+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lost - Season 1.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS
    Click to see Spoiler:
    What we haven't seen yet is the smell aspects tho....and how could they miss that?

Because, per the
    Click to see Spoiler:
    script, it is a ROBOTIC mapinguari!
    With that variable in play,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the robot sloth could be larger than we'd expect, have no scent, move pretty quickly, and would explain the black soot-like puff of (exhaust??) we got a glimpse of. The article I linked to says that legend has it the flesh and blood mapinguari is "virtually bullet-proof"...imagine that same quality with the robot version!

This all makes me wonder what the heck happened to the
    Click to see Spoiler:
    panda that Sawyer shot... at the time, I briefly wondered if they would eat it, because hey, it's meat, but we never saw it again. Did they move it? Did they leave it to rot?
    Or did they just walk away and forget all about it?
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

I love these computerized translations e.g.,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Great Pie? Big Foot? and Oren = Pray?
    but I think it fits all the clues we have so far and is at least in theory not impossible in reality...that is, not Jurassic Park, not aliens, etc. And note that there is even a hint as to their location in it. And Chach, I have to disagree with your disagreement as they say
    Click to see Spoiler:
    that it moves fast, faster than other sloths. So if you believe it might exist out there (and why not...some large rat thing was just discovered I think in Vietnam, that the locals all knew about, but not the scientists) then you have to go with the locals' descriptions. Also the "protector of the forest" or of the peccaries, depending on the story, fits with defense system pretty well. What we haven't seen yet is the smell aspects tho....and how could they miss that?
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Yeah, the "defender of the forest" thing works pretty well for this. Also the "terrible roar" it makes would make the mapinguari fit with the Lost monster. That roaring noise the monster makes always reminds me of Godzilla. I remember reading or hearing somewhere that the sound effect used for the noise Godzilla makes is the combination of the trumpeting of an elephant and a lion's roar. You also sometimes hear the slow, loud foot-stomps from the monster like when Godzilla is walking. I don't know how to explain the other noises, like the mechanical, gear-like noises we also heard. The same applies with the vapor-like thing we saw in the finale. Maybe that is something other than the monster. Nanomites??

I re-watched the finale last night, and didn't see the furry hand/arm pulling Locke that someone mentioned earlier. (Even if it's there, maybe it was just a hairy stage-hand who got into the scene by accident.)

Click to see Spoiler:
    PWS, my comment about speed was with that scene in mind. I don't see how a mapinguari could pull Locke like that, and pull him so quickly. Doesn't seem very mapinguari-like. And how did it fit in that relatively small hole that Locke was being pulled into? Then again, I don't really know what a mechanical mapinguari is capable of doing.

Quote Originally Posted by totoro
    Because, per the
    Click to see Spoiler:
    script, it is a ROBOTIC mapinguari!
    Click to see Spoiler:
    And it also says "resembling" a primordial mapinguari, so it apparently is a mapingauri-looking robot.

So when is the next episode?
    Last edited by Chach; 05-27-2005 at 07:44 PM.

Can you summarize (and spoiler) the relevant section? Or does it relate to what totoro asks just above? Is that what it is supposed to look like? Thanks!!!
    This is a full transcription:

Click to see Spoiler:
    LOST “Exodus, Part II” REVISED PINK – CONFIDENTIAL (3/23/05)

SUN
    … but to kill a man? How could I? How could anyone?

Sun looks down at the knife in her hand – and at Kate – then, in subtitled Korean:

SUN (cont’d)
    I must be strong. For him.

Kate nods – she doesn’t need to speak Korean to understand where Sun is heading with this – then, as Kate looks away, double checking the clip on her 9mm sidearm

SMASH CUT TO:

EXT. JUNGLE – DAY

Charlie tears ass through the jungle. Every step on the torn, bloodied soles of his bare feet is a lifetime of pain – but he must press on – there is no other choice, as the jungle SHIVERS with the unmistakable –

MMMMMMMMRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOWWWWWW WRRRRRRR!

-- of the monster.

But Charlie’s best isn’t even remotely good enough – he is too tired, too beaten, in too much pain to keep up the pace for much longer – and eventually, like all of the others before him –

CHARLIE FALLS!

And then, as he turns around to meet his inevitable fate, he sees something no one has ever seen –

THE MONSTER

Holy. Freakin’. Lord.

Huge. Mechanical AND biological. Godlike and profane. A passive, multi-tentacled robotic beast resembling a primordial mapinguari – only partially obscured in a cloud of acrid smoke.

And off Charlie – a look of absolute fear on his face unlike anyone could imagine –

CUT TO BLACK:

END OF ACT SIX

And hand-written in red next to crossed out description (which is bold-face on this transcription) of the monster:
    No! No! No!!

No Mapinguari!

NOT YET!

Quote Originally Posted by Chach
    Click to see Spoiler:
    And it also says "resembling" a primordial mapinguari, so it apparently is a mapingauri-looking robot.

Upon re-reading the
    Click to see Spoiler:
    script, I see it says the monster is both mechanical and biological. There is some crazy-advanced bio-morphing android research facility that has been taken over by mad scientists down that hatch!

edit: sorry for the double-post. I am all in a dither!

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Wow!!! What a lot of info!! I really don't envy those who hold to the no reading spoilers policy...they must be going nuts!
    Yes, I think you all are right that it is probably
    Click to see Spoiler:
    mechanical. I didn't have all the clues because, sigh, I haven't seen the show yet, being overseas, and just go by what I read here...and Television without Pity hasn't done the detailed recap yet. SO frustrating!
    Really appreciate all these details.

Speaking of clues....is the close up of Jack's tatoo good enough for our Korean speaking experts to translate what it says? I know it is his own, not one just for the show, but he does say he hopes they can work it in somehow.

FORT Fan
    Now I believe the monster is something underground. The trees we see uprooting aren't being pulled up by some gargantuan forest-stomping dinosaur. They're being blasted out from below. Maybe you've all already had this idea but I couldn't find any posts about it yet. The hatch leads you underground so that's where we'll find out about the beast.

I don't think we're supposed to see anything pulling at Locke's leg so anything you catch in a glimpse isn't the real deal. You're just seeing whatever device they used to shoot the scene.
    Tugboats and arson. That's all I ever get from you guys.

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar
    Wow, I had no idea my post about
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the script (which, btw, we dont even know if it's real!)
    would have caused so much reaction! The way I look at it, it could be 2 different things:

Click to see Spoiler:
    The producers of the show just put it there on the site to throw us WAYYYYYY off the trail of the real identity of the monster, and that that script is just one big farce, meaning that when they DO reveal the monster, it would be a complete swerve

Click to see Spoiler:
    It actually WAS part of the real script, but was then discarded when they decided that they didnt need that scene. If this is the case, they'd probably be thinking that we would be thinking that this would be a farce, so when they did actuall reveal the monster as the same thing in the script, we would be swerved because we did not think it would have actually been given to us so easily (well, it wasnt exactly EASY to find, but you know what I mean

CCL
    Speaking of clues....is the close up of Jack's tatoo good enough for our Korean speaking experts to translate what it says? I know it is his own, not one just for the show, but he does say he hopes they can work it in somehow.
    I did a little search and apparently the characters mean "the eagle rushes the wide sky." That is a line from a poem by Mao Zedong(Chairman Mao) but I don't see Matthew Fox being inspired by Chairman Mao (but who knows). Another place says it is an ancient Chinese saying, which is probably more likely his inspiration, I would think. It is used to describe doing something exciting & brave.
    They are Matthew Fox's tattoos and were not created for Jack (as was mentioned before, I believe). But in the flashback Jack did not have the tattoo, apparently (must have covered it up). So maybe something happened in his life after the wedding where he felt the need to encourage himself to be independent and brave and, as a testament to such, got the tattoo?

If this info is incorrect, and anyone knows better, please feel free to correct me.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada Ranger
    Click to see Spoiler:
    That just goes without saying with this show, doesn't it? Yes means no and no means yes, except when no actually means no and yes means maybe.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, but isn't fun having a little something like this to chew on? I mean, it almost-kind of-not really-makes a whole lot of perfect (non)sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada Ranger
    Click to see Spoiler:
    would have caused so much reaction! The way I look at it, it could be 2 different things:

Click to see Spoiler:
    The producers of the show just put it there on the site to throw us WAYYYYYY off the trail of the real identity of the monster, and that that script is just one big farce, meaning that when they DO reveal the monster, it would be a complete swerve

Click to see Spoiler:
    It actually WAS part of the real script, but was then discarded when they decided that they didnt need that scene. If this is the case, they'd probably be thinking that we would be thinking that this would be a farce, so when they did actuall reveal the monster as the same thing in the script, we would be swerved because we did not think it would have actually been given to us so easily (well, it wasnt exactly EASY to find, but you know what I mean
    Yeah, it's all thanks to you, CR! I don't know how you found that.

Click to see Spoiler:
    My first reaction was that it's fake, but who knows? And it doesn't really seem to fit with what we know of the "monster." But hey, what else do we have to do?? I learned what a mapinguari is today!

+ Reply to Thread