+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lost - Season 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    I believe it's because he has a weak stomach which causes him to "hurl". Remember the scene on the beach where Jin gives him something to eat, which he does, and then promptly throws up? Plus, Jorge Garcia uses "ThinkImGonnaHurley" as his online username.

So next week they will rerun episode 11, "All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues". (A Jack episode) Does anyone have any info on which other episodes they may be showing us during the hiatus?
    Q, I believe they are also reshowing the Kate/toy airplane episode on March 16. I'm looking forward to that one because that is the only show I've missed so far.

Another question about Hurley and his nickname. Didn't he tell Walt a LONG time ago that he was once known as a "warrior"? I didn't see anything in his backstory that would show where that came from. Did anyone else?

I didn't either, but they always leave us with some threads hanging. Was the cut scene already filmed? If so, there must be dozens of people who know what was in it. I don't know where to go (besides here) for spoilers so if anyone hears any good spoilers about the cut scene, could you bring them here? Thanks. I loved how Hurley struck out on his own to find Danielle. He really did seem like a warrior. I absolutely loved how he responded when she validated that his number was cursed. Awww. Something I keep forgetting to post about last week - for anyone who thinks Jin is over-reacting to Sun's English secret - "saving face" is a huge concept in Asian cultures. She basically threw it in his face in front of everyone that she had been keeping a major secret from him. For a wife to disrespect her husband like that in public is practically unforgivable. And finally, don't worry about Boone being in the background for now. After Sun's episode we didn't see either of them for a while. It is just hard to keep all the balls in the air at once.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    Does anyone have any info on which other episodes they may be showing us during the hiatus?
    March 9 - All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues (Jack)
    March 16 - Whatever the Case May Be (Kate)
    March 23 - Hearts & Minds (Boone)
    March 30 - Special (Michael/Walt)
    April 6 - Homecoming (Charlie)

And here are the new ones beginning April 13:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    April 13 - Deus Ex Machina (Locke)
    April 20 - Do No Harm (Jack)
    April 27 - Sides (Sayid)

From www.Lost-media.com

I loved learning about Hurley, but there is still a lot we don't know about him. For example, what exactly was the hardship he put his family through? I'm pretty sure he was a patient at that mental facility - why was he there? I hope we'll find out more in another episode.

I can't believe how much I have come to love this show.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

At least I can watch new episodes of The Shield while Lost is on hiatus. I've had to wait nine months for more new episodes of The Shield, so six weeks is nothing!

FORT Fogey
    From 2 days ago but has some interesting tidbits.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...tm?POE=LIFISVA

Dude, he's a real fan favorite
    By Bill Keveney, USA TODAY

It might seem difficult to stand out in a cast of 14 regulars.

But not for Jorge Garcia, who plays Hurley, the laid-back dude on the ABC hit Lost.

He's distinctive for his size (6-foot-1 and 300-plus pounds), especially in a prime-time TV world populated by the ultra-thin.

But it's more than that for a character who has quickly become a fan favorite. The wild-haired Hurley provides a welcome respite from the suspenseful, harrowing events of Lost (Wednesday, 8 ET/PT). "He's a regular guy. I think that appeals to people. And he lightens up the intensity of the show," says Garcia, 25. "A lot of times I'll find people telling me I'm their kid's favorite."

What makes him distinctive to fans? "Hmmm ... size, hair, his interest in others and humor," says Courtenay Cross, a moderator of fan Web site lost-tv.com. "He is the needed comic relief for the mysterious events that go on."

So far, on an island of secrets, a few fragments of Hurley's background have been revealed. His real name is Hugo Reyes; he's a bad speller and his salutation of choice is "dude." He built a two-hole golf course for fellow crash survivors who needed a break from battling polar bears; conducted a passenger census that revealed outsider Ethan; and showed up, mysteriously, on Korean TV during a flashback in last week's episode.

Viewers will learn more tonight in an episode that focuses on Hurley, last of the Lost 14 to receive the life-story flashback treatment. On the island, he takes off in search of the French woman, Rousseau, who tortured Sayid (Naveen Andrews). The mystifying cable that led Sayid to Rousseau's lair also returns, Garcia says, speaking by telephone from Hawaii, where Lost is filmed.

In his flashback, "You see what brought him to Australia," where the flight originated, says Garcia, who grew up in Southern California. "It has a Citizen Kane-style ending. There's a Rosebud moment."

Garcia, who performed at open-mike nights while attending UCLA, started building a TV following with a role on CBS' Becker. He sees parallels between himself and Hurley: Both are "easygoing, get-along-with-everybody kind of guys, (but) I'm pretty sure I can spell better."

Similarities shouldn't be a surprise. Lost's writers reworked the Hurley part originally an older character to fit Garcia.

J.J. Abrams and Damon Lindelof, two Lost creators, wanted to cast Garcia after seeing him play a drug dealer in HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm. They saw a comic talent but also an actor with an emotional core, Lindelof says.

"He could read the phone book and make you laugh," says Carlton Cuse, who oversees Lost's writing staff with Lindelof. "When you see his episode, I think people will be surprised by the emotionality."

Fans relate to Hurley. "While we may respect Jack's (Matthew Fox) initiative or Locke's (Terry O'Quinn) survivalist skill, it's refreshing ... to see someone getting squeamish at the sight of blood," says Emily Rawn, 23, of New York.

Although Hurley has flat-out comic moments, others are tinged with sadness. After Charlie (Dominic Monaghan) apologizes for accusing Hurley of hoarding food, he mutters, "Yeah, I'm used to it."

"The best comedy also breaks your heart a little bit," Garcia says.

Garcia, who is single, is happy to be in Hawaii his parents have visited and thrilled to be in Lost. He acknowledges being an unlikely candidate for a cop or lawyer role. But Lost does give Garcia some action moments.

"In the pilot, getting to do that run-and-jump explosion scene I was high-fiving Matty (Fox)."

Lucy and Kevin...so cute! Reality tv fan's Avatar
    Hmmmm...didn't Hurley mention in a previous episode that he was known something like a ''warrior'' back home.....I don't know how it ties in with what they showed of his backstory...but I'm guessing we will have to wait for another Hurley back story to find out what it meant for him in his life.

I just really liked this weeks ep and Hurley's backstory. Hurley is our "everyman" on the island, and that is why he is so likeable.

I really loved it when Hurley told the guy in the asylum that he used the numbers for the lotto and suddenly the guy snaps out of the trance..."You used the numbers to play the lottery???" I thought he was going to freak out and yell "that's my money...gimme my money"
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Great episode last night, I love Hurley's character and background. The episode revealed just enough to keep me curious too. This show is really good. I used to love Alias, but on Wednesdays I'm way more interested in what's going on on LOST now.

I love reading all your observations and speculation. I came on this bandwagon a little later than a lot of you, so my brother sent me a tape of the first 5 episodes I missed. Maybe after watching that I'll have more to contribute to this discussion. In the meantime, it's fun just to lurk in here.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Welcome SnowFlakeGirl! We have noses like bloodhounds in here - and good imaginations, too. Since the thread is so long, if you have questions about whether something's been covered, feel free to pm me.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread