+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The L Word

Re: The L Word

Horrible finale. Show had been going downhill for a while, and that finale made it easy not to miss the show. I understand the decision to focus on Jenny, after all, the show began with her character introducing us along with herself into this group of friends. What I do not understand is if they wanted to address the issue of a woman finding her true sexuality why make the character so completely jacked up? Why is she a sociopath? It was a case of thinking that the basics could not be interesting enough and that the audience needed this fruit loop of a character to follow. In the end there was no way to connect with a main character like that. Had she simply been a woman, who had loved men, who fell in love with a woman, and along the way discovered that she actually preferred women that would have been enough. No...we had to get the screwed up childhood and the cutting and the total dysfuntion that actually minimized (at least in my view) her self discovery. A simple story of self discovery would have been fine, instead we got this twisted character that we were suppossed to be willing to follow on this journey. On the best shows, even the hated characters have something that make you love to watch them. I truly hated every moment Jenny was on the screen. As for the show as a whole, I even missed the opening scenes they did in season one to give us a bit of backstory and tie into the chart a bit. I would actually look forward to seeing those and understanding the history of the characters involved in the show that week. Also, I know that Bette and Tina were supossed to be this couple we were cheering for, but since day one we knew they would end up just how they did, and I truly enjoyed watching Alice and Tasha much more, just as I loved Alice and Dana as well as Shane and Carmen. All in all, the show chose to follow the least likeable characters, and along the way lost the flow it had in the first couple of seasons.
    Last edited by KeepItReal; 03-19-2009 at 10:49 PM.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Re: The L Word

very well stated, KeepItReal ... i agree COMPLETELY.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345