+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: CSI axes two stars

I'll miss George Eads, but I won't miss Jorja Fox much.

Now, if they can just weed out most of the cast of Miami, I'd be happier

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...&u=/ap/cbs_csi

More chatter about the same thing... then at the very last there is this priceless comment... concerning the money both actors were being paid... keeping in mind that Mr. Moonves is the President of CBS.

When "CSI NY" cast members were asked to comment on the actions by Fox and Eads, only Carmine Giovinazzo was game.

"I'd be shining Moonves' shoes and caddying for him every weekend if I was making that much money," the actor said."

Mooves wanted the part for girlfriend, Julie Chen

Rumor has it that he's gonna replace Jorga Fox with his girlfriend from the CBS Early Show and he didn't want George stealing her away from the old fart. So he'll cast Dave Price instead.

Les Mooves is an idiot if you ask me. The network is making a ton of cash from that show on reruns and spin offs . What's it to them to pay out a little to the staff.

Where is Dave Letterman when you need him.

:phhht

Here is another source concerning Les Moonves' comments about these two and CSI: NY cast member's comments as well. This comes from Michael Ausiello, TV Guide, in his "Press Tour: Day Seven" article. I only included the comments about the firings and CSI: NY below, and left out the parts about other shows. Ausiello is a funny guy and injects his humor into the diaries. His earlier articles are still posted at TV Guide Online under the Insider section if anyone is interested. Ausiello believes that Eads and Fox could be re-hired based on Moonves' refusal to respond directly to Ausiello's question about this possibility. I think it is wishful thinking.

-------------------
    9:30 The Q&A portion starts and... the first question has nothing to do with the CSI crisis. I'll fix that.

9:32 "A year ago at this time, Brad Garrett showed up for work a month late and was rewarded with a significant raise," I begin. "And last week, George Eads and Jorja Fox were late on their first day and fired for it... " Moonves interrupts me right here: "No, you're wrong. They didn't show up at all." Details, shmetails... Regardless, I ask him to explain "how these two situations are different."

9:32:30 "First of all, it wasn't a month later. It was a few days late that Brad Garrett didn't show up." (Note to self: Check into this. I'm pretty sure it was at least three weeks.) "We did a negotiation [with Garrett]," Moonves continues. "We brought him back into the fold. We were having discussions with lawyers [for Eads and Fox], and there were certain veiled threats [made] about their not showing up... I'm sort of old-fashioned: I believe when you and I shake hands and we sign a deal, it's a deal. By the way, what has not been reported is that we did offer them a raise, even though we didn't have to."

9:42 Moonves says CSI producers have not yet found replacements for Eads and Fox, but insists, "We're talking to certain people."

9:44 "Clearly, he showed that he is a little worried about the CSI franchise by those remarks," says Moonves of Dick Wolf's assertion last week that CSI is merely a "franchise" while Law & Order is a "brand." Moonves goes on to predict that CSI: New York is "not going to beat Law & Order" when the two shows face off on Wednesday nights this fall. "However," he adds, "CSI: New York is going to do better than we've done in that time period in decades."

9:49:30 Moonves refuses to comment on the possibility that Eads and Fox may end up coming back to CSI after the dust settles. Translation: The possibility exists, big time.

10:01 The session ends, and dozens of reporters rush the stage to get more quotes from Moonves. I decide to play it cool and gradually work my way up to the mob.

10:02 Once there, I push myself to the center and once again ask him if there's a chance Eads and Fox could return. "I'm not commenting on that," he repeats. "We're looking at other actors." They're so coming back, it's not even funny.

CSI: NEW YORK (debuts Sept. 22)
    10:33 Exec producer (and CSI creator) Anthony Zuiker refuses to slam Dick Wolf for essentially dismissing CSI. Damn.

10:35 Zuiker says CSI: NY will be "more character-driven" than the other CSIs.

10:35 I swear costar Carmine Giovinazzo could be Ryan Seacrest's long-lost twin.

10:37 "I was saddened by the news," Zuiker says of Eads and Fox's firings from the original CSI. "[But] it is show business, and the show must go on."

10:53 Oooh, I've got a question to ask. Gimme that mic! "This is for the cast," I announce. "Let's say, hypothetically, that you're a couple of years into your contract... " The crowd, sensing where I'm going with this, starts to laugh. "... and you're no longer happy with the money you're making. Would you still honor your contract, or would you consider not showing up for work?"

10:53:30 Before anyone can answer, Zuiker chimes in and says, "We should keep this about CSI: NY. I respect the question, but let's keep it about CSI: NY, could we?" When I argue that "this is about CSI: NY," Zuiker gives newcomer Giovinazzo the okay to "take a stab at it." "The reaction I had to that," he says, "was I'd shine Moonves's shoes and caddy for him every weekend if I was making that much money. I hope I'm not stepping on... biting my tongue here." We'll know for sure five years from now.
    -------------------

I found a new article about this controversy. http://www.tvguide.com/news/thebiz/040719.asp
    It's by Stephen Battaglio, who writes The Biz column at TV Guide Online. He believes Fox will be back but not Eads.

--------------
    Terminated Two: George and Jorja are no longer on CBS exec Leslie Moonves' mind.

We can already picture the opening scene for the fifth-season premiere of CSI this fall. Lifeless prosthetic versions of George Eads and Jorja Fox will be laid out on the examining table in the morgue. Robert David Hall will shake his head as he writes down the cause of death: breach of contract.

Eads and Fox are the first victims in Viacom co-president Leslie Moonves' war on rising programming cost. Eads and Fox didn't report for work for start of production on CSI, so Moonves went Donald Trump on them last week.

"We offered them more money after Season 4," said Moonves at CBS's Sunday session at the Television Critics Assoc. press tour. "And it wasn't enough. This behavior has to stop if the people in network television want to stay in business. The lawyers, agents and managers have to realize if we're going to be in business for a long time, things have to change. It's time that people realize that we can't be the whipping boy."

The agents for the two actors probably thought history was on their side. Last year, the supporting cast members of Everybody Loves Raymond staged sick-out until CBS agreed to renegotiate their deals for a bigger payday.

Big mistake. Not all CBS stars are created equal. Raymond is a character-driven situation comedy. It has made a gazillion dollars for CBS in syndication, and keeping the tight-knit ensemble together on the show was worth it. Even as a loss leader for a season or two, Raymond had value as a lead-in into the network's new hit Two and a Half Men.

CSI is a procedural drama that rarely follows the characters home after work. Just ask the many Law & Order actors who've gotten their walking papers from that show's producer Dick Wolf when their contracts were up. The cast members are cogs in the self-contained storytelling machines these shows and their spin-offs have become.

Moonves pointed out that Eads and Fox, who had seven-year contracts with CSI, received raises after the show's first season. The increases offered for the fifth season apparently weren't enough. Eads' agents must think that Evel Knievel cable movie their client made is really good.

Moonves declined to comment on whether he would take Eads and Fox in if they come crawling back. Reporters at the TCA seemed to take that as a sign that forgiveness is a possibility (The Biz is betting yes for Fox and no for Eads). But Moonves said the network has already started looking at other actors. Production will be shut down this week, he added, so that the first episode can be rewritten.

But this is also an opportunity for Moonves to make a larger point. While CBS's ratings are strong, the long-term outlook for the broadcast network television business is challenging at best. The slow but continuing loss of audience share to cable and the growth of digital video recorders that make expensive network TV commercials easier for viewers to skip will eventually take its toll on ad revenues.

"There comes a point where we all have to look out for the future of the network television business," Moonves said. "It's no secret that four of the six television networks lost money last year we are one of the two that didn't. NBC is the other one."

Moonves' hard-line approach could also be a byproduct of his new role at Viacom, which puts him in direct competition with former MTV Networks head Tom Freston for the chairman's job. Moonves is already known as a talent-friendly showman. Now he could be out to show he's a tough business operator as well.
    --------------

Quote Originally Posted by Belfastgirl
    To be honest it's the stories not the actors who make me watch CSI.
    True but it doesn't hurt to look at hottness.

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    George Eads was definitely hotness. Well, now Jorja Fox has time to go see an orthodontist....
    I me some Marty Casey. Go Marty!

Quote Originally Posted by Siryn
    George Eads was definitely hotness. Well, now Jorja Fox has time to go see an orthodontist....
    MEEE-YOW!

Can't take a good day without a bad one
    Don't feel just to smile until I had one
    Where did I learn?
    I make a fuss about a little thing
    The rhyme is losing to the riddling

3rd castle on the right with a bunch of flying monkeys. do not disturb. really.
    i guess jorja is comming back...

BACK ON THE JOB: Exclusive sources telling E! News Live that Jorja Fox will report back to work at CSI and it was just a misunderstanding with CBS.

http://www.eonline.com/News/firstlook.html
    It's you and me against the world...we attack at dawn.

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    Good for her, but... darn, no orthodontist time now.
    I me some Marty Casey. Go Marty!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast