+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lost - Season 1.

I never read Lord Of The Flies.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

I never had either, nilesgirl, but my son read it this year in school and I think there were references to it early on in this thread. They land on an island because their plane crashes (is shot down?) and half washes out to sea. Ralph is elected leader without seeking it and is (so far) kind and fair. There is a beastie on the island (giant snake?). A fat boy and a withdrawn, intense fellow. And another guy is all about hunting boars. Ha! I'm only 58 pages into it.
    Count your blessings!

Thanks for the welcome!

Hope I don't give the impression I don't like Locke, because he is the most interesting of the characters in this for me so far. I have no idea if he is "good" or "bad", but I will be watching to find out! I guess his smile reminded me of when he smiled at someone(?) in the first episode with the orange in his mouth. For a second, I couldn't figure out what he had in his mouth, and then you could tell it was an orange. That incident also kind of wierded me out. He just comes across as at times sort of scary or wierd or something. And then at other times he is just so normal and the only one that you would really trust out there. Can't quite get a handle on him. Everything about him interests me, from his reason to go to Australia, to his ability to walk after the crash, to his quirks, and his 2nd sense of things. I could go on and on! (but I'll stop!)

Well, thanks for letting me semi-lurk! I might even start reading The Lord Of The Flies again (from wayyyy back in high school!). I had a thought about that also & Gutmutter's observations have me wondering! It seems to me that book didn't work out too well at the end!, but can't quite remember! Anyway, Thanks again!

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl
    I never read Lord Of The Flies.
    Any Lost fan should read it--it's pretty readable and very relevant. Not to provide too many spoilers for the readers, but as was already hinted, we can hope Lost doesn't follow the Lord of the Flies line too closely!

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    And now I really want to give Sawyer a big ol' hug, poor guy.
    I'd like to give "Sawyer" a big ol' hug too, but for my own personal reasons - 'cause he's hot!!

Quote Originally Posted by zekjet
    Everything about him interests me, from his reason to go to Australia, to his ability to walk after the crash, to his quirks, and his 2nd sense of things. I could go on and on! (but I'll stop!)
    Don't ever stop silly, we love speculation! I can't explain my fascination with Locke, but I know he is special in similar way that Walt is. About his 'walking"- yeah there is a lot of mystery there, which I hope will be answered before the end of 1st season.

My thinking - and this may be completely off the wall- but I was thinking that Locke had been harboring this secret fear of what life would be like for him without his disability. Sometimes it is easy to make up excuses for why things don't go the way you want, when you have a crutch to hide behind. The show does seem to revolve around people learning lessons and evolving from past mistakes, so ????.

I loved Lord of the Flies, but you're right, it has been so long, it is time to read it again! I remember the basic plot, but the most of the symbolism of the book escapes my feeble brain!

I'm sure it has been discussed here about the fact that a lot of the people have criminal pasts, or have done criminal acts, and I know this is kind of silly, but the diary on the ABC site also mentions something very cryptic about surviving some ordeal in Louisianna, and now the person has to deal with this. I also wondered about the fact that Australia was settled by convicts from England. Anyway, my two cents at the moment!

PS thanks Mike'sgirl!

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar
    I remember reading LOTF 2 or 3 years ago in high school, and I remember most of it.

The conch (the big shell thing) played a big role in the book, symbolizing order and civility. Piggy and Ralph held onto it the most, because they were the two who were still clinging to their humanity. All the other children had turned into murderous savages, while Piggy and Ralph were turned into outcasts because they didnt conform to the majority. I'll spoiler tag the end of the book for those who havent read it:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Piggy gets a rock crushed onto him, killing him. Ralph hides in the jungle, but the other children smoke him out to try to kill him. There's a chase scene, and finally they all come across a group of army officers who have found the island and have come to take them all home. Finally faced with an authority figure, they all revert back to their child personas, and start crying.

I just finished it and am not ready to put into words the analogies I'm drawing. Certainly hope the series is not based on the book too closely. Just this tidbit... Locke is the only older person of the main characters. That may be a reason his interaction with the beast is different than the others'.
    Count your blessings!

Wow, tonight's ep is AMAZING. I'm surprised no one is on here talking about it!

Oh, and Sawyer mentioned "Lord of the Rings" tonight!

Edit: I cant summarize everything that's happened so far, but I'll try to give some main points:

-The raft gets finished,
    -Sawyer is the other person going on the raft.
    -the raft gets burned very early on in the ep.
    -Jin got his dog for Sun from the man he was supposed to kill.
    -Jin didnt kill the man, he only beat the crap out of him, so the real killer wouldnt kill the man Jin was supposed to kill; in essence he saved his life.
    -everyone accused Jin of burning the raft, but Sun finally spoke up in front of everyone and told them he tried to save the raft. Everyone now knows she speaks English.
    -Jin, furious about this, packs his things up and leaves the caves (I think).
    -more Sayid/Shannon flirting.
    -Jin is right now talking with his father, who Jin had originally said was dead.
    -....and commercial.

Wow, this ep seems to be one of the best this season. It advances a lot of the different plot, and reveals a lot about the characters (Jin not being a killer but Sun thinking he is, Sun speaking Englishg in front of everyone). All of the characters are in it too.

Edit 2:
    -Shannon kisses Sayid.
    -Locke goes to see Walt, plays Backgammon with him. Locke figures out that Walt burned the raft. Walt says he doesnt want to move anymore, and he likes it here. Locke says he likes it here too.
    -next morning, Michael starts to make a new raft, and Jin joins him to help. Jin says 1 word: "Boat".
    -LOL, musical montage plays, but cuts out. It was Hurley's walkman the whole time! Hurley says "son of a B#!ch" and puts it down. LOL
    Last edited by Canada Ranger; 02-23-2005 at 08:56 PM.

holy schnikies, this is THE best Lost episode yet. I cried twice tonight....I can't believe what Jin did, for Sun's father and what he told Sun....jerk.
    You are who you are...and I wouldn't want to change a thing...- Madonna

Cant wait for TWO previews coming up!

the CTV preview, and the ABC preview.

Edit: CTV preview: Darnit, no preview!

ABC Preview: WOW, lots of action next week. The group goes looking for the French woman. There's a shaky wooden bridge involved, the bridge breaks. There's booby traps (wooden spikey ones and explosive ones!). Hurley goes running through the jungle, and ends up looking face first into a gun (probably the French woman).
    Last edited by Canada Ranger; 02-23-2005 at 09:02 PM.

OMG, OMG, OMG
    Click to see Spoiler:
    WALT BURNED THE RAFT....WALT BURNED THE RAFT

my jaw has never dropped more...did you see those previews????

And, I liked the end when they showed Charlie and Claire and then Hurley and his stomach sticking out like Claire's....

FORT Fogey
    Just an AMAZING episode... alright now on to Alias/West Wing/American Idol... damn 9 is so rough for me...

CCL
    No preview on CTV.
    Poor Hurley and his walkman. Did anyone notice when the Chinese girl was watching tv the first time Jin visited the Environment Minister that Hurley was on the tv? Hmmmm...
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

This ep goes right up there among the best of the show. The good thing about having the lackluster episodes (Charlie 2) is that the ones that air after it (Sawyer 2 and Jin) can only get better and better, which is true! Sawywer's ep last week was good, but this ep was great! And next week looks to be even better, with the French woman plot advancing. And who doesnt love booby traps!!?!?

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    and next week may reveal some of the island's mysteries.
    Hurley staring down someone's barrel ?

sort of weird when everyone just walked away and left Jin and Sun at the beach. No apologies.

I was starting to worry at the end that Sun was walking into the ocean with no intentions of coming back.

damn Canadian TV......since it aired, next weeks preview is not spoiler material:
    a group goes out to investigate the island, they find a suspended bridge that collapses when Charlie's on it, Jack's leg sets off a trap, a swinging pendulum-like thing filled with spears, there's an explosion, and Hurley has a rifle shoved in his face. Sounds like the work of a crazy frenchwoman
    Last edited by SQUATMAN; 02-23-2005 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada Ranger
    And next week looks to be even better, with the French woman plot advancing. And who doesnt love booby traps!!?!?
    or is it the French woman? Remember, there are other people on the island besides her.

Quote Originally Posted by madonniac
    or is it the French woman? Remember, there are other people on the island besides her.

True. For all we know, there could be 3 groups: French woman (what WAS her name again?), Ethan, and the Other People. There hasnt been any concrete information that any of those 3 are affiliated. Heck, there could be dozens of tribes.

Speaking of concrete, once again, no work on the hatch, at least none from Locke. Maybe since Boone was hardly seen during this ep, it meant he was working at the hatch while Locke 'kept up appearances' so to speak.

+ Reply to Thread