+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Golden Days of MTV

FORT Regular

Golden Days of MTV

I'm not sure if this is in the right spot, so please move it if need be.

With all of the I Love the 70s, 80s, and 90s, I am really missing what I call the hey-day of MTV. I mean the beginning of it, from August of 81 til they came out with "Amuck Across America". Yak, what a pile that trash was.

I was eight years old the summer of 81 when MTV first came on the air, and I learned of it from my older brothers. I was hooked immediately. I would spend hours in the TV room of my folks' house, planted in front of the telly, my crap all spread out around me - snacks, toys, markers and paper....

In the beginning it was all videos, all the time. There were no programs, no shows. No Real World, no Sports... There were big chunks of time where MTV would be having "technical difficulties...please stand by" and it would just show that phrase with a sketch of a cameraman busy plying his trade. I would wait with growing anticipation for the videos to resume.

They ran it different, too. The original VJs, as familiar to me as my family, were five...Nina Blackwood, Martha Quinn, Alan Hunter, JJ Jackson, and Mark Goodman. You knew them well, picked out a fave (mine was Nina, natch). They had regular tour date information and premiered new videos with great fanfare. I remember when no one had heard of Kurt Loder and the Music News was delivered by whatever VJ was on duty that hour.

Just me, or anyone else missing these days?
    Last edited by happydude; 07-28-2004 at 12:26 PM.

You mean MTV shows videos? What a shock!!!! Yeah I miss the old days, I worked overseas and had tapes of the network sent out so that we could keep up with the music back home. You could turn on the tv and use that as background music while puttering around the house. Martha Quinn was my fave.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

I miss remote control, sandblast, and fear. Those were my favorite shows. Now they just show a lot of bad documentaries and realizty shows. Also, the big thing: WHERE'S THE GOOD MUSIC!?!?!

It is so conformed to the teenage girl audience that guys like me cannot enjoy that music.

I actually like a lot of their programming. Since they play the same videos over and over, I think they're on enough.

I grew up and when MTV was actually MTV I looked sooooo foward to what were the latest music videos out then. The opening credits on the hour still rings in my memory....

They started bringing in some shows like Remote Control, Real World, Aeon Flux and Beavis & Butthead. I am still on a search for The Adventures of Stevie Washington & Zoya that they played then. Disco Zombies anyone?
    I won't give up until I find somethig on these 2.

Ok where was i....

The slew of VJ's I miss and some I wont :rolleyes

It's nice to think of when the channel was good then....

FORT Regular
    Remote Control was the first "show" they tried. MTV had been airing other established shows, like The Young Ones (on Sunday nights at midnight; I could only watch it if there was no school the next day), but Remote Control was the first one made for MTV. I had gave up a little on MTV at this point, but came back for Liquid Television, where Aeon Flux (never really knew how those sections fit together) and Beavis and Butthead (how can you say it's not funny?!?) first aired.

Anyone remember The State? Sketch comedy show from the early 90s with Michael Ian Black, Thomas Lennon, and Kerry Kenny? All three were also in Viva Variety on Comedy Central, and all three have been on Reno 911, the latter two regulars.

I liked Fear. I also liked Scariest Places on Earth, was that on Sci Fi? I miss both of those shows.

Scariest Places on Earth was on the Fox Family Channel before it became the ABC Family Channel.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    The last time I really watched was when Beavis and Butthead were a regular show. After that, it quickly went downhill. Now, every time I flip through the channels, MTV is always having some kind of "Gangsta Hour" with "MC Krip Killa" and his crew. Ah, no, thanks. I'll pass on that one.

But yeah, it used to be pretty cool back when they actually showed videos. Real videos... not all the gangsta (c)rap/teenie bopper pop.

I want my hair bands back, dammit!
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

FORT Regular
    Beavis and Butthead deserved to have their own show, they were that entertaining. I thought Daria was a MUCH better show, though, and I am really disappointed that that series ended. That was MTV's swan song.

Hair bands rock! I remember when Def Leppard's "Photograph" was the hottest new video, played on heavy rotation. They also had a nightly top ten videos countdown for a bit, and Motley Crue's "Home Sweet Home" was the big sweeper for weeks and weeks.

Ahhhhh, good times.....

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I loved the old days too . Not sure if you can get it where you are , but we have MTV2 which is basically old school MTV - ie they show videos and not a lot of the other crap.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast