+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lost - Season 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Chach
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I learned what a mapinguari is today!
    Chach...I did too , and I try to learn at least one new thing a day .

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    I did a little search and apparently the characters mean "the eagle rushes the wide sky." That is a line from a poem by Mao Zedong(Chairman Mao) but I don't see Matthew Fox being inspired by Chairman Mao (but who knows). Another place says it is an ancient Chinese saying, which is probably more likely his inspiration, I would think. It is used to describe doing something exciting & brave.
    They are Matthew Fox's tattoos and were not created for Jack (as was mentioned before, I believe). But in the flashback Jack did not have the tattoo, apparently (must have covered it up). So maybe something happened in his life after the wedding where he felt the need to encourage himself to be independent and brave and, as a testament to such, got the tattoo?

If this info is incorrect, and anyone knows better, please feel free to correct me.
    That sounds like good speculation to me, CCL. The tatoos are showing in the show now, right? For a doctor to have gotten such a big tatoo one assumes something major must have happened in his life....that looks like more of a tatoo than one could get in one drunken evening! Kind of a cool saying. Thanks for the research! In the "learn one new thing a day" quest (great idea, jette66) I have Canada Ranger to thank for yesterday and you for today! Yay, FORT!

i am not sure if this has been asked:

but when "the otheres" pulled up in the boat, what did Sawyer do? He shot someone is it? Then what happened? We never saw him again...plus what about Jin? where was he?

I wonder how they are going to survive in the middle of nowhere with nothing...

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by |eogeO
    i am not sure if this has been asked:

but when "the otheres" pulled up in the boat, what did Sawyer do? He shot someone is it? Then what happened? We never saw him again...plus what about Jin? where was he?

I wonder how they are going to survive in the middle of nowhere with nothing...
    Well, apparently, someone shot Sawyer (in the arm, I think), and he fell off the boat, into the ocean. Jin yelled out "Sawyer!" and dove in after him. That's the last we saw of both of them.

I can't wait for next fall. I'm sure Michael, Sayer and Jin will come ashore back at the island, half drowned, but alive.

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    15 miles is a long ways out, but when they do get to shore, I expect them to wind up on the other side of the island.

Quote Originally Posted by kchamber
    Now I believe the monster is something underground.

I don't think we're supposed to see anything pulling at Locke's leg so anything you catch in a glimpse isn't the real deal. You're just seeing whatever device they used to shoot the scene.
    On 2nd viewing, the trees look to be yanked upwards. More importantly, Locke was looking up when he went off to get a glimpse of his old friend. Also, in the pilot episode, the pilot got killed by something above ground.

We see a long black/brown rope-like thing dragging him into the hole. If the producers didn't want us to see it, we wouldn't have. It sounds like a chain driven winch device, like something on a mining/slave ship.

Are the others ancestors of the marooned Black Rock people?

Sometimes I have this vague de ju' feeling with Lost. Not like I've seen it before but sometime familiar about it.

Where else can you have a marooned group of people, isolated on an island but where others stop by for a visit but never rescue...?

Gilligan's island.
    Fabulous Fifty

Want to be green?? Join the Premium Member FORT team. Click for more info!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaky
    Sometimes I have this vague de ju' feeling with Lost. Not like I've seen it before but sometime familiar about it.

Where else can you have a marooned group of people, isolated on an island but where others stop by for a visit but never rescue...?

Gilligan's island.
    Kaky, I make Gilligan's Island jokes/references here now and then, and I get the feeling that most folks would rather I didn't. (Hey, I can't help it. These are two of my all-time favorite shows!)

I would love it, though, if the writers threw just a small bone to Gilligan's Island. Maybe Sun could make a banana creme pie. (I always wanted Locke to start calling Boone "Little Buddy" but it didn't happen.) Or the girls could form a rock band. (They've got Charlie's guitar.) Something!

Re the monster, I think it is very possible that we are seeing other forces/things in addition to the monster that confuse the issue as to what the monster is. Maybe whatever was dragging Locke was something other than the monster. And/or maybe whatever that was moving in the smoke was something else.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS
    That sounds like good speculation to me, CCL. The tatoos are showing in the show now, right? For a doctor to have gotten such a big tatoo one assumes something major must have happened in his life....that looks like more of a tatoo than one could get in one drunken evening! Kind of a cool saying. Thanks for the research! In the "learn one new thing a day" quest (great idea, jette66) I have Canada Ranger to thank for yesterday and you for today! Yay, FORT!

In the beginning of the first season, TV Guide did an article that mentioned the producers at first thought they would cover it up, because they were not sure it was something a surgeon would have, then later decided to let him show it. Don't know when they taped the flashbacks, but some of the epi were showing the tat's and others did not. I don't think they expected us to analyse the details as much as we do, or they may have been consistent. Anyway, I don't think they will be explaining the tats, it is more of an interest to us.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl
    In the beginning of the first season, TV Guide did an article that mentioned the producers at first thought they would cover it up, because they were not sure it was something a surgeon would have, then later decided to let him show it. Don't know when they taped the flashbacks, but some of the epi were showing the tat's and others did not. I don't think they expected us to analyse the details as much as we do, or they may have been consistent. Anyway, I don't think they will be explaining the tats, it is more of an interest to us.
    Knowing FORT I'd be amazed if there isn't someone out there with all the tapes who will nolw quickly hit all his flashback scenes to see when the tats appear, and if they are consistent in their order. If they are consistent I wouldn't be surprised if we get their appearance explained in some future backstory show...who knows, maybe when he got them one of the other guys was in the next chair!
    PS But I do agree, we can get a tad obsessional over this show...probably way more than the writers ever imagined.

+ Reply to Thread