+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kilborn to quit Late, Late Show

Kilborn to quit Late, Late Show

See this and this
    Talk Show Host Kilborn Quits Late-Night Gig
    Friday August 13 4:10 AM ET

Late-night comedian Craig Kilborn is quitting his CBS talk show after a five-year stint in the time slot following "Late Show With David Letterman," Hollywood's trade papers reported on Friday.

Kilborn and Viacom Inc. -owned CBS had been in talks throughout the summer for a new multiyear deal keeping him at the helm of "The Late, Late Show with Craig Kilborn," but he told network executives on Thursday that he wanted to move on, according to Daily Variety.

"It was easily the greatest job I've had, and CBS was very generous in their offer to re-sign me," the paper quoted Kilborn, 41, as saying. "But I simply want to try something new. I can now focus on writing and producing different television projects I haven't had time for."

Kilborn will leave his Los Angeles-based job by early next month, Daily Variety said. It speculated that CBS may try to lure Conan O'Brien, whose NBC show outdraws Kilborn's in the 12:35 a.m. slot. However, it noted that O'Brien's contract with the General Electric Co. -owned network does not expire until December 2005.

During the past 12 months, "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" has averaged 2.5 million viewers each night, compared with 1.6 million for "Kilborn," according to the Hollywood Reporter.
    Craig Kilborn Signs Off
    Friday August 13 1:00 PM ET

By Lia Haberman

Night owls have lost one of their own.

Late Late Show host Craig Kilborn gave notice Thursday after five successful seasons on the CBS talker.

The network had purportedly been in talks with the sardonic talk-show yakker this summer about extending his contract, but Kilborn has apparently decided to shift to a career behind the scenes.

"It was easily the greatest job I've ever had, and CBS was very generous in their offer to re-sign me," Kilborn told Variety. "But I simply want to try something new. I can now focus on writing and producing different television projects I haven't had time for.

"And this is cool: I will continue to wear makeup in my everyday life."

Sources say he's expected to take his final bow at the end of this month or early next month, sending CBS and the show's production team, David Letterman's Worldwide Pants, scrambling for a replacement.

The first name suggested to fill the empty chair by Industry watchers is Conan O'Brien, NBC's Late Night host whose deal with the Peacock expires in December 2005. While NBC hopes to keep O'Brien at its Rockefeller Plaza studio, the self-deprecating funnyguy has been open about his desire to switch to shift time slots

But it's hardly a done deal. O'Brien is likely to look for some type of guarantee that he'd be groomed to take over Letterman's spot when the Late Show host steps down, which isn't due to happen anytime soon. And since O'Brien has another year on his contract, CBS would be forced to make do with guest hosts until the redhead could come aboard.

Meanwhile, Kilborn leaves his post on a high note. The show's audience has grown 34 percent since he took over in 1999, averaging 1.7 million viewers this season. He's also regularly trounced time-slot competitor Jimmy Kimmel Live, though O'Brien remains the 12:35 a.m. leader.

No word yet on what specifically Kilborn will be doing after next month. The original host of Comedy Central's Daily Show, he got his big break in the early '90s on ESPN's Sports Center. Since then Kilborn's also dabbled in feature films with a role in last year's Old School. He'll also appear in the upcoming Wes Craven werewolf thriller Cursed.
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

No! I like Craig Kilborn! Better than I do Conan. *sigh*
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I'm a Craig-ers fan, too (even though he can be a sexist pig)

Can't see Conan making the leap (and I think he's a little dull, anyway)

Maybe some new blood, seeing as it's Lettermand production company. Just as long as its not some hump like Carson Daly

Maybe Dave Mordal and Rich Vos, together - think we can start a write-in campaign????
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

ADK, are you reading my mind again?

I thought the same thing about Vos-Mordal when I was reading this.

We are obviously spending too much time together in the Counting Game Thread.

Reading your mind? (runs off to look for :washyourmouthoutwithsoap emoticon)

Don't you think they'd be good, though?
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Craig gone??? NO!!!! What terrible news.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I'm not surprised.

I love watching Kilborn. He is hilarious and his show is very addicting. I find Conan funnier but when I start watching Kilborn I can't stop. Any show he starts writing for will be lucky to have him.

Jimmy Kimmel is my first choice - Kilborn my second .. too bad I won't be sharing my insomniac moments with him anymore.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I have NEVER been able to stand Craig Kilborn. He's so arrogant & tried to imitate Letterman too much. Toodles Craig!

Jimmy Kimmel is my favorite as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast