+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lost - Season 1.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada Ranger

Some major news concerning a certain actor's role in season 2:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    During a radio interview for L.A. rock station KROQ, J.J. Abrams said that the network and one of the actors on the show couldn't agree to terms on a new contract and therefore the actor will be payed his desired rate for one or two episodes and then he said the actor will be killed off the show and won't be featured in any flashback sequences.

I'm guessing that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    it's Jack or Charlie, as they are the only actors with a history as a star, so the only ones who might feel they could hold out for more $$. Surely the others are either too new to stardom (Kate) or have been trying to break into acting for a long time (Sawyer) or are sensible journeyman actors who realize this is a big break (Locke) to try to pull something like this. Unless they are under the sway of a nutty agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada Ranger
    Yep. Sometime in mid-to-late September, I believe. 6 or 7 discs, plenty of extras.

from amazon.com:
    This item will be released on September 6, 2005. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives.

DVD Features:
    Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1)
    The Original Pilot

Tales From The Island - new behind-the-scenes featurette

Lost Revealed - expert panel dissects the Series

Backstage With Drive Shaft - behind the music featurette

The Art Of Matthew Fox - on-set photography

Before They Were Lost - original casting tapes

Blooper Reel

Rare Deleted Scenes

Audio Commentaries

Number of discs: 7
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

I'm also thinking
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Dominic Monaghan is the one that wants more money and will be killed off early next season.

I don't really see
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Matthew Fox asking for more money. His ego doesn't seem big enough to do something like that, and he seems blessed to be on such a hit of a show. Plus he bought a house over in Hawaii and has moved his family there.

Lea
    I watched last night as well and boy there was lots of stuff I missed.Hey CR last night is when Rose said the "monster' sounded familer to her. While I was watching I wondered if maybe there are two or more "monsters'. Last nights sounded like the horn on a boat, but other times it sounds different,like construction instruments. Also looking back has anyone else noticed how much Walt has grown up since being on the island.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS
    I hadn't either, but after reading those pages I went back and read the whole thing...now I'm wondering what happened to her that was so bad, and what's in that surfer bag besides a knife!

oh...i didn't go back and read them all...i guess thats my task tomorrow at lunchtime!!! I do hope it has some meaning for the story..the end that is...

and great news about the DVD - will DEF be picking that one up!

Quote Originally Posted by Lea
    I watched last night as well and boy there was lots of stuff I missed.Hey CR last night is when Rose said the "monster' sounded familer to her. While I was watching I wondered if maybe there are two or more "monsters'. Last nights sounded like the horn on a boat, but other times it sounds different,like construction instruments. Also looking back has anyone else noticed how much Walt has grown up since being on the island.
    Here is some lost trivia posted at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411008/trivia
    Trivia for
    "Lost" (2004)
    Jorge Garcia missed his sister's wedding to shoot this show in Hawaii.

The first season depicts the first 40 days on the island. (JJ has said Wlts growth would be a challenge for the slow time on the island).

The first episode debuted on ABC with 18.65 million viewers. The second episode attracted 16.33 million viewers.

Yoon-jin Kim originally read for the character of Kate. The producers felt she was not what they were looking for but decided to create a new character for her along with her character's spouse.

During Charlie's snorting scenes, Dominic Monaghan is actually snorting brown sugar.

Charlie's shoulder tattoo reads "Living is easy with eyes closed". This is a lyric from the song "Strawberry Fields" by The Beatles.

The rocks used in the waterfall cave set are made of rubber so that the sound of the actors, and crew members walking about are not picked up on camera.

When the idea was to have Jack killed off in the pilot, the creators discussed casting Michael Keaton as Jack.

The part of Charlie was originally written for someone much older, but when Dominic Monaghan auditioned, the writers and producers loved him so much that they set about re-writing the part to Dominic's strengths.

The book Sawyer reads is "Watership Down" by Richard Adams. It tells the tale of a group of lost rabbits searching for a new home.

Plane wreckage scenes were filmed at Mokuleia Beach.

Jungle scenes depicting open, grassy pasture areas at the foot of jagged cliffs were filmed in Kaaawa Valley (first season).

Mokuleia Beach is near Oahu's northwest tip (Kaena Point). Kaaawa Valley is over 30 miles away on the island's eastern coast.

Kaaawa Valley is one of the few valleys on Oahu which are entirely privately owned. Many productions were filmed there, including Jurassic Park (1993)'s memorable hiding-behind-the-log chase scene.

Jorge Garcia was the first actor to be cast as one of the survivors.

The sound stage where the cave scenes are filmed is at the old Xerox building.

John Locke is named after English philosopher John Locke, who theorized that before modern society, people lived in the wild in a state of equality and happiness. Likewise, Danielle Rousseau is named for Jean Jacques Rousseau, a French philosopher who wrote that society is corrupt, and that when removed from society, man can become truly noble.

Vincent, the dog, is actually played by a female dog, whose name is Madison.

In "Whatever the Case May Be" (Episode #1.12), Shannon describes having been in France and seeing a children's animated movie about "computer fish" that ends with the song "La Mer" (known as "Beyond the Sea" in English). Although Shannon doesn't know the name of the movie, it is clearly Finding Nemo (2003), although the French dub of Finding Nemo, like the original American movie, ended with Robbie Williams's English cover of "Beyond the Sea" instead of the French source. This show and Finding Nemo are both products of the same parent company, Disney.

The cast was not allowed to see a certain set. They had to cover their eyes until cameras rolled. They were walked down the path, cameras now on, and their reaction to seeing the cockpit leaning against the trees was real. This one-take is what was used in the pilot episode.

In the episode "The Homecoming" (2/9/05) Charlie's date Lucy mentions that her dad is out of town looking to buy a paper company in Slough. This is a reference to the British show "The Office" (2001) which took place at a paper company in Slough.

The symbol that Claire wears around her neck is the Japanese kanji for "love".

In the episode "In Translation", when Jin comes to the secretary's house for the first time, in the background the secretary's kid is watching television. On that television you can clearly see Jorge Garcia.

The symbol on Boon's shirt is the Chinese symbol for the number 84.

wow

just found this at www.oceanic-air.com:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    [IMG]c:pink.jpg[/IMG]

Click to see Spoiler:
    http://www.unsolvedmysteries.com/usm331492.html
    Mapinguari (cryptozoology, and a scientist that says this one is real...) ~heather
    CategoryAncient Beliefs) Created3/20/2003 5:30:00 AM) Viewed (898 times)
    The deep Amazon jungle of Brazil provides the backdrop for tales of the Mapinguari, a large nocturnal animal with a frightful screaming cry. Locals describe the Mapinguari as about two meters in height when standing on its hind legs. It is covered in red hair and emits a foul odor. Its feet are turned backwards and its claws are capable of ripping apart the palm trees upon which it feeds.

Ornithologist David Oren believes the Mapinguari is real. He has searched for it for twenty years. Oren suggests the Mapinguari is a surviving ground sloth, similar to the (presumably extinct) Mylodon . While the smaller tree sloths still exist, ground sloths are generally assumed to have died out around ten thousand years ago. So far no tangible evidence of the Mapinguari has survived close scrutiny.

Oren is not the first to suggest that giant ground sloths still exist. In the 1890s Ramon Lista, an Argentinian explorer, encountered a large unknown animal while hunting in Patagonia. Lista tried to shoot the animal but bullets apparently had no effect. Paleontologist Florentino Ameghino heard Lista's story. He was already familiar with descriptions of such a creature reported by Native Americans in Patagonia. They reported that arrows penetrated the creature's skin only with difficulty. Ameghino posited the creature might be a surviving ground sloth. Preserved skin samples from prehistoric ground sloths showed hard dermal ossicles that would have protected against prehistoric predators and, possibly, arrows and bullets as well. Ameghino named the purported modern ground sloth Meomylodon listai in Lista's honor.

Possibly the Mapinguari, if it exists, is not a giant ground sloth but an unknown large species of anteater. Anteaters and sloths are related animals. The well-known giant anteater Myrmecophaga tridactyla can reach a length of two meters and weigh nearly 40 kilograms. An anteater twice this size might be a candidate for .

Should the Mapinguari turn out to be a giant ground sloth it would not be the first such presumably extinct ice-age mammal to be found still alive in South America. In the early 1970s Ralph M. Wetzel and co-workers from the University of Connecticut discovered living specimens of the Chacoan Peccary, which he named Catagonus wagneri. Peccaries are close relatives of pigs and boars. Prior to Wetzel's find this type of peccary was known only from fossils and had been thought to have died out ten thousand years ago. Wetzel found the living specimens in Patagonia after hearing native stories. The natives called it the tagua. The Chacoan Peccary is the largest of the three known living species of peccary. There are significant differences in the chromosome numbers of the Chacoan peccary and the other two species, indicating they are not closely related. Very little is yet known of the Chacoan peccary's life cycle. It is considered to be an endangered species.

I rewatched the premiere episode last night. Cool! Was Sawyer even in it? And Kate was such a scaredy-cat. Not like the Kate we've come to know and love. The monster noises didn't make that roller-coaster sound that they made in the season finale. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle
    I read about three pages of "what the various little things in Lost could mean"...
    This would be interesting if we were at episode 6 or 7 , but we`re at the end of the first season.
    And what did the final episode actually reveal ? Nothing.

During the first dozen episodes of Lost i was really excited about the show ; plane crash , island , mystery and a good cast. Good television.

Good television.....that has turned into a bunch of bologna.

Nothing ever gets answered , every time a situation gets interesting there is a cut to something nobody cares about , or....it`s the end of the episode.
    I`m tired of the flashbacks , they are breaking the rhythm of the show , during the flashbacks i normally just wait for the show to return back to the island.
    I`m tired of the blonde girl continuesly screaming "my baby , my baby" , or how she does it in her terrible accent "moy byeby".
    I want to throw her and the baby into the hole that Locke allmost got sucked into.
    Or , what is wrong with those people that they are on this island for weeks and weeks with nothing to do and haven`t mapped out the place completely.
    And the french woman has never seen the hatch in 16(!) years ???
    The raft was a "good" storyline too , like we all didn`t know "this thing is going nowhere".
    Like the "Mystery Island" would just let the raft get up and go.

I really liked the show but after 24 episodes and basicly nothing about the island revealed....i feel fooled.
    ...the hatch is open now , big deal.
    I read that the producers are talking about 5 or 6 seasons.
    I`m sorry but i`m not going to sit in front of a tv in 4 years listening to Habib ( or whatever his name is ) say something like "Well....i think we should go this way....".
    I`m not going to sit through years of flashbacks , or even worse , new characters.
    This knowitall teacher-guy got so on my nerves when he popped out of nowhere and started yapping away ; "You know , it`s the monsun season and the wind is....yada , yada".
    I was like "who is this guy".
    I was glad when he blew himself up , what a pointless character.

So , i`m going to check out the new episodes when the next season starts , but if the show continues to be a series of unanswered cliffhangers i`ll stop watching it.
    Hmmm. If I were you I wouldn't bother with season 2. The producers have come up with a winning formula and excellent ratings - they're not about to change things now. I forsee season 2 progressing exactly the way season 1 did, and I couldn't be happier.

Most hour-long drama shows on TV are "episodic". That means that everything gets solved at the end of the hour. LOST is a "serial" - the storyline continues every week, just like life. You seem like you would be happier watching the episodic shows.

Also, many shows are not very intricate. You can follow the plot and at the same time do other things: read the paper, wash the dishes, etc. (I know this because I do it all the time. ) LOST is a show that demands the viewer's complete attention. Just like Alias. Your post suggests you don't pay very close attention; the only character's name you seem to know is Locke's. The "blonde girl" who is continuously screaming about her baby is Claire. Her "terrible accent" is real - the actress was born and raised in Australia. The "french woman" is Danielle. She never came across the hatch in 16 years because it was covered over and she never had the good fortune to drop something metallic in just the right spot. There is nobody named "Habib". The "know-it-all teacher guy" is Arzt. At least he was. And the flashbacks are absolutely necessary for us to learn more about these people.

I normally wouldn't dissuade anyone from watching LOST, but it really doesn't sound like the program for you.
    Last edited by Qboots; 06-02-2005 at 07:26 PM.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I thought this was interesting in regards to the flight...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    from the Oceanic site that CR posted, if you look on the flight tracker, this is what it says about flight 815 -

Flight #815 - Status: Alert - Departed from:SYD - Scheduled departure:14:04 - Actual departure:14:08 - Left from gate:15 - Destination:LAX - Scheduled arrival:03:16 - actual arrival:03:23 - arrival gate:42

The info includes all of Hurley's numbers (I put them in bold), but it also includes an "Actual Arrival" time. Was this a different flight 815, or were there two of them?
    Last edited by jette66; 06-02-2005 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    I rewatched the premiere episode last night. Cool! Was Sawyer even in it? And Kate was such a scaredy-cat. Not like the Kate we've come to know and love. The monster noises didn't make that roller-coaster sound that they made in the season finale. Interesting.
    Sawyer was seen scowling and smking a cigarette. I remember seeing a closeup of his head, and noticing that his roots are curly

+ Reply to Thread