson? Uck. I find her annoying. And she does seem the same age as Danielle! What on earth? Did the island age her mysteriously or something??
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Re Tina, if Lost were on CBS, I'd say it's one of those cheesy cross-promotional things they do sometimes. (Like when Raymond visits The King of Queens.) Tina is running through the jungle on an immunity challenge, and Danielle says "Hey look, it's my daughter!"

If they were going to get someone from Survivor, they should have had Probst come in for a reward challenge. "OK, first one to finish the obstacle course - through the hatch, across the dark territory and around the monster - gets fishing line and toothpaste."

+ Reply to Thread