+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lost - Season 1.

To me, it seemed like last week was more of a finale than last night! I felt closure with Exodus part I, but I am certainly dying to know a hundred more things after part II!! So we got the best of both worlds with that sentimental episode last week, and the cliffhanger-ridden episode last night! I'm not at all disappointed, for those who are keeping score.

I had a fit when Arzt blew up...initially from being totally and completely shocked, and then from being shocked that I had been so totally and completely shocked!

When I saw the girl on the boat last night, I immediately thought THAT'S ALEX, followed by the feeling that the rest of the men with her must have been children of the island's previous generations of survivors, all grown up... all of them having been specially chosen by the 'island' for some sort of...I don't know...harvesting of their special abilities, either for creating a SUPERPOWER by joining them together, or for using them as a power source for the 'island'.

Last night was a freakin cornucopia of 'the numbers', wasn't it? I couldn't help but feel that the producers saw that wacky list someone posted awhile back and thought they'd give us a little more to chew on!

Also... up until last night, there was a consistent theme of "he/she wasn't supposed to be on that flight" but the whole Jin thing threw me off. It seems like he was going to stick to his original travel plans, and then disappear in California. Hurley stayed on-theme, by pushing so hard to get on the flight he seemed destined to miss. Charlie? Made the flight even though he was running late, but I think he was returning earlier than he originally expected because of Liam's refusal to sign up for the tour. Any others you can think of?
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

Quote Originally Posted by totoro
    Last night was a freakin cornucopia of 'the numbers', wasn't it? I couldn't help but feel that the producers saw that wacky list someone posted awhile back and thought they'd give us a little more to chew on!

Also... up until last night, there was a consistent theme of "he/she wasn't supposed to be on that flight" but the whole Jin thing threw me off. It seems like he was going to stick to his original travel plans, and then disappear in California. Hurley stayed on-theme, by pushing so hard to get on the flight he seemed destined to miss. Charlie? Made the flight even though he was running late, but I think he was returning earlier than he originally expected because of Liam's refusal to sign up for the tour. Any others you can think of?
    Sayid also wasn't suppose to be on that flight and was suppose to leave a day earlier, but delayed his flight so he could give his friend that shot himself a proper burial.

I also got the impression Locke wasn't suppose to be on the flight when the gate agent said they couldn't find the wheelchair to take him onto the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by jette66
    I also got the impression Locke wasn't suppose to be on the flight when the gate agent said they couldn't find the wheelchair to take him onto the plane.
    Actually, Locke shouldn't have been on the flight because he had planned to be on a walk-about, but the tour guide wouldn't accept him in his condition, so he had to go home.

Today I find myself thinking a lot about Ethan. Who the hell was he? I always assumed he was one of "The Others". But now we have discovered that The Others didn't want the baby, they wanted Walt. So why was Ethan so intent on capturing Claire? Also, Danielle must have been helping him, since Claire scratched her during the period of time that she was missing. Ethan couldn't have been part of Danielle's crew - they're all dead. So who the hell was he, and why was he in cahoots with Danielle?
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Lea
    Well we now know how Danielle got the scratches, can we asume that Ethan got them the same way? I had a question. Is abc owned by Disney or vise versa? The reason I'm asking is someone thinks Locke was dragged off by something that sounded like a roller coaster and we have pirates and pirate ships maybe the passengers crashed on an amusement park from hell. If there is a conection between ABC and Disney maybe someone doesn't like each other and this is their way of getting back. It may sound dumb but it still is a therory.

One other thing: I can't imagine the girl on the boat could be the same girl from Charlie's hotel room. The hotel room scene took place the same day as the flight, which was a little over a month ago. The girl appears to have been hanging out with bearded-guy and his friends for years.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    I still say the only thing that really explains everything is that it is a dream or fantasy by Locke involving people he saw while waiting for the plane....or sitting on the plane while they loaded walking by him (an early boarder due to the handicap) hence in the fantasy he is so central and has magical powers almost, and can walk. All the back stories are just things his subconscious made up. But, yes, I know, the dream solution has been explicitly ruled out. Sigh!

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    Today I find myself thinking a lot about Ethan. Who the hell was he? I always assumed he was one of "The Others". But now we have discovered that The Others didn't want the baby, they wanted Walt. So why was Ethan so intent on capturing Claire? Also, Danielle must have been helping him, since Claire scratched her during the period of time that she was missing. Ethan couldn't have been part of Danielle's crew - they're all dead. So who the hell was he, and why was he in cahoots with Danielle?

Hmmm interesting. Maybe he was part of Danielle's group and had the same thoughts in a "trade" for Alex. Ethan seemed more mysterious than the "others" that were on the boat, they didn't seem as ethereal as Ethan (I hope I'm spelling that word right), the guys on the boat almost seemed like drug smugglers, but what would drug smugglers want with Walt.

My head hurts.
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    What was weezerette's "nice catch" I can't find her original post!

I haven't seen the entire episode yet, but I have read everyone's comments since then. The thing that keeps sticking in my mind(and that I am going to look at very closely when I watch) is the comments about the girl on the boat(who threw the dynamite on the raft??) looking like the girl in Charlie's hotel room before he left.(I saw that part!). She was freaking out on him, trying to get whatever heroin he had for her next fix. Is it possible that it IS the same girl--SOMEHOW--and that is why the heroin plane is on the island? How to write that in, I don't know, but perhaps, just like Walt, this girl has the power to make what she wants to happen, happen.

I was referring to the numbers on the speedometer when he ran out of gas:
    Some other number occurances I don't think anyone mentioned yet, at least that I noticed.

At the hotel Hurley was in room number 2342, which were two numbers in the series. When the car broke down the speedometer went from 16 kph to 15 to 8 then 4 - all numbers in the series.
    Quote Originally Posted by totoro
    Hurley stayed on-theme, by pushing so hard to get on the flight he seemed destined to miss.
    I think Hurley missed the original flight when it passed over his head as he ran out of gas. The next flight was the one he tried so hard to get on and well, it "was his lucky day" and he got on the fated flight.
    Last edited by Mike'sgirl; 05-26-2005 at 06:12 PM.

I'm not sure about all of that. If "The Others" wanted Walt all along, they've had plenty of opportunities to grab him on the island. They didn't have to take a boat to get to him. And I am not sure that the Others didn't want Claire's baby. Why did they take Claire then?

And are the Others after the kids because they are both supposed to have special powers, or do they just like kids?

One other thing: I can't imagine the girl on the boat could be the same girl from Charlie's hotel room. The hotel room scene took place the same day as the flight, which was a little over a month ago. The girl appears to have been hanging out with bearded-guy and his friends for years.
    I think the chances of the hotel-room girl being the girl in the boat are basically zero. The girl in the room was just a throwaway character to re-empasize what a junkie Charlie is.

It is, however, possible that the people on the boat aren't The Others, but are other people (The Other-Others). Maybe they are other survivors of the crash, and Charlie's heroin-chick was on the plane. I don't buy it, but that's the most likely scenario I can come up with for that being the same girl. The hotel-room girl isn't part of The Others, though. No way.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS
    I still say the only thing that really explains everything is that it is a dream or fantasy by Locke involving people he saw while waiting for the plane....or sitting on the plane while they loaded walking by him (an early boarder due to the handicap) hence in the fantasy he is so central and has magical powers almost, and can walk. All the back stories are just things his subconscious made up. But, yes, I know, the dream solution has been explicitly ruled out. Sigh!
    This would actually make a lot of sense. If the producers/writers said it isn't a dream (which I think they did), does that mean it can't be a daydream? This does seem like the kind of daydream Locke would have. Though in my daydreams Kate and Sun would be the only ones on the island with me...but I'm not Locke.

Quote Originally Posted by Chach
    It is, however, possible that the people on the boat aren't The Others, but are other people (The Other-Others).
    The Other-Others? God help us all!

Yeah, I guess my main point is that Ethan and the boat-people both had different goals, so he must not have belonged to their group. And since Danielle seems convinced that The Others wanted Walt, and Walt has been taken by the boat people, it would be easy to assume that The Others = the boat people. 2+2=4. Although, with LOST, one should never assume.

+ Reply to Thread