+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lost - Season 1.

Ray's widow had lost a leg. The farmer Kate had stayed with had lost an arm (and his wife as well, I believe) Coincidence? Probably not. Perhaps Ray and the farmer were related? or perhaps the farmer had heard of/used the numbers as well?
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

FORT Regular

The number 42

According to the English humorist and science fiction writer, Douglas Adams, (he wrote The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) the number 42 is the ultimate answer to life, the universe and everything.

For whatever this speculation is worth!

God, the producers would be in hog heaven to know we are thinking about this so hard. I love it! I'm not as good with the details as you guys, but am eating up every bit of this. Keep it coming!

By the way, The Wrinkle in Time series is great. And it is just freaky enough that maybe it is supposed to have something to do with this story also. *cue Twilight Zone music*

How are we going to survive through six weeks without any new episodes?
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by pixie98642
    According to the English humorist and science fiction writer, Douglas Adams, (he wrote The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) the number 42 is the ultimate answer to life, the universe and everything.

For whatever this speculation is worth!
    Pixie - GREAT recall. (great book, too, by the way)

OK - aside from 23 possibly indicating the 23 Psalm (The Lord is my shepahard...") here are some very interesting results of a google search on "23" (note: some of this stuff is intruiging - some just very very odd . And I thought I was a ) http://www.geocities.com/fairyoflyonnesse/
    Last edited by ADKLove; 03-03-2005 at 02:25 PM.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Lucy and Kevin...so cute! Reality tv fan's Avatar
    On another note....loved the tender little scene with Sayid and Shannon

815 was also the safety deposit box that Kate was after.
    Didn't Walt say he was born in August? (8th month).
    Some one earlier was able to figure out that the Chinese symbol on Boone's shirt was 84 (or was it 48?).

ETA: So I'm thinking this is the list of numbers that the writers are allowed to use in their plots. Any combo of these numbers, but no other numbers.
    Last edited by JulyMeg; 03-03-2005 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove
    OK - aside from 23 possibly indicating the 23 Psalm (The Lord is my shepahard...") here are some very interesting results of a google search on "23" (note: some of this stuff is intruiging - some just very very odd . And I thought I was a ) http://www.geocities.com/fairyoflyonnesse/
    Very interesting, ADK. I think this was the most significant of the findings...
    On the Seinfeld show, Kramer hides an Air-Conditioner on level purple 23 of a parking garage

Okay, now I see how we can occupy our time for six weeks. The numbers gave us a lot to play with...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    Qboots: I've not taped the earlier shows, so I can't watch Locke's episode. What anvil was dropped last night, that indicated that Hurley owned most of Locke's employer's box company? In Locke's show, did they prominently display the name of the company, so it was an easy connection? I love that you caught that fact, but what was the process?
    As far as I know, the actual name of the company has never been mentioned.

In episode 10 (Raised by Another) Hurley goes around interviewing the castaways and checking them off the manifest. Locke tells him he's from
    Tustin California.

In episode 11 (All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues) Locke and Boone are searching for Claire. Boone asks Locke what he does for a living and Locke tells him he's a Regional Collections Supervisor for a box company.

Last night, one of the flashbacks shows Hurley's accountant telling him that he's the major stockholder in a box company in Tustin. 2+2=4.

As for the number of remaining castaways: neither the pilot nor the guy who was sucked into the engine were included in the original head count of 48.
    So 48 minus the Marshal, minus Joanna, minus "Scott" = 45.
    Last edited by Qboots; 03-03-2005 at 02:49 PM.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I really wonder if the survivors were sitting in rows 23 through 42 on the plane when it crashed.

Three unrelated thoughts:

Who (besides me) is playing the lottery with those numbers?

It's interesting that in the article about Terry O'Quinn (Locke) posted a few pages back, he mentioned that he is into numerology. I guess he really did find a good fit with this show!

Also, these numbers have significance in the world of sports. They are the jersey numbers of some legendary players. There is a nice distribution between football, basketball, baseball and hockey players. I have no idea how this relates to the show, but here they are:

4 - Bobby Orr
    8 - Cal Ripken, Jr.
    15 - Bart Starr
    16 - Joe Montana
    23 - Michael Jordan
    42 - Jackie Robinson

ETA: This was post #200!!! Party at my place!

+ Reply to Thread