+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Will and Grace

FORT Fogey
    I've been thinking about the way that they had Will and Grace essentially apart from each other for 18+ years. I think it had to be that way.

The entire premise of the show was that Will and Grace were each other's everything - you'd want them together and married and happy if Will weren't gay. They were, for all intents and purposes, each other's spouse, and the reason why none of their relationships worked out. They really didn't write many of their breakups to be specifically because of each other - but each filled the void the ohter had for a long term romantic relationship.

So in order for their marriages to work to Vince and Leo, they had to be out of each other's lives. When Will had a really big moment, he needed VInce to be the one he'd share it with - not Grace. In most best friend situations, it's easy to have both. But the two of them were so connected to each other, that it wasn't the same for them.

In some strange way, I think that they're being apart for 18 or so years had to happen to make their marriages work - and they both deserved happy marriages.

I agree, Veruka,
    It made a lot of sense, but that didn't make it less sad.

FORT Regular
    I missed the finale. Other than the webcast does anyone know if there will be a repeat?

Quote Originally Posted by Sancerre2001 View Post
    I missed the finale. Other than the webcast does anyone know if there will be a repeat?
    Don't know about a repeat but I saw a commercial that the finale will be released on dvd fairly shortly.

I had no idea Megan Mullaley (sp?) could sing so good! She was fantastic in her duet with Sean Hayes. I got teary-eyed at the end when they went from older looking back to their present day selves.

Veruka, you did a good job of giving an explanation as to why Will & Grace could have wound up apart all these years - that they needed to in order for their relationships with their significant others to work. That explanation is the only way I can even begin to be okay with why they didn't stay in touch with each other and it makes sense. But I still would have preferred them to have remained in each others lives. All in all, a good ending to a good show.

My boss was telling me all about it and it was cracking me up! I'm really bummed that I missed it.

Does anyone know if there will be a repeat?

eta: Only on DVD? Bummer.
    Last edited by Maveno; 05-19-2006 at 07:25 PM.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Regular
    I just watched the webcast, nice finish. I think Megan Mullaly (sp?) came out with a cd a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post

I had no idea Megan Mullaley (sp?) could sing so good! She was fantastic in her duet with Sean Hayes. I got teary-eyed at the end when they went from older looking back to their present day selves.

To me, the scene where the characters, Jack and Karen, performed the duet for "Unforgettable" in the series finale was my favorite. Simply beautiful! For that matter, and in my opinion, practically ANY of the scenes with Sean Hayes and Megan Mullaly, in character, together during the finale (or the show, itself) were the best of "Will and Grace".

It's not that Debra Messing and Eric McCormack were "small potatoes". I think that both of them are very talented and, of course, contributed a lot to this show. However, I always thought that Sean Hayes and Megan Mullaly were the "top bananas" in "Will and Grace". They really carried this show. One of the things that did make me laugh during the finale was that sly reference made when Jack and Karen were in the bubble bath......

Not long ago, I found out, in passing, that Sean Hayes could play piano and sing a bit, watching a rerun of "Saturday Night Live" on E. Several years ago, I found out that Megan Mullaly could sing. I believe she would be considered as a caberet singer. As I recall, there's a Chicago connection for her, since I do believe that she is a product of Northwestern University's music/drama department. Megan has done some live performances, here in this area.

Otherwise... I thought that the series finale was "hit or miss", pretty much a mixed bag. Some stuff worked for me, while other stuff didn't. Most of the jokes fell flat, save for the material that I cited (above). But, at least, there were other, more "dramedy"-like moments that worked for me, e.g., when Grace got back together with Leo, Will got back together with Vince, Jack and Karen got Will and Grace back together after a 2-year rift between the two of them, and, in the end, both Will and Grace ended up having children who, in turn, ended up marrying each other. Then, of course, there was the situation where Jack and Karen ended up together, after Jack inherited Leslie's fortune and, then, Jack could turn around and take care of Karen, after she lost Stan's fortune. That situation, in particular, was so sweet, since Karen had previously taken care of Jack, and , later on, he was in a position to give back.

So, I would say that, by the end of the finale, everyone's storylines/plots had (pretty much) come full-circle, although the "route", along the way (especially Thursday night) was a hot mess. One could say that true love and real friendship won, in the end, with the couplings and the partnerships.

I think that the show was at its best in its earlier years. I started losing interest (and stopped watching the show, for the most part), though, sometime after Stan had supposedly "died", and Karen was about to marry another man, a few years ago. To be honest, I watched the series finale, mainly out of curiosity. And, I must say that, to my surprise, it was fairly satisfactory, all things considered.

But, hey, there is always syndication to help me relive the good times on "Will and Grace", in its "days of old" ... In my market area (and like "Friends"), this show lives on, in syndication, on a couple of channels. And, I hope that the principals (lead actors) got a sweet syndication deal, one like I heard that the "Seinfeld" folks got ...

Debra
    Last edited by catwoman1955; 05-20-2006 at 01:56 AM.

I'm going to miss that show!!!

Me too, MidniteLace.

I haven't followed the show that faithfully this last season, but had to tune fore the finale, and it made me cry! I thought it was very touching.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by catwoman1955 View Post
    To me, the scene where the characters, Jack and Karen, performed the duet for "Unforgettable" in the series finale was my favorite. Simply beautiful! For that matter, and in my opinion, practically ANY of the scenes with Sean Hayes and Megan Mullaly, in character, together during the finale (or the show, itself) were the best of "Will and Grace".

It's not that Debra Messing and Eric McCormack were "small potatoes". I think that both of them are very talented and, of course, contributed a lot to this show. However, I always thought that Sean Hayes and Megan Mullaly were the "top bananas" in "Will and Grace". They really carried this show.

Megan's character was always tops for me. So much talent, such a perfect fit for the material!

+ Reply to Thread